Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Borsalino Bellini

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Well, a couple of points -

First, the Bellini is pretty much standard headgear for Hasidim.

Secondly, now, if the harlot were Hasidic, you might be on to something.

MAB1

Suspended
Obviously you don't know who Fellini is.

But, I appreciate the humor. I've seen the "Hebrew Hammer." Not a Fellini film. :D

Magus

Practically Family
Though Bencraft Hatters are fine people...it is my belief and understanding that anything Borsolino made past about 1980 really was not worth the money. I would (personally) buy the NOS hats up for auction in the merchants area any day of the week over the one you linked. Vintage Bosolino....now THERE is a hat.

Just my two cents

MAB1

Suspended
Magus said:
Though Bencraft Hatters are fine people...it is my belief and understanding that anything Borsolino made past about 1980 really was not worth the money. I would (personally) buy the NOS hats up for auction in the merchants area any day of the week over the one you linked. Vintage Bosolino....now THERE is a hat.

Just my two cents

The same can be said about any hat made these days. HATCO ring any bells? I didn't think that Borsalino had fallen that far.

It's why I asked. :)

Having just these past couple of days disassembled and cleaned a pair of Borsalinos, both of which were purchased new within the past decade, I can add support to Magus's contention.

Removing the ribbons showed both bodies to have faded considerably. The crowns were quite tapered (these are both the narrow-ribboned "Alessandria" model, that Open Road-esque hat that has a tall, straight-sided crown when new). The liners were both glued in (as opposed to stitched), and not with just a little glue, either. Both had a bead of glue running clear around the insides of their crowns. The ribbons had also lost their original color (except in those places where they were covered by the bows). The sweatbands were no great shakes (thin, chintzy looking, the embossing long ago gone away). But hey, the liners ain't bad! I mean, once you get past the fact that the printed lettering on the liner tops had worn off. (No machine embroidery here, no sir, and no plastic top protector. That might have added production cost.)

The real drag of it is that these hats were quite handsome at one time, and not at all inexpensive. Sure, they got a lot of use, in all kinds of weather. Even $600 customs have been known to taper and all when subjected to that kind of use. And maybe there is something to MAB1's contention that the offerings from other manufacturers aren't all that stellar, either. But man, I didn't fully appreciate just how much these hats had suffered, and how cheaply put together they were, until I stripped them down. In comparison to another hat I finished up just today (took apart, cleaned, blocked and flanged, installed new sweatband, ribbon and liner), the Borsalinos look pretty lame. And that other hat? It's a Columbian-made rollup job also bought new within the past decade, but it cost only 60 bucks or so, as I recall. And it truly is a better hat.

The best I can say for the Borsalinos at this point is that they are making for good learning material. They'll look good again, I'm confident of that, once they get new sweats and ribbons and their crowns and brims get whipped back into shape. But for how long?

As to the hat in that link ... Heck, it's a pretty nice lookin' lid. And it's priced lower than what those Alessandrias cost years ago. How does it compare to what else is available these days?

Magus

Practically Family
MAB1,

I Fully agree :) ...most hats made these day just don't cut it. There are of course a few good brands here and there.
If you do a search on Borsolino's here you will find that folks with many years , decades, centur....umm...well...lots of experience with them tend to hold similar views regarding the production state of Borso's from the 80's forward. Now...with all that said...I am a firm believer in "If you like it and are enjoying it...buy it".
;)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
MAB1 said:
Obviously you don't know who Fellini is.

But, I appreciate the humor. I've seen the "Hebrew Hammer." Not a Fellini film. :D
Actually, I got the reference...it just got in the way of the joke. ;)

As for the Borso - I have four newer Borsalino's and two classics. I love THEM ALL! Yes, the newer are not nearly as nice as the older, but they are, compared to many, still a damn nice hat. The softness of the felt allows me to bash and wear any time at all, sit on and crush, kick down the block or any other manner of abuse and they come right back. Try that with one of those rigid lids of ANY era.

J.B.

Practically Family
MAB1 said:
...You say tomato, and I say...
AlanC said:
...salmonella.
coffeespit.gif

MAB1

Suspended
I'm resurrecting this thread to report.

I got the Borsalino Bellini, instead of the hooker, and I love it.

The hooker would have been nice in a moment of madness but... A good hat will last longer than I can these days.

53 years Young today.

It's been a wonderful day. :D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MAB1 said:
I'm resurrecting this thread to report.

I got the Borsalino Bellini, instead of the hooker, and I love it.

The hooker would have been nice in a moment of madness but... A good hat will last longer than I can these days.

53 years Young today.

It's been a wonderful day. :D

MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY! HERE"S TO 53 MORE!!!

MAB1

Suspended
First off:

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

To report on the Bellini...

It's kind of a thin stiff felt that reminds me of my 30 year old Stetson. It's thin... not cowboy thick. It's not vintage quality felt but... it feels and looks so good.

I'm sure in time the felt will soften. I've already spritz it, to take the famed Borsalino taper out. It's shaping up nicely. It's more of a C crown now. With a tighter pinch.

None the less, I'm MORE than pleased with it.

IMO, for the money... Ya can't beat it.

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=172&subcname=Borsalino

It's one of them hand crafted Eyetalian hats. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL