Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Great score, Ale! Thanks for posting the close-up shot! I always take delight in your high-quality pictures.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I have recently acquired another beautiful Borsalino Allessandria .It is unreeded and on the sweatband is has

*RAPALLO* stamped in gold...... Anyone know what that stands for ???

My searching skills leave a lot to be desired....

The hat is a dark Charcoal Grey color, almost black with 1 3/4 inch black ribbon.....

The numbers on the paper tag are :

3397 9982 7 1/4

Are we still going with the thought that the year is the first two numbers, that is 1933 ??

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I don't think so... not in 1933. I hope you'll share pictures.

Alan's right about the numbers. Rapallo is located in northern Italy, famous for its harbor and Castles. Borsalino used town or location names as models in some of its hats. Allesandria, Torino, Rapallo, Como, Bellagio are some examples that come to mind.

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I don't think so... not in 1933. I hope you'll share pictures.

I read quite a few posts with different thoughts on dating but I don't think it was ever actually determined how to date a Borsalino ( speaking of the 30's, 40's, 50,s)

Yes I am way behind in my picture taking and posting....

I have to get myself in gear and do that...

I will post some of this one and the other ones I have recently acquired....

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Alan's right about the numbers. Rapallo is located in northern Italy, famous for its harbor and Castles. Borsalino used town or location names as models in some of its hats. Allesandria, Torino, Rapallo, Como, Bellagio are some examples that come to mind.

Ahhh ok, Thanks Ale, I appreciate that......

So much to learn, so little time.......:D

Here is a photo posted last month in this thread by Carouselvic showing a dated manufacturing tag from 1978.

bosotopper001.jpg

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I managed to get a couple of quick pics before the camera battery ran out.

Here is the tag and the second 3 while faded in the pic can be seen IRL... Although I don't know if these numbers mean anything at all ..

289g184.jpg

As usual the color of the felt is a bit darker IRL....

33patmd.jpg

The felt on this one feels lighter or thinner than the others I have ....

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
P1050885.jpg

A testimony to the decent felt quality - the felt is very soft and takes any crease easily.
That is one sharp-looking hat. I didn't know it came in that color -- a blue-tinged gray, like Akubra's Moonstone, right? The gray in the pic on Bencraft's site is a very light silvery gray.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
That is one sharp-looking hat. I didn't know it came in that color -- a blue-tinged gray, like Akubra's Moonstone, right? The gray in the pic on Bencraft's site is a very light silvery gray.

I got this one from Aureliano who in turn bought it from Bencraft - last year, I think. I have no reason to believe that the color is not the one currently offered on Bencraft's site. The color in my photographs is pretty close to the actual felt color, a cool lighter grey. Note, however, that it does have a very faint greenish undertone. The pic on Bencraft's site is a little too light, perhaps.
I don't own any Akubras, but from what I've seen on the FL, Moonstone appears to be a little darker than the Film's grey version.

Last edited:
This one has a tag dated 1957......

34ex7ps.jpg

fnutzp.jpg

This is not an original label. If the Borsalino name is on the side of the paper label it usually means early fifties or older. There are anomalies but those hats might have been modified along the way. I have a good idea with Echter Borsalinos because they are often date stamped.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I got this one from Aureliano who in turn bought it from Bencraft - last year, I think. I have no reason to believe that the color is not the one currently offered on Bencraft's site. The color in my photographs is pretty close to the actual felt color, a cool lighter grey. Note, however, that it does have a very faint greenish undertone. The pic on Bencraft's site is a little too light, perhaps.
I don't own any Akubras, but from what I've seen on the FL, Moonstone appears to be a little darker than the Film's grey version.

Right on all counts. Bencraft, last year. A bit of green. Website shot a bit too light. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL