Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 131518 I don't believe I have posted this in the Borsalino Brotherhood before. One of my very first vintage hats was this Boralino Alessandria (Qualita' Superiore). Size: 7 1/4 with a 2" brim & 5 1/2" open crown. An interesting note under the sweatband one of the size tags has a bold 7 with the 1/4 penciled in next to it. Color is between a light gray and a natural felt, depending on light. Seems more of a natural color to me most of the time. Shades change & fade over the years I guess so don't know what color this was originally sold as. Not sure of the age, I've been told somewhere between 40's - 60's. ??? I sent this off to Art at VS a couple months back for some cleaning and it came back nearly perfect. Art called me when he first got the hat and said it was one of the finest felts he had handled in a long time. Nice compliment and I was pleased to know that because I can only judge by more modern hat felts, I'm certainly no expert. Here are photos I have taken since owning it, and AbbaDatDeHat asked if I could get a good close up of the brim edge. It is interesting to note that while the brim edge is visible on the top it is barely noticable along the bottom edges of the brim. The felt on this hat is very soft and easily shaped with no steam. But, on the negative side it needs pretty constant shaping as it is so soft and putty-like. ;)

View attachment 131508 View attachment 131509 View attachment 131510 View attachment 131511 View attachment 131512 View attachment 131513 View attachment 131514 View attachment 131515 View attachment 131516 View attachment 131517
Yes. All that constant reshaping is hard work. I would be willing to take that load for you whenever you want, WK. :)

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Tonio

A-List Customer
Two lovely hats arrived today. The first, a Borsalino collapsible top hat. The hat sits upright in the box with straps that hold it down.

001a.JPG
001b.JPG
001d.JPG
001e.JPG

Attachments

• 001c.JPG
    001c.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 97

Tonio

A-List Customer
Second, an old American market homburg sold at Young Bros "Young's Hats". This one has similar characteristics as my "George A. Place" Borsalino. Weight on this is 3.8oz. Basting stitches still attached to the ribbon. In some lighting I see hints of dark blue in the felt. Regretfully the sweatband is loosely attached. The gentleman I purchased it from peeked behind the sweatband. The handwritten tag reads "16907 / 42194 / Sanlota"

002b.JPG
002c.JPG
002e.JPG
002g.JPG
002h.JPG
002i.JPG
002j.JPG
002k.JPG

Last edited:

jhoops01

One of the Regulars
This Borsalino has started a new life outside the wall of Verona.
It was one of my favourite in black, but I realize I have too much in that color, so I let it go in a hot Italian summer to USA

24brssn.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore. Size 59 cm. that fit perfectly my 60 cm. or 7 1/2 Us head despite the tight size of Borsalino
2q99sgm.jpg

Felt is medium and very malleable, perfect proportion,in my opinion
x59snk.jpg

The proportions are: raw brim at 5 cm. crown at 10.5 cm. and ribbon is 3 cm with wind cord
2qlvd.jpg

The lining is glues, so a modern Borsalino made during the nineties, sold in Paris
2cbxjk.jpg

I was asked by "mysterious voices" this summer and I sold a small part of my collection also in my size.
Who knows what will happen when I open the wardrobes again. Now it's not time, but in a couple of weeks it will be:rolleyes:
That beautiful hat has arrived in Florida! Hopefully, when I return from South Korea, it will be cool enough to wear there. Who am I kidding, it's almost never cool enough to wear felt where I live. Thanks again to Daniele!

Second, an old American market homburg sold at Young Bros "Young's Hats". This one has similar characteristics as my "George A. Place" Borsalino. Weight on this is 3.8oz. Basting stitches still attached to the ribbon. In some lighting I see hints of dark blue in the felt. Regretfully the sweatband is loosely attached. The gentleman I purchased it from peeked behind the sweatband. The handwritten tag reads "16907 / 42194 / Sanlota"

View attachment 131570 View attachment 131571 View attachment 131572 View attachment 131573 View attachment 131574 View attachment 131575 View attachment 131576 View attachment 131577
Super! Does the paper label have the cells?

Sealed the deal on this antique Borsalino hat block. Acquired through an antiques dealer in Alessandria. It was said to have been brought home by a factory worker back in the day.

View attachment 131311

Also waiting on an early American market homburg.

View attachment 131318

More photos when they arrive!
Great finds as usual, Tonio. Congrats! I would love to see the hat that came from that block though.

View attachment 131518 I don't believe I have posted this in the Borsalino Brotherhood before. One of my very first vintage hats was this Boralino Alessandria (Qualita' Superiore). Size: 7 1/4 with a 2" brim & 5 1/2" open crown. An interesting note under the sweatband one of the size tags has a bold 7 with the 1/4 penciled in next to it. Color is between a light gray and a natural felt, depending on light. Seems more of a natural color to me most of the time. Shades change & fade over the years I guess so don't know what color this was originally sold as. Not sure of the age, I've been told somewhere between 40's - 60's. ??? I sent this off to Art at VS a couple months back for some cleaning and it came back nearly perfect. Art called me when he first got the hat and said it was one of the finest felts he had handled in a long time. Nice compliment and I was pleased to know that because I can only judge by more modern hat felts, I'm certainly no expert. Here are photos I have taken since owning it, and AbbaDatDeHat asked if I could get a good close up of the brim edge. It is interesting to note that while the brim edge is visible on the top it is barely noticable along the bottom edges of the brim. The felt on this hat is very soft and easily shaped with no steam. But, on the negative side it needs pretty constant shaping as it is so soft and putty-like. ;)

View attachment 131508 View attachment 131509 View attachment 131510 View attachment 131511 View attachment 131512 View attachment 131513 View attachment 131514 View attachment 131515 View attachment 131516 View attachment 131517
Outstanding WK! A Gorascu model in Palladio colour with a "feltrato" edge as the Italians called it. It doesn't get any better than this, I think.

Two lovely hats arrived today. The first, a Borsalino collapsible top hat. The hat sits upright in the box with straps that hold it down.

View attachment 131565 View attachment 131566 View attachment 131568 View attachment 131569

View attachment 131570 View attachment 131571 View attachment 131572 View attachment 131573 View attachment 131574 View attachment 131575 View attachment 131576 View attachment 131577
Superb, Tonio. Rare finds in any condition, but in this shape close to incredible!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jonesy86. I have a lot of modern day Borsalino hats and for the most part very happy with them. The Como is a nice dress hat made from hare felt. Attractive crown to Brim proportions and made to the standards of high end mass production hats of the 21st century. You want, a European style blue hat? Well there it is. Now custom hats are another animal, no pun intended, and you should have one of those too! Can never go wrong with a custom beaver. The vintage Borsalino hats that were produced in the early to mid 20th century during the heyday of hat fashion are in a league of there own: felt, finish, and craftsmanship. You should also own some of those as well. Just my $.02 enjoy the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still hunting for a vintage 7 1/2 Borsalino.
[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For all fans of the "Antica Casa di Alessandria" a little mystery to investigate
34q9s80.jpg

The hat comes from the legacy of a very keen gentleman with Borsalino
24ax6cg.jpg

He had bought some beautiful hats and, fortunately, they were of my size, so I could choose those of my liking.
qn4col.jpg

This hat, you see from the press on the sweatband, comes from the Borsalino stores in Milan, even if there are no obvious indications it is a Borsalino. The lining does not help, reporting only the word "Superiore" without the original trade mark and the paper label has been torn
og9pc4.jpg

Felt is average and reminds me of consistency and color other hats, absolutely not made by Borsalino
demqt5.jpg

The proportions of the hat are as follows: raw brim at 7 cm. crown at 11 cm. and ribbon at 3.5 cm.
33f48qc.jpg

The hat is new, never worn or so it looks and has an excellent finish and wearability
2d2eo7c.jpg

Here it is to be a Borsalino mosaic card to complete the mistery

For all fans of the "Antica Casa di Alessandria" a little mystery to investigate
34q9s80.jpg

The hat comes from the legacy of a very keen gentleman with Borsalino
24ax6cg.jpg

He had bought some beautiful hats and, fortunately, they were of my size, so I could choose those of my liking.
qn4col.jpg

This hat, you see from the press on the sweatband, comes from the Borsalino stores in Milan, even if there are no obvious indications it is a Borsalino. The lining does not help, reporting only the word "Superiore" without the original trade mark and the paper label has been torn
og9pc4.jpg

Felt is average and reminds me of consistency and color other hats, absolutely not made by Borsalino
demqt5.jpg

The proportions of the hat are as follows: raw brim at 7 cm. crown at 11 cm. and ribbon at 3.5 cm.
33f48qc.jpg

The hat is new, never worn or so it looks and has an excellent finish and wearability
2d2eo7c.jpg

Here it is to be a Borsalino mosaic card to complete the mistery
Daniele, Definitely a mystery. I can't place it with any company. What do you think the dating is?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, Definitely a mystery. I can't place it with any company. What do you think the dating is?
Steve does not seem particularly old to me. Let's say he has accomplished, more or less, forty years. It can be a hat made in the phase of the disposal of the property by the Borsalino family. It can also be one of the many Borsalino under another name, with Stefan we have now cataloged many in this category. In any case, the hat looks like a "disguised" Borsalino. When you will be in Italy you can judge it

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Steve does not seem particularly old to me. Let's say he has accomplished, more or less, forty years. It can be a hat made in the phase of the disposal of the property by the Borsalino family. It can also be one of the many Borsalino under another name, with Stefan we have now cataloged many in this category. In any case, the hat looks like a "disguised" Borsalino. When you will be in Italy you can judge it
Daniele, can it possibly have a Vanzina connection? The purple part of the hat liner reminds me of something from Vanzina.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, can it possibly have a Vanzina connection? The purple part of the hat liner reminds me of something from Vanzina.
May be, but the Vanzina are more "sophisticated" than this. This is more simple and the use of the tag glued on the sweatband it is not a Borsalino sign.
It is avery nice hat and with a interesting felt, but a mistery as many in the Borsalino production.

This is an Alessandria I found on eBay a few weeks ago. Needed cleaning and the liner is pretty faded but otherwise in great condition. Color is Avorio or ivory which looks more like natural to me. The felt on this one is a bit heavier and firmer than I usually expect from a Borsalino.
Richard I like very much the "Avorio" color not so easy to find here in Italy.
A very nice Borsalino

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
May be, but the Vanzina are more "sophisticated" than this. This is more simple and the use of the tag glued on the sweatband it is not a Borsalino sign.
It is avery nice hat and with a interesting felt, but a mistery as many in the Borsalino production.

Richard I like very much the "Avorio" color not so easy to find here in Italy.
A very nice Borsalino
The hat is indeed a mismatch of Borsalino connections, but then again not in some terms of quality. If it was sold in the shop, then it is a part of the Borsalino family, even if it is an illegitimate part of it.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff