Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Most likely silk. Has it been rolled over the brim edge to serve as the brim binding? It could be pre-war... hard to tell more from the photos. Will need a tuxedo to wear with...

Yes indeed, the "silk" has been rolled over the edge of the brim. I'll try and take better photos in the daylight. I have two tuxedos, so can't wait to be invited to the next party :)

Thanks again, alanfgag!

Steve, I haven't seen a Borsalino like it either. As Alan mentioned it looks like a formal Soft Felt. It would be interesting to see the paper label if you can some how get to it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Steve, I haven't seen a Borsalino like it either. As Alan mentioned it looks like a formal Soft Felt. It would be interesting to see the paper label if you can some how get to it.

Thanks for your input, Steve. It is indeed a very soft felt. I almost didn't buy this hat. It wasn't my size, but it fits now. I couldn't recognize the liner logo either. It just fascinated me. I looked at it several times and eventually haggled a good deal. It's been hanging on a hook for three years. It's now my most interesting hat due to its "unknowness". Don't we all love a mystery?

I'd love to see the label, too. However, I'm afraid of having to pick it out.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Yes, alanfgag. It's a fabric sown over the leather of the sweatband. A worn, silk like fabric.
There are other examples of hats with this treatment, known as "Tuxedo Hats". They normally feature a cloth sweatband. There have been a few examples on the Lounge. I own a 20s Stetson with this treatment

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
There are other examples of hats with this treatment, known as "Tuxedo Hats". They normally feature a cloth sweatband. There have been a few examples on the Lounge. I own a 20s Stetson with this treatment

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Thanks Splintercellz. Interesting information.
I wonder, where does WWII figure in all this? Borsalino couldn't have been selling to the American market during the war years. Is this a pre Parl Harbour Borsalino? Or a post WWII Borsalino?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks Splintercellz. Interesting information.
I wonder, where does WWII figure in all this? Borsalino couldn't have been selling to the American market during the war years. Is this a pre Parl Harbour Borsalino? Or a post WWII Borsalino?

If you own a Borsalino, you owe it to yourself to read this entire thread, all will be answered by the posts. In fact, any question you may ever have has been covered here on the lounge at some point. Some of the most enjoyable research you will ever do.

Thanks for your input, Steve. It is indeed a very soft felt. I almost didn't buy this hat. It wasn't my size, but it fits now. I couldn't recognize the liner logo either. It just fascinated me. I looked at it several times and eventually haggled a good deal. It's been hanging on a hook for three years. It's now my most interesting hat due to its "unknowness". Don't we all love a mystery?

I'd love to see the label, too. However, I'm afraid of having to pick it out.
Steve, The paper label should give us some idea of the time period. Is the paper label up in liner?

Why do you think it has any connection to America? I assume you found it in Denmark.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
First contribution about the satin sweatband on a Borsalino
2a98q4x.jpg

Interior of a Borsalino sold in Italy. Rizzi - Milan
2igiyhl.jpg

It is not a formal hat as you see, but a sixties or seventies very weel finished hat with a satin sweatband
This is the only example I have in my hand, or better until this morning because it is going to Ireland for the Karl head.
I have another example in pictures somewhere to show you, later
For Steve 1857 question about his Borsalino age I have no answer. To have a sight on the paper label could be a small light
Borsalino used many trademark on the linings that is really hard to speak about.
Remember that it was fashion ;)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Steve, The paper label should give us some idea of the time period. Is the paper label up in liner?

Why do you think it has any connection to America? I assume you found it in Denmark.
I must have had a brain meltdown last night, Steve. I have no idea what made me think Pearl Harbour. Weird.

I remember, the lady I bought it from said she'd bought it in Italy a few years back.

Unfortunately, the label is under the liner. I'm loath to pick it out, but it seems like it's the only way to find out more.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
2a98q4x.jpg

2igiyhl.jpg

It is not a formal hat as you see, but a sixties or seventies very weel finished hat with a satin sweatband
This is the only example I have in my hand, or better until this morning because it is going to Ireland for the Karl head.
For Steve 1857 question about his Borsalino age I have no answer. To have a sight on the paper label could be a small light
Borsalino used many trademark on the linings that is really hard to speak about.
Thanks, Daniele. Always appreciate you sharing your knowledge and insight.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
If you own a Borsalino, you owe it to yourself to read this entire thread, all will be answered by the posts. In fact, any question you may ever have has been covered here on the lounge at some point. Some of the most enjoyable research you will ever do.
Excellent advice Redfokker.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Well, I decided to unpick some of the liner. Not much to see, though. A serial number and some letters I can't make out. "Nano" perhaps.

Does the serial number reveal anything to you guys?
c63ca8ea5940be559afb007284b41904.jpg
7b3fd5d5bc0065fe7bc9a791f31f4ddc.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Well, I decided to unpick some of the liner. Not much to see, though. A serial number and some letters I can't make out. "Nano" perhaps.

Does the serial number reveal anything to you guys?
c63ca8ea5940be559afb007284b41904.jpg
7b3fd5d5bc0065fe7bc9a791f31f4ddc.jpg

It must be "Nero" - black.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
2a98q4x.jpg

2igiyhl.jpg

wonderful piece (-:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn