Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

I have many black hats. I think they go with just about anything. Here is a nice one. :)

4155344949_509b43af24_b.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I like it, Rick. A horsehair would look great on it too, IMO.

Che, not surprisingly, that is a doozie of a black beauty! striking.

I like yours too, Blackthorn. Come to think of it, I really like black.

Oooh, Steve, that's one of your best.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I like it, Rick. A horsehair would look great on it too, IMO.

Che, not surprisingly, that is a doozie of a black beauty! striking.

I like yours too, Blackthorn. Come to think of it, I really like black.

Oooh, Steve, that's one of your best.
Thank you, Bowlerman.

Thanks! Yes it's a 1930s J. Hückel´s Söhne Sigma Foulard. It's actually a light weight Velour. Jeff, Thanks too!

Last edited:

Bitzelbook

New in Town
...taking a leap of faith that in a thin ribbon western fedora I will no longer be mistaken for a Rabbi. :kev:

Man, you guys really can give a guy a complex! :D I admit: I've a tendency for big black hats, but that's the yeshiva bocher in me. I started coming here when it occurred to me that I don't have to wear *only* big black hats, and I've been grateful for the education. I've thought about posting this "confession" in the pimp thread--people assuming about hats--and in the wide-brim thread--my everyday hat has a big big brim.

Thanks for helping me with this hat transition, all!

Most of the Orthodox black soft felt hats have around 4 inch brims. Also I rarely wear my black hats with suits (don't even own a black suit).

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rick ! thats a nice black champ TAR....OR style
any one ever see a black Stratoliner?
Mayser,,,Now he has some of the best & oldest black hats....those black seal finish, Man pure luxory

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ok, so is grey the universal go-with-everything color? If you dont wear black hats all that much often, then when do you wear a black hat? Would you pick a black hat as your second hat? Or would you go with say a cooler/darker grey for #2, and then black, or would you go with a medium brown?

I wore a pair of corduroys today, british tan, with a checked shirt and a chocolate brown sweater. My Akubra Stylemaster in fawn/brown would have been too monochormatic. Black is severe and my Stetson Saxon in Caribou looked great. Tried a red and blue sweater. I am thinking maybe a darker grey would be more universal for me, but then again, I tend to overthink things

My .02,

Choose a gray for number 1, a brown for number 2, black for numbers 3-10... after that, go with your intuition. Remember to have fun with it. Nobody is paying as much attention as you. ;)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
To me a black hat is a very strong statement. The color also doesn't suit me, I'm told, as well as browns and greens. But I do have one nice Manhattan-brand fedora w/ a 2 3/8" brim, one I call my "Roy Earle" hat, after Bogart's character in High Sierra. I'd like to wear it more often -- but it shows dust and hairs easily.

ETA: This is THE one. I'm not sure it's really black, but somehow any other color on James Cagney's Cody Jarrett just doesn't seem right:
vlcsnap-2012-09-03-14h54m39s179.png

Last edited:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I can't believe I started this thread almost 9 years ago! In the mean time I've bought 3 black fedora's. A vintage Borsalino, a Stetson Open Road and a custom one from Adventurebilt. I do wear them but not as much as my other ones. But I definitely would not want to be without them.

fedoralover

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Mr fedoralover, that is my issue. I am not going to have more than 2, 3 hats. My dilemna is keep the black to go with the Caribou/midgrey stetson, or return it and use the money (it was $65) to put down on the Bailey Madison in darker grey, in fur felt ($135). the black hat is wool felt and is shorter in back going to a 2 1/8th inch brim in front. I am thinking I might wear the darker grey more and keep the Stetson for suits only?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I found it's hard to limit myself to only having a few options to choose from. It's easier to have a few of every basic color then no matter what you wear you will have a hat that matches. Trying to keep your hat stable to only 2 or 3 may end up being a bit limiting. I'd suggest getting what first of all matches the majority of your clothes. Then over a period of time pick up a few in other colors to match some of the other items in your wardrobe. You don't have to get them all at once. If you keep your eyes out for bargains you can over time, get enough hats to suit every need.

fedoralover

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred