Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Thanks for the good information and reference material; very much appreciated.
That's a beautiful Borsalino Bowler.
I am currently bidding on a similar Borso-Bowler on eBay, but it is definately newer (maybe 70s - 90s) and is marked as "Qualita Speciale". How much would such a Bowler be worth? I don't intend to bid more than 50% of that estimate ... cause I'm the Bargain-Hunter :)
Do you have a link? I can't remember when Borsalino stopped making Stiff Felts (would have to check) but I didn't think it was that late.

Here's a hat I haven't posted since the great Photobucket purge.

I'm not sure of the date on this one? Onionskin liner that has a bit of damage and there's one small stain on the brim, but otherwise good condition for a decently vintage Borso. The basting stitches are still present. Color is "opale," which I'm going to go out on a limb and say is Opal. A very nice light grey. Qualita Extra Extra Superiore, Italian market.
Outdoors:

Indoors:

Bow, ribbon,basting stitches:

Liner, label, imprints:

Jared, Fantastic! Thanks for posting it Again.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Nutria. I am reallllly liking narrow-brimmed hats!
They are less expensive, high quality, and look good on me, too.
Viva Italia.
658b8d0c179bad8c0831b526c39515f5.jpg
be6a53c21db117b85a61e026bb517361.jpg
782accde32b8f30216d74fb75c6d3472.jpg
4d227ad466ca380e46ef6cde76359f37.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
Forgot to post pics of the sweat.
5a8b2265af7ef96273c8fa35fb986cf8.jpg
4f7fe3a5ef30eb37e7f02f44d6669fe3.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
What about Borsalino's own quality classifications; they don't have that many to my knowledge.
I have some vintage Borsalinos, some marked "Qualita Superiore" and others "Qualita Extra Superiore".
Is my assuption that "Extra Superiore" is usually 100% or atleast mainly beaver fur felt correct?
The classifications of quality of the Borsalino do not indicate absolutely there is of the beaver inside the felt. Like all European hats and felts producers, the beaver has always been an "exotic animal" because it was and is an animal that does live in Europe, therefore in the tradition of the production of felt it is not used.
Blends of various fur coats have been used and used until now for the production of felt. When Borsalino uses "special" furs, this is clearly indicated in the hat. Today there are these special mixtures: "Beaver", "Guanaco", "Vicuna" and some special edition with silk inside the felt. Keep in mind that the main felt in Europe was made of basic wool and some addition of fur for top-class hats, then the rabbit and other fur animals formed the backbone of the production with, in some cases, at least here in Italy, a wool base. The felt is defined as "Misto". Probably some very expensive antique Borsalino hats used some part of beaver. Recognized, however, that Borsalino, Barbisio, Panizza, the hat-makers from Monza have prided themselves on having used various mixtures for their felt, as well as those operating in Germany and central Europe.
The hat you want to buy is not a bowler, personal opinion, but a "Lobbia"
If you need more, let me know

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Borsalino has started a new life outside the wall of Verona.
It was one of my favourite in black, but I realize I have too much in that color, so I let it go in a hot Italian summer to USA

24brssn.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Superiore. Size 59 cm. that fit perfectly my 60 cm. or 7 1/2 Us head despite the tight size of Borsalino
2q99sgm.jpg

Felt is medium and very malleable, perfect proportion,in my opinion
x59snk.jpg

The proportions are: raw brim at 5 cm. crown at 10.5 cm. and ribbon is 3 cm with wind cord
2qlvd.jpg

The lining is glues, so a modern Borsalino made during the nineties, sold in Paris
2cbxjk.jpg

I was asked by "mysterious voices" this summer and I sold a small part of my collection also in my size.
Who knows what will happen when I open the wardrobes again. Now it's not time, but in a couple of weeks it will be:rolleyes:

What about Borsalino's own quality classifications; they don't have that many to my knowledge.
I have some vintage Borsalinos, some marked "Qualita Superiore" and others "Qualita Extra Superiore".
Is my assuption that "Extra Superiore" is usually 100% or atleast mainly beaver fur felt correct?

I will start posting detailed photos of my Borsalino collection soon.
There is no connection that I'm aware of that links the Borsalino "Qualitá" classifications to the content of the fur. They don't have that many as you rightly noted.
They have:
Qualitá Superiore
Qualitá Extra Superiore
Qualitá Extra Extra Superiore
Qualitá Speciale
Qualitá Suprema
Qualitá Extra Finissima (I suppose there should a Qualitá Finissima too, but I've never seen it). Advertising of beaver fur content in hats is not that widespread in European hats as it is in American hats. Borsalino did use the occasional "Castoro" moniker for that, but it's not all that common. Interesting question though and it does make one wonder what the different qualities did stand for.

