Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I know me. Heck I was up to three and look at me dithering. I tend to use what I have a lot. I am 50-50 on ditching black, and then again, keeping it because in fact, it is not another grey. The side that says ditch it says what others have said - limiting, harsh, attracts dirt, they dont wear it as much as they grey

I had 2 black hats, hardly wore one, seldom wore the other.
Down to 1 now & wear it for specific events. Would not really miss it if I didn't have it.
If I was limiting my available hats, I would not waste a unit with a black one. JMHO

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Man, you guys really can give a guy a complex! :D I admit: I've a tendency for big black hats, but that's the yeshiva bocher in me. I started coming here when it occurred to me that I don't have to wear *only* big black hats, and I've been grateful for the education. I've thought about posting this "confession" in the pimp thread--people assuming about hats--and in the wide-brim thread--my everyday hat has a big big brim.

Thanks for helping me with this hat transition, all!
Many faiths are included under the umbrella of the big black hats! ;)

MITCHNightHunter.jpg

wise-blood-brad-dourif.jpg

hebrew_hammer_01.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I know I have posted these pics in other threads, but since this is a Black Hat thread, I figure the Stetson can rear it's head here too.

1920's/30's Stetson No.1 Quality that was refurbished by it's previous owner to become a Fedora type hat.

02211.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Rise up, black brigade. Rise up from the grave!

Here are a few contributions:

Resistol 4X western, brim cut much shorter than I intended, due to damage control from my first attempt...

001kzo.jpg

Wormser Whippet clone with sharksgill ribbon:

0153fy.jpg

Stingy Resistol Homburg:
010sai.jpg

Here's a rabbit-inspired shot that was meant to show the differences in 2 dark greys versus 2 blacks. In direct sunlight they all look different.
004lwa.jpg

More another day! I have too many black hats.

Here's a shoutout to Alan and carouselvic, although this Resistol 3X is modern and nowhere near the quality of those others.

imgp4057n.jpg

Last edited:

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I've got one black hat at current, a Prince's hat I think they call, basically a homburg without the gross-grain ribbon taped and pencil rolled brim edge, though I enjoy the hat enough and even have it on in my user pic, but still....I wish it had a taller crown like my old homburg that my father absconded with had.....Ugh, as to what hats; I've got two dark brown ones, one more greenish brown and beaver, one more chestnut, but beaver fur blend I think, a panama, that I usually keep in a box, one tan straw hat with a red and blue striped hat band, a cap, and etc. But, I've dying to find a good pearl or medium gray homburg again, and also a buff coloured one like I used to have (my father absconded with that one too), it was the real killer, I used to wear it for riding, it went perfect with all of my tweeds and was VERY OLD, maybe teens or something around there, 100% beaver fur....Oh the Humanity! But yeah, Oh, I've got one other black hat! It's a black hat like zoro wore in the old television show, but without any gold trim. Hahahaa!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Splintercellz, was that one from "dazzerdog?" on eBay? He does interesting refurbishments. Are they well executed?

Yes it is! Dinerman had it at one point (still original), then it went to Dazzer (I think thats the story), and well... this happened. The sweat he installed is nice, but the hat bands he picks to use are well... interesting to say the least!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Splintercellz, was that one from "dazzerdog?" on eBay? He does interesting refurbishments. Are they well executed?

I have purchased two hats from Dazzerdog, before he learned about a source for replacement of ribbons/hat bands...both hats were in fantastic condition and he was very honest in everything listed about the hats I purchased. I have no idea why he puts such "bulky" hat bands or ribbons in them, but he does sell hats so someone must like the look?!? I would not hesitate to purchase from him again, if he had something I liked in my size.

KNezz

New in Town
I know I have posted these pics in other threads, but since this is a Black Hat thread, I figure the Stetson can rear it's head here too.

1920's/30's Stetson No.1 Quality that was refurbished by it's previous owner to become a Fedora type hat.

02211.jpg

^
This reminds me of this. Very cool.

"Secret Window" - Johnny Dep

Secret-Window-johnny-depp-27709725-969-399.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo