Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez...I am dying to get another nice black fedora....like a idiot I sold my two black hats already, my vintage Dunlap and Roadmaster Gun Club.....the hats I have now (all but a few brown and one gray) are some shade of silverbelly and all thin ribbon! Even my straw/panama hats are ready to call a mutiny on me for not having one nice black fedora! lol!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
^
This reminds me of this. Very cool.

"Secret Window" - Johnny Dep

Secret-Window-johnny-depp-27709725-969-399.jpg

Haha! It does, doesn't it! (I also get the, "you look like Johnny Depp" a lot... I just don't see it. Hmmm.)

One Too Many
Coach, I have had a couple of Wiltons in the past. Good hat for the money and with a little Scotchgard
[for water protection] they held up very well.
Yes, I have 3 Wilton, all are made in USA, last summer I wanted acquire one more, but now this brand is made in Chine with low quality, mine, was acquired before 2008.
Cheers ¡¡¡

navaja

New in Town
David Morgan sells the Akubra Adventurer in Black as well as brown. This is a mighty fine hat. I wear the black one almost every day and it is excellent for the wet weather in the Pacific NW. I have had no shrinkage problems or any problems for that matter. I recommend looking into it.

-30-

A-List Customer
"....like a idiot I sold my two black hats "
QUOTE: LoveMyHats2.

That was never an act of "idiocy", just a momentary act of judgement failure!
(Unlike a fine lady, there is always another around the next corner.)

Regards to both,
-30-

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Good eye, Landman, it is indeed a Stylemaster, in black. I did a web search and found Bernie Utz, in Seattle. He doesn't have a web site so I had to call him and give him my credit card number on the phone. It made me nervous, but it paid off in a very nice hat. You can find him here:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/byrnie-utz-hats-seattle-2

Lucky guess on my part! I have a Stylemaster in Acorn I believe. Nice hat but yours in black really looks nice.

Dr Roly

New in Town
Black Hats

I just picked up a black Akubra and it occurred to me that I don't see many black hays in general. Not on the forum or in general. Lots of silver-grey, fawn, cream et but not black.

Is there some sartorial rule concerning black hats that I'm not aware of?

I don't think it's to do with temperature; I've just spent a day's hard walking in the heat and the black Akubra's been cool as a cucumber.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Some people don't like black hats because of the "lack" of deep. I do how several and use them often.

Forgot about this thread. Some "new" black hats.

Stetson Big Country (5" brim)
20140502.jpg

Stetson 30x beaver
20140503.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm definitely no fan of Black hats. I have no love for them at all....except for this one. It's the only Black hat I ever really liked and it's one of my favorites in my collection. This is a Resistol Stagecoach that I converted to a Western / Fedora hybrid. I reblocked the crown and trimmed the brim to 2 7/8 inches wide, (sorry Joao). I then added this Khaki colored mid-ribbon...

Black_Hat_01.jpg

Black_Hat_02.jpg

Black_Hat_03.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I have purchased two hats from Dazzerdog, before he learned about a source for replacement of ribbons/hat bands...both hats were in fantastic condition and he was very honest in everything listed about the hats I purchased. I have no idea why he puts such "bulky" hat bands or ribbons in them, but he does sell hats so someone must like the look?!? I would not hesitate to purchase from him again, if he had something I liked in my size.
I bought three from him and they were all excellent purchases. His prices are very reasonable too, especially for his Stetsons, Resistols, Bradfords, etc. I'd definitely buy from him again. He's a good guy to deal with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR