Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Borsalino 5.5" x 2 5/8" model: Natalsca, color: bismuto

This fantastic Borso arrived at my doorstep today. Lovely thin felt and comfy unreeded sweatband. Thanks you Aureliano for this awesome hat!

It's been posted before - Aureliano found this one in Rome. There's a discussion about both this hat and another Natalsca from Alan in the post new hats forum:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...w-Hats-Here!&p=1393624&viewfull=1#post1393624

I'm posting some pics as some of the other ones have disappeared. Excuse the poor low-light picture quality, I'll get some better shots tomorrow.

Is there a name for this kind of bound brim edge treatment?

On the top side, the brim ribbon is sewn on (in a very thin width), then folded back on itself and over the edge, then sewn on the bottom side - wider than on the top side - resulting in a stitching row that actually sews the bottom side but also acts as a decorative stitching row on the top side.

Backfolded bound brim is what I've been calling it, but is there an official name?

P1050363.jpg

P1050365.jpg

P1050357.jpg

P1050359.jpg

P1050358.jpg

P1050367.jpg

P1050370.jpg

P1050371.jpg

P1050372.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad it made it safely to your home. I moved some photos around in photobucket and see that some of my shots are missing from the thread about Alan's Natalsca and mine. I'll try to recover them ad post them anew.

mikeh

New in Town
Good find mike! Maybe well cross paths at the brass rooster as I am a regular there.

I worked on it a bit myself, but in the end couldn't resist the excuse to stop in at the Brass Rooster. John did great job smoothing out a few rough spots and shaping it up a bit. As luck would have it, I also did run into bond while I was there!

RobStC

A-List Customer
Borsalino 5.5" x 2 5/8" model: Natalsca, color: bismuto
This fantastic Borso arrived at my doorstep today. Lovely thin felt and comfy unreeded sweatband. Thanks you Aureliano for this awesome hat!
P1050357.jpg

Congrats on acquiring this one, Rabbit; it does indeed look like an awesome hat!

Ah, the one that got away..... :eusa_doh: If only I'd checked my PM's earlier that day when Ale decided to let this one go, it would certainly have been despatched Scotland-wards, to take its place at the head of my hat collection..... Oh well, the things that might have been..... :p

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!!

Rob StC

Mystic

Practically Family
Thanks for the info on the "Barlesoni" hats guys....

maybe I can win a cheap one on ebay and see one for myself and if it's a sub-standard hat......

use it for my first attempt at a Naphtha bath.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Acquired from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120857820168

Medium-to-dark grey, good contrast to my dove-grey Borsalino. Same liner and paper tag, so likely same era.

After the usual steaming to open crown and then shaping, this is the second hat in a row where I didn't like the diamond crease I'd been using. This one wanted to be more of a C or teardrop.

In any event, I like it.

Tom

dkgrborso.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Very nice catch Tom. I was watching the auction as well, didn't bid because I have a very similar one already.

I think you'll enjoy this one!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Al. I try to use the blurry effect to my advantage. ;)
A rakish look you are sporting, Randall. Very nice.

Ice! very nice! ;)
:)

I still can't see the stains you were talking about, Randall. For what it's worth, it looks superb in the photo! ;)
Well, Jeff, the more we stare, the more flaws we see. I took some 220 grit to the mothing and fixed most of that problem. The stain is only visible in daylight, up close. If I had a modicum of photographic ability, I'd show you the offending stain(s). Sadly, I stand by my technological incompetence and even celebrate it to some degree.

Thanks for the thumbs-up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL