Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

Silverstreak

New in Town
I have a black narrow brim Scala which I enjoy quite a bit. It was one of my earliest hat purchases. I avoid wider brimmed black fedoras as I do not wish to be mistaken for a man of certain religious affiliation, especially if I let my beard grow out.

Here is some of my Black Hat menagerie.....
M

Attachments

• 20161103_134949.jpg
    20161103_134949.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 20161103_135222.jpg
    20161103_135222.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 20161103_135020.jpg
    20161103_135020.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 280

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I can tolerate a black western hat, but beyond that, I have no love for black hats. You can't even get the creases to show up, hardly, unless you stand under a light of some sort. Then, the hat looks either grey or brown in the pictures or it looks like either a black pyramid or a black box sitting on top of your head, depending on the block shape. I don't like black hats, at all.

With that said, I'm currently working on a conversion, another black western that had some brim issues. This one will be a fedora. It's been stripped down, trimmed, reblocked and creased. I just have to put everything back together again and sew on a new ribbon that Esther gave me. I went with a tall straight sided block and gave it a deep tear drop crease. Just wish it wasn't black...

Black_Hat_1.jpg

Black_Hat_2.jpg

Black_Hat_3.jpg

Black_Hat_4.jpg

Black_Hat_5.jpg

A little Rock A Billy from Johnny Cash. Check out Luther Perkins on the Telecaster. He was legendary...

Unrelated to Luther, Carl Perkins. Another legendary artist in Rock A Billy...

Another one to come out of the Sun Recording studio was Jerry Lee Lewis...

Last edited:
I can tolerate a black western hat, but beyond that, I have no love for black hats. You can't even get the creases to show up, hardly, unless you stand under a light of some sort. Then, the hat looks either grey or brown in the pictures or it looks like either a black pyramid or a black box sitting on top of your head, depending on the block shape. I don't like black hats, at all.

With that said, I'm currently working on a conversion, another black western that had some brim issues. This one will be a fedora. It's been stripped down, trimmed, reblocked and creased. I just have to put everything back together again and sew on a new ribbon that Esther gave me. I went with a tall straight sided block and gave it a deep tear drop crease. Just wish it wasn't black...

Black_Hat_1.jpg

Black_Hat_2.jpg

Black_Hat_3.jpg

Black_Hat_4.jpg

Black_Hat_5.jpg

A little Rock A Billy from Johnny Cash. Check out Luther Perkins on the Telecaster. He was legendary...

GREAT Job on the re-blocking....look forward to seeing it all trimmed out!!!
M

RJR

Black_Hat_1.jpg

Black_Hat_2.jpg

Black_Hat_3.jpg

Black_Hat_4.jpg

Black_Hat_5.jpg

Its looking good,TJ.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Black_Hat_1.jpg

Black_Hat_2.jpg

Black_Hat_3.jpg

Black_Hat_4.jpg

Black_Hat_5.jpg

If you do some super light colored contrasting ribbon on the brim edge and around the crown of that hat, it will help the lines of the hat show up greatly! I had a hat recently done by BOND and wow, it looks great now on Daniel. Before that hat was just one big blob of black, but now it is a work of beauty! You can contact BOND and ask him what color he used, it is just super nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24