I am not aware of a fur content listing for "Qualita Superiore" and "Qualita Extra Superiore". Daniele or someone else might have some information. Here is an pre WWII "Qualita Extra-Extra Superiore" ( not sure of fur content but could have beaver fur) Stiff Felt of mine. You see Beaver fur used more often in Pre WWII European Stiff Felt hats and rarely in Soft Felts.

8367413953_55dc5ebe18_b.jpg

8367417311_3f8ebbe4c7_b.jpg

8367432717_b8a0556edd_b.jpg

8368495166_a7917b7044_b.jpg

In the following Qualita Extra Superiore are listed as having Rabbit fur content but this is not a Borsalino publication. Velour is the highest price point.

Giusepe Gallieni Rome sponsored Map/ad (probably 1950s)

SCAN0371.JPG
SCAN0372.JPG

SCAN0374.JPG
SCAN0373.JPG
One of each would be nice!

Here's a hat I haven't posted since the great Photobucket purge.

I'm not sure of the date on this one? Onionskin liner that has a bit of damage and there's one small stain on the brim, but otherwise good condition for a decently vintage Borso. The basting stitches are still present. Color is "opale," which I'm going to go out on a limb and say is Opal. A very nice light grey. Qualita Extra Extra Superiore, Italian market.
Outdoors:

Indoors:

Bow, ribbon,basting stitches:

Liner, label, imprints:

Opale is a great colour. Gorgeous hat, Jared. Probably mid to late fifties.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Great colour and nice find, Max. These nutria felt Borsalinos are not all that common.
I am starting to look at short-brimmed hats now. After I got the ones from Daniele, I realized I like them. They give me a city look, says Ana.
She loved the hats Daniele sent me. Finds them very elegant and stylish. Her paternal grandfather was Italian (Repetto), so it's probably a chromosomic predilection.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
There is no connection that I'm aware of that links the Borsalino "Qualitá" classifications to the content of the fur. They don't have that many as you rightly noted.
They have:
Qualitá Superiore
Qualitá Extra Superiore
Qualitá Speciale
Qualitá Suprema
Qualitá Extra Finissima (I suppose there should a Qualitá Finissima too, but I've never seen it). Advertising of beaver fur content in hats is not that widespread in European hats as it is in American hats. Borsalino did use the occasional "Castoro" moniker for that, but it's not all that common. Interesting question though and it does make one wonder what the different qualities did stand for.

Thanks for expertise insight.

As mentioned this is a Curled Brim Soft Felt Hat. It's shown Open Crown but it's not a Stiff Felt. Borsalino stopped their Stiff Felt production at some point because the overall market dropped way down after WWII.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
They have:
Qualitá Superiore
Qualitá Extra Superiore
Qualitá Speciale
Qualitá Suprema
Thank you, Stefan. I should have asked you this before. I have been wondering for a while.
I copied it and put it in my memos. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tonio

A-List Customer
Sealed the deal on this antique Borsalino hat block. Acquired through an antiques dealer in Alessandria. It was said to have been brought home by a factory worker back in the day.

image.jpeg

Also waiting on an early American market homburg.

image.jpeg

More photos when they arrive!

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
20180817_175632 (2).jpg
I don't believe I have posted this in the Borsalino Brotherhood before. One of my very first vintage hats was this Boralino Alessandria (Qualita' Superiore). Size: 7 1/4 with a 2" brim & 5 1/2" open crown. An interesting note under the sweatband one of the size tags has a bold 7 with the 1/4 penciled in next to it. Color is between a light gray and a natural felt, depending on light. Seems more of a natural color to me most of the time. Shades change & fade over the years I guess so don't know what color this was originally sold as. Not sure of the age, I've been told somewhere between 40's - 60's. ??? I sent this off to Art at VS a couple months back for some cleaning and it came back nearly perfect. Art called me when he first got the hat and said it was one of the finest felts he had handled in a long time. Nice compliment and I was pleased to know that because I can only judge by more modern hat felts, I'm certainly no expert. Here are photos I have taken since owning it, and AbbaDatDeHat asked if I could get a good close up of the brim edge. It is interesting to note that while the brim edge is visible on the top it is barely noticable along the bottom edges of the brim. The felt on this hat is very soft and easily shaped with no steam. But, on the negative side it needs pretty constant shaping as it is so soft and putty-like. ;)

20180801_154612.jpg
20180801_155019.jpg
20180801_155026.jpg
batch_20180817_153821.jpg
batch_20180817_173228.jpg
View attachment 131513
batch_20180817_173320.jpg
batch_20180817_173422.jpg
batch_20180817_173528.jpg
batch_20180817_173604.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online