Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I handled quite a few mink bodies at Gary White's shop last weekend. They're nowhere near as soft as beaver. As far as I'm concerned, mink felt is just like diamond buckles on cowboy hats - nothing but status. Based on that, I'm guessing that the Mink in the Borsalino you saw refers to the finish.

cookie said:
Yesterday I was shown a vintage Borsalino with a superb felt that was labelled "Mink" and had a XXXXX inside on the seatband not unlike the Stetson OR.

What is the felt made of ?

Pure Beaver? Please advise...

carter

I'll Lock Up
I wore this Borsalino Alessandria today. The sweatband was replaced by Jimmy Pierce. Otherwise, the hat is completely original. Joe Peters and JP said they think this hat was made in the late 1920's or early 1930's.
3484522804_4d903533f4.jpg
3483723591_12de0bf1f5.jpg

Original Sweatband
3483710639_a786371f89.jpg

Silk Liner
3483707677_70453f5df9.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
'20s-'30s? Really? What kind of serial tag is there on the body of the hat under the sweat?
The only thing affixed to the body of the hat beneath the sweat is this stamp:
3484742780_fa36882434.jpg

Here are some pictures of the sweat from both sides:
3483928691_538cab977b.jpg
3483929905_40929e65c5.jpg
3484741514_fe6313f5b4.jpg
3484740436_1e0605795d.jpg

Jimmy, Sorry, there is no original size tag.

The guys in Ft. Worth based their assessment of the age of the hat on the liner which is sewn-in silk and on the Borsalino logo which they do not believe was rendered in this fashion later than the early 30's.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I own a couple of these...but I do not agree with your experts on their dates.
The full tag on this hat reeds
31P 13391
Ghiaceio Ludoela
I do not want to roll this sweat back to photograph because of loose threads.
My black hat reads
5B8 49887
----- Ludoela

This hat has a higher crown with a narrower brim so it might be in the 30's somewhere. IMHO

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carter said:

I haven't been doing this as long as the rest of you, but have a hat that is probably from the '20s are '10s, from the 'black sheep' side of the Borsalino family that was swallowed in the '30s. The style of the liner is too similar to Carter's to ignore. As an aside, it's interesting, too, that this one has the corrogated front-piece to protect the brow of the hat.

The little tag in the last pic fell out of the sweatband when I was cleaning.

I think this hat really adds to the title of "Borsalino Brotherhood". (That was a bad pun, for those of you who also missed my 'Shadow' reference earlier today).

Scott <=== sense of humor has dried up.

LazFront.jpg

LazSide.jpg

LazLiner.jpg

LazLinerDtl.jpg

LazSize.jpg

LazSweat1.jpg

LazSweat2.jpg

LazTape.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
I am so loving this bash!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for saying that. This hat was a wreck when I received it - I spent several hours brushing, cleaning, etc., but the steaming and bash came out MUCH better than I expected. I was glowing when it was done.

Here's the 'before' shot:

cappello001.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
ScottF said:
. The style of the liner is too similar to Carter's to ignore.

Scott <=== sense of humor has dried up.

Say What?

I could definitely be wrong here, but the 'style' of the label in the liner looks very similar to Carter's. From my limited experience of studying label liners, there are trends over various periods, and these have a lot in common, graphically - I wouldn't be surprised if someone else could come up with similar liner graphics from the same period.

Also, we don't know a lot about the relationship between the two Borsalino companies, but assuming that they influenced each other (or maybe even worked together?) isn't too far-fetched. I also like the graphic of the two dogs fighting over the hat. That just couldn't be accidental, could it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore