Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
May be, but the Vanzina are more "sophisticated" than this. This is more simple and the use of the tag glued on the sweatband it is not a Borsalino sign.
It is avery nice hat and with a interesting felt, but a mistery as many in the Borsalino production.

Richard I like very much the "Avorio" color not so easy to find here in Italy.
A very nice Borsalino
Thank you Daniele, I like it a lot also. I've been neglecting the Italian hats lately I need to focus more on them.

Steve does not seem particularly old to me. Let's say he has accomplished, more or less, forty years. It can be a hat made in the phase of the disposal of the property by the Borsalino family. It can also be one of the many Borsalino under another name, with Stefan we have now cataloged many in this category. In any case, the hat looks like a "disguised" Borsalino. When you will be in Italy you can judge it
Daniele, Yes I will have to see it in person.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Another summer purchase. The homburg is part of a bunch of pretty badly worn Borsalino.
It was a gamble and this is the only one in my size, the others are narrower or smaller and are in the skillful hands of Fleur hatter of Penumbra hats in Netherlands.
2zghi6g.jpg

Lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore. Size is 6, so a 59 in EU or a 7 3/8 in US
aylmp3.jpg

Color is "Palladio" cinta (ribbon) Nero "Gulaela" Felt is soft and very malleable with a contrasting ribbon
1gifd.jpg

It seems new except it was the food for the moths, above all on the under side brim
w7csol.jpg

Fleur did a magnificient work on the little holes and nibbles made by moths
20rvlag.jpg

Outside the moths are more gentle
6ohcer.jpg

This "Lobbia" Borsalino or homburg or Diplomatique is the type with "wide" brim
2n0msg3.jpg

The proportions are: brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 4 cm. and the crown is 11 cm.
More to come in the next days

Another summer purchase. The homburg is part of a bunch of pretty badly worn Borsalino.
It was a gamble and this is the only one in my size, the others are narrower or smaller and are in the skillful hands of Fleur hatter of Penumbra hats in Netherlands.
2zghi6g.jpg

Lobbia Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore. Size is 6, so a 59 in EU or a 7 3/8 in US
aylmp3.jpg

Color is "Palladio" cinta (ribbon) Nero "Gulaela" Felt is soft and very malleable with a contrasting ribbon
1gifd.jpg

It seems new except it was the food for the moths, above all on the under side brim
w7csol.jpg

Fleur did a magnificient work on the little holes and nibbles made by moths
20rvlag.jpg

Outside the moths are more gentle
6ohcer.jpg

This "Lobbia" Borsalino or homburg or Diplomatique is the type with "wide" brim
2n0msg3.jpg

The proportions are: brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 4 cm. and the crown is 11 cm.
More to come in the next days
Gorgeous, Daniele. Palladio is a great colour. I have one in the same colour scheme, but not the same model or quality designation.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A perfect member of the Borsalino patrol bought in Milan
The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a third is a beautiful "Mirtillo"
f3dp9e.jpg

Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 French measurements, so a 60 in EU and a 7 1/2 in US
302lw5v.jpg

Very thin and malleable felt, in a medium brown color. NO paper label on this one.
5ckh8z.jpg

The changhes in color are due to different days in which the pictures are shooted. It change very often
347h0mc.jpg

Proportions are: raw brim at 5.5 cm. ribbon is 5 cm. and the crown 11 cm. with matching ribbon
dfukc0.jpg

It is a very malleable hats, thin a light, with an "old" shape, very interesting for the first autumn
3348akw.jpg

It came new from the historica factory of Borsalino in Alessandria

Last edited:

RJR

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a third in a beautiful "Mirtillo"
f3dp9e.jpg

Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 French measurements, so a 60 in EU and a 7 17" in US
302lw5v.jpg

Very thin and malleable felt, in a medium brown color. NO paper label on this one.
5ckh8z.jpg

The changhes in color sre due to different days in which the pictures are shooted. It change very often
347h0mc.jpg

Proportions are: raw brim at 5.5 cm. ribbon is 5 cm. and the crown 11 cm. with matching ribbon
dfukc0.jpg

It is a very malleable hats, thin a light, with an "old" shape, very interesting for the first autumn
3348akw.jpg

Nice.

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a third in a beautiful "Mirtillo"
f3dp9e.jpg

Qualità Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 French measurements, so a 60 in EU and a 7 17" in US
302lw5v.jpg

5ckh8z.jpg

The changhes in color sre due to different days in which the pictures are shooted. It change very often
347h0mc.jpg

dfukc0.jpg

3348akw.jpg

Like I said in the other thread too: this is a very beautiful hat. The model makes it look like it's older than it actually is. Great find.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
f3dp9e.jpg

302lw5v.jpg

5ckh8z.jpg

347h0mc.jpg

dfukc0.jpg

3348akw.jpg

Beautiful :)

f3dp9e.jpg

302lw5v.jpg

5ckh8z.jpg

347h0mc.jpg

dfukc0.jpg

3348akw.jpg

Daniele, It's a timeless beauty!

f3dp9e.jpg

302lw5v.jpg

5ckh8z.jpg

347h0mc.jpg

dfukc0.jpg

3348akw.jpg

Very nice Daniele. That liner looks sweet.

jhoops01

One of the Regulars
f3dp9e.jpg

302lw5v.jpg

5ckh8z.jpg

347h0mc.jpg

dfukc0.jpg

3348akw.jpg

That's a beauty, Daniele!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Like I said in the other thread too: this is a very beautiful hat. The model makes it look like it's older than it actually is. Great find.

Beautiful :)

Daniele, It's a timeless beauty!

Very nice Daniele. That liner looks sweet.

That's a beauty, Daniele!
Thanks you all for the kind words and likes.
We have to say thank to Borsalino hatters for this beauty and others on some heads ;)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The third and final member of the Borsalino patrol bought in Milan
xatd3l.jpg

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a the Borsalino "Brown" showed in last days"
91dz6v.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore size 6 French measurements, so a 59 in EU and a 7 3/8 in US
np4748.jpg

Very thick and sturdy felt, "Mirtillo" color. It is the youngest of the trio and the modern label show less then the oldest
femcyp.jpg

Since I have not the reference of modern Borsalino modern colors, my guess it is "Mirtillo"
2eyudg2.jpg

Proportions are: trimmed brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 3.5 cm. and the crown 12.5 cm. with matching ribbon and wind cord
zmjofo.jpg

It is a very firm hats with imponent proportions. Very elegant
24nobqd.jpg

It came new from the new Spinetta Marengo factory near Alessandria and was sold in Germany

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
xatd3l.jpg

The other component are the "Borsalino Mysterious" and a the Borsalino "Brown" showed in last days"
91dz6v.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore size 6 French measurements, so a 59 in EU and a 7 3/8 in US
np4748.jpg

Very thick and sturdy felt, "Mirtillo" color. It is the youngest of the trio and the modern label show less then the oldest
femcyp.jpg

Since I have not the reference of modern Borsalino modern colors, my guess it is "Mirtillo"
2eyudg2.jpg

Proportions are: trimmed brim at 6 cm. ribbon is 3.5 cm. and the crown 12.5 cm. with matching ribbon and wind cord
zmjofo.jpg

24nobqd.jpg

It came new from the new Spinetta Marengo factory near Alessandria and was sold in Germany
Beautiful! And with a 6 cm brim!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

xatd3l.jpg

91dz6v.jpg

np4748.jpg

femcyp.jpg

2eyudg2.jpg

zmjofo.jpg

24nobqd.jpg

Such a nice Borsalino Daniele. Mirtillo has to be my favorite color they made. Nice details on this one, Ferrari hat!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Saturday afternoon with sun, heavy rain and fast clouds in the sky and I have time to put the hands with ease and time in the boxes of the stored hats, so I have the opportunity to put on a table the restored hats of the last five years.
Often on FL we discuss hats to be renewed, to be converted or repaired or, again, to be done ex novo. Today I want you to participate in a phase in the assessment of hats that is, personal opinion, fundamental.
2ii8x2s.jpg

27yd3lk.jpg

The photographs refer to a batch of Borsalino bought blindly. You will see below the status of the hats and the questions that every collector faces a similar problem
2njxduh.jpg

24llb9k.jpg

hx2q05.jpg

When I opened the box where they were crammed in a bad way, as always, I have the main question: if it was worth putting my hands in the hats to be restore or throw them in the dustbin or put them in a box with an anti-moth and wait times, or evaluate case by case for a possible renewal-restoration
3090y21.jpg

281swva.jpg

The questions are many: Is it worth it? How will the hat be finished? How many are of my size? Will I return, at least partially, to the total investment (purchase and restoration)?
28uh9ib.jpg

2hzpljo.jpg

35bs8b7.jpg

The first time I asked myself these questions was for a bunch of old and-new Borsalino, a few years ago, in conditions to ask for mercy. I talked to European and American hatters and then I made the decision to restore some of them and when I had the hats in the hands I put aside what I learned.......

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
First: we often underestimate the life that is present in our beloved hats, even if they are on avenue sunset. Second: what can be done to make them return wearable. Third: decide, according to casuistry, for a philological restoration or for a partial or total renewal.
2uoifrq.jpg

2rdxflz.jpg

qyv1v4.jpg

Here, you have on the desk the doubts and the vicissitudes of treating used or partially new and badly preserved hats like those you see in the photos. I ask you the considerations, the questions and what you think about it
2ugdroy.jpg

rba5c6.jpg

Then there are the hats that do not interest you, the ones you already have in other copies and the ones that you wonder why they ended up in that pile
1269w2f.jpg

2zexba8.jpg

Yet along these roads you learn many things.
All Borsalino hats are currently being restored.
A few days ago you saw the finished Lobbia, the one eaten by the moths.
The yellow light you see in the photos is that of an autumn afternoon :)
29pth1d.jpg

t8818p.jpg

Let me know what do you think. Thanks

Saturday afternoon with sun, heavy rain and fast clouds in the sky and I have time to put the hands with ease and time in the boxes of the stored hats, so I have the opportunity to put on a table the restored hats of the last five years.
Often on FL we discuss hats to be renewed, to be converted or repaired or, again, to be done ex novo. Today I want you to participate in a phase in the assessment of hats that is, personal opinion, fundamental.
2ii8x2s.jpg

27yd3lk.jpg

The photographs refer to a batch of Borsalino bought blindly. You will see below the status of the hats and the questions that every collector faces a similar problem
2njxduh.jpg

24llb9k.jpg

hx2q05.jpg

When I opened the box where they were crammed in a bad way, as always, I have the main question: if it was worth putting my hands in the hats to be restore or throw them in the dustbin or put them in a box with an anti-moth and wait times, or evaluate case by case for a possible renewal-restoration
3090y21.jpg

281swva.jpg

The questions are many: Is it worth it? How will the hat be finished? How many are of my size? Will I return, at least partially, to the total investment (purchase and restoration)?
28uh9ib.jpg

2hzpljo.jpg

35bs8b7.jpg

The first time I asked myself these questions was for a bunch of old and-new Borsalino, a few years ago, in conditions to ask for mercy. I talked to European and American hatters and then I made the decision to restore some of them and when I had the hats in the hands I put aside what I learned.......
This is a recognizable situation for most of us who find their hats in thrift stores, garage sales, fleamarkets or vintage clothing stores. In my experience though a quality hat, and Borsalino is certainly that, is very very resilient and, if the felt is in decent condition, can usually be saved.
Sweatbands, liners and ribbons can be replaced and even staining on the felt can quite often be cleaned one way or another. This is part of the joy, at least for me, of collecting vintage hats; to see a hat, that many other would throw in the dustbin, can be brought back to glory with, in most cases, just a good brushing and steaming. Never ceases to amaze me.
There's another reason not to give up easily and that is of course that these will not be made anymore.
So would we want a box crammed full of vintage Borsalinos; is that a trick question?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is a recognizable situation for most of us who find their hats in thrift stores, garage sales, fleamarkets or vintage clothing stores. In my experience though a quality hat, and Borsalino is certainly that, is very very resilient and, if the felt is in decent condition, can usually be saved.
Sweatbands, liners and ribbons can be replaced and even staining on the felt can quite often be cleaned one way or another. This is part of the joy, at least for me, of collecting vintage hats; to see a hat, that many other would throw in the dustbin, can be brought back to glory with, in most cases, just a good brushing and steaming. Never ceases to amaze me.
There's another reason not to give up easily and that is of course that these will not be made anymore.
So would we want a box crammed full of vintage Borsalinos; is that a trick question?
Stefan my manual hatter skills have increased in recent years, but for hard cases like those presented, you need the hands of a real hatter.
I too am convinced that some hats must be saved otherwise we will never see them again. I posed the question because too often we do not consider the possibility of resurrecting a hat with results and prices far from the current standards to have a new one. Then I like to see objects take shape and return to their primary function. I have photographed for work many restorations of paintings, frescoes, wood and stones, and perhaps I have learned and appreciated the art of bringing back to life pieces of the world. For a box full of vintage Borsalino I often try and when there are opportunities never back. It would be necessary to found a consortium for the preservation of ancient hats, perhaps having heads of different sizes could be amortized costs and draw benefits :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner