Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

And let's put a second one here right away. This one has been posted here before as well, when it still belonged to John (Moehawk). He generously agreed to do a trade with me and sent the borsalino and barbisio over to me. I cannot provide anything to help further the investigation of this hat because there is no other label inside it than the one already posted. The colour is probably Averla. I was curious to see if the hats for the American market had different dimensions than the ones for the European market. They don't. Bound brim with decorative stitching at 6cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Very lightweight hat which is usually called suprema quality by Borsalino (although I have suprema quality hats that are heavier). Very simple bow design, which is common for these lightweight hats. Does not look like it has been refurbished in any way, but it could have been done of course. It's a thing of beauty; superb hat.
My thanks again to Moehawk for his generosity and I even include a headshot this time (I'm happier than I look, really). Photoshop didn't help.

borsalino rogers peet_02.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_01.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_03.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_05.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_07.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_08.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_11.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_04.jpg
borsalino rogers peet_09.jpg
borsalino roger peet.JPG

KarlCrow

One Too Many
And let's put a second one here right away. This one has been posted here before as well, when it still belonged to John (Moehawk). He generously agreed to do a trade with me and sent the borsalino and barbisio over to me. I cannot provide anything to help further the investigation of this hat because there is no other label inside it than the one already posted. The colour is probably Averla. I was curious to see if the hats for the American market had different dimensions than the ones for the European market. They don't. Bound brim with decorative stitching at 6cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Very lightweight hat which is usually called suprema quality by Borsalino (although I have suprema quality hats that are heavier). Very simple bow design, which is common for these lightweight hats. Does not look like it has been refurbished in any way, but it could have been done of course. It's a thing of beauty; superb hat.
My thanks again to Moehawk for his generosity and I even include a headshot this time (I'm happier than I look, really). Photoshop didn't help.

View attachment 84440 View attachment 84441 View attachment 84442 View attachment 84443 View attachment 84444 View attachment 84445 View attachment 84446 View attachment 84447 View attachment 84448 View attachment 84449
i love that hat, my screen is showing it as more brown in the fashion shoot, and more green when on your head. I expect the brown is more correct. Very cool, either way.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Karl, thanks. The brown colour is the correct one (I calibrate the pictures with a greycard). The headshot was taken with a phone (no correction there).
well it's a cool hat even when it's the same green as my panizza (-:

i wonder if sometimes, the american shape comes with how the hats are creased, and perhaps reblocked when restored.

Last edited:
well it's a cool hat even when it's the same green as my panizza (-:

i wonder of sometimes, the american shape comes with how the hats are creased, and perhaps reblocked when restored.
It could well be, Karl. From what I see here on the lounge most American members seem to favour diamond or teardrop creases, whereas all my hats have a centre dent. Sometimes the English made hats seem to have slightly lower crowns and modern hats seem to have more taper than the older ones (which is why I like the older ones better).

moehawk

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 84440 View attachment 84441 View attachment 84442 View attachment 84443 View attachment 84444 View attachment 84445 View attachment 84446 View attachment 84447 View attachment 84448 View attachment 84449
Looks just as nice as the other! You wear it well.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Good look Steur. Pinch is just wide enough.

Can't match yesterdays posts with the great hats John sent me, but I have something nice for you I heven't posted before for today. Borsalino fedora in brown (Caffe according to the label), size 57. Raw edge brim at 6cm, crown 11cm at the pinch. This is very much like the Borsalino Film fedora I posted a little while back. Very thin and pliable felt, but not a super lightweight hat like the one I posted yesterday. Unusual is the very high ribbon (5cm) on this one, which gives it a more pre-war look. The shop it came from, Jacqueloot in Ostende, Belgium, still exists. I have had this hat for quite a while, that's why the pictures are different from the usual setting. According to the label the production year would be 1977.

borsalino caffe_4.jpg
borsalino caffe_1.jpg
borsalino caffe_2.jpg
borsalino caffe_3.jpg
borsalino caffe_9.jpg
borsalino caffe_5.jpg
borsalino caffe_6.jpg
borsalino caffe_7.jpg
borsalino caffe_8.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Can't match yesterdays posts with the great hats John sent me, but I have something nice for you I heven't posted before for today. Borsalino fedora in brown (Caffe according to the label), size 57. Raw edge brim at 6cm, crown 11cm at the pinch. This is very much like the Borsalino Film fedora I posted a little while back. Very thin and pliable felt, but not a super lightweight hat like the one I posted yesterday. Unusual is the very high ribbon (5cm) on this one, which gives it a more pre-war look. The shop it came from, Jacqueloot in Ostende, Belgium, still exists. I have had this hat for quite a while, that's why the pictures are different from the usual setting. According to the label the production year would be 1977.

View attachment 84579 View attachment 84580 View attachment 84581 View attachment 84582 View attachment 84583 View attachment 84584 View attachment 84585 View attachment 84586 View attachment 84587
very cool, love the ribbon height as it's so different, looks american then to my amateur eye (-:
well

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Second contribution for the "weird" Borsalino sweatband
2ntv59u.jpg

It is satin mounted on a flexible base
t0tj0z.jpg

Not grosgrain or other material like faux leather and so on
314wb4g.jpg

This is the exterior of the hat with a so appeal interior
I agree with the age of the Borsalino bought in Italy. Nero!
My Borsalino parabuntal has a silk/satin sweatband. This is all so interesting, and appealing!

I've read that the parabutal hats were made by Tesi for Borsalino...

i-NGXbg3F-M.jpg

i-zR7bT92-M.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I've read that the parabutal hats were made by Tesi for Borsalino...
Yes until two years ago in the modern era of Borsalino Tesi was the supplier, but now there is a special new department in Spineta Marengo, the actualy Borsalino facility, dedicated to the straw hats. Steve and me we visited the new straw department in January 2016.
I think in the old days (pre mid 80) when they were in Alessandria the straw were made directly from Borsalino.
Your parabuntal is really, really nice! Tesi made excellent straw hats and also some felts.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Yes until two years ago in the modern era of Borsalino Tesi was the supplier, but now there is a special new department in Spineta Marengo, the actualy Borsalino facility, dedicated to the straw hats. Steve and me we visited the new straw department in January 2016.
I think in the old days (pre mid 80) when they were in Alessandria the straw were made directly from Borsalino.
Your parabuntal is really, really nice! Tesi made excellent straw hats and also some felts.
Thank you for the information, Daniele. I do recall your trip with Steve. Wonderful!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Wow! I love the pics you and @alanfgag posted here. I'd love to see a detail pic of that shark's gill ribbon treatment!
I can't find any postings with this hat in it, though i thought i had some up. will post more in the appropriate thread when i am home and can look a little deeper before making a repost if it comes down to it

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It's time for another installment in this thread. I picked up a bunch of hats this week (mrs. Steur just shakes her head in dismay). This was the first one I picked up. Echter Borsalino homburg in grey (Amiata). Bound brim at 6cm and crown 11,5cm at the pinch. Late forties to mid fifties, judging by the label. In superb condition (just needed a good brushing and steaming). Brim binding is in the colour Mula, which seems to be the preferred colour for most grey homburgs by Borsalino. Sold by G. Kramer, Frankfurt am Main.

borsalino homburg amiata_02.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_01.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_03.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_05.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_04.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_06.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_07.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_08.jpg
borsalino homburg amiata_11.jpg

The second I found this week in the same bin filled with hats made me even happier than the first one (see above). Although it does have its problems (the brim binding is stained and damaged and the felt has the odd stain here and there as well) it is still a very rare and nice find. Borsalino homburg in grey, nutria felt. Size 7 tag (or 57) and "original house" on the sweatband say that this one was made for the American market. It probably never got there, maybe because of the war. My guess would be late thirties or early forties. Bound brim at 6cm and crown 10,5 cm at the pinch. Colour is Opale, which I have never seen before. It does come close to the Palladio colour of another hat I have. The felt is of very high quality. I cannot compare the nutria to other nutria qualities because I don't have any. There seems to be a certain flexible quality to the felt; it more or less springs back in shape. The liner is nice and clean and it is a superb hat. I think I will have the brim binding replaced to bring it back to glory.

borsalino homburg opale_02.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_01.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_03.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_04.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_05.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_07.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_08.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_09.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_10.jpg
borsalino homburg opale_11.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads