Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, it wasn't cheap shipping it over, but I have to admit that it was fairly fast and there was no additional cost for import taxes. So all in all a bit of a mixed bag with Ebay's global shipping. Finally added a Borsalino Gorasgu to the collection. Have handled a couple of these before but so far one that fitted me eluded me.
Borsalino Gorasgu misto maroso in a size 7. Overwelt (with blind stitching) brim at 7cm and crown 10,5cm at the center dent, unreeded sweatband. The felt goes anywhere you want it to. As with most misto felts there's likely some wool content there, but from the hand it has you wouldn't know it. For now it has the usual center dent and side pinches, but I might go for a diamond in this one. Does need a bit of steam here and there and the pinches are a bit uneven, but I couldn't wait. Chuffed!

borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_01-jpg.191694
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_02-jpg.191695
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_03-jpg.191696
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_04-jpg.191697
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_06-jpg.191698
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_07-jpg.191699
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_08-jpg.191700
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_09-jpg.191701
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_10-jpg.191702
borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_12-jpg.191703
A museum piece.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Well, it wasn't cheap shipping it over, but I have to admit that it was fairly fast and there was no additional cost for import taxes. So all in all a bit of a mixed bag with Ebay's global shipping. Finally added a Borsalino Gorasgu to the collection. Have handled a couple of these before but so far one that fitted me eluded me.
Borsalino Gorasgu misto maroso in a size 7. Overwelt (with blind stitching) brim at 7cm and crown 10,5cm at the center dent, unreeded sweatband. The felt goes anywhere you want it to. As with most misto felts there's likely some wool content there, but from the hand it has you wouldn't know it. For now it has the usual center dent and side pinches, but I might go for a diamond in this one. Does need a bit of steam here and there and the pinches are a bit uneven, but I couldn't wait. Chuffed!

borsalino-gorasgu-maroso_01-jpg.191694
Un bellissimo cappello!

Good Morning Gents, can anyone offer advice on this Borsalino I'm looking at ? I haven't done as much research on them yet to determine age, etc, but this one caught my eye and I can get it cheap.

The pictures are pretty crappy.....

View attachment 192460

View attachment 192461

View attachment 192462

Thanks !
There's not much to go on, but when I see liner like that and the price is good I go for it at once. Those cellophane coverings of the liner (the yellow part) were used in the fifties and very early sixties by Borsalino (and other brands). So most likely a fifties Borsalino hat with the high quality that goes along with that.

Another recent find.
Borsalino Export Qualität in the colour Ontano. Size 58 (but runs small as they usually do) with the bound brim at 5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Qualitá Speciale with a really nice hand and quite lightweight at 96 grams. Ribbon colour is "stura" (connects with me somehow:)). Early to mid-sixties.

borsalino ontano58_01.jpg
borsalino ontano58_02.jpg
borsalino ontano58_03.jpg
borsalino ontano58_04.jpg
borsalino ontano58_06.jpg
borsalino ontano58_07.jpg
borsalino ontano58_08.jpg
borsalino ontano58_09.jpg
borsalino ontano58_10.jpg
borsalino ontano58_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Another recent find.
Borsalino Export Qualität in the colour Ontano. Size 58 (but runs small as they usually do) with the bound brim at 5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Qualitá Speciale with a really nice hand and quite lightweight at 96 grams. Ribbon colour is "stura" (connects with me somehow:)). Early to mid-sixties.

View attachment 193237 View attachment 193238 View attachment 193239 View attachment 193240 View attachment 193241 View attachment 193242 View attachment 193243 View attachment 193244 View attachment 193245 View attachment 193246
Two nice looking Borsalinos, Stefan.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Recent find.
Borsalino in the colour Bario. Size 56 with the bound brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 9,5cm at the center dent. Unlined. Jan Worm of Gorinchem lasted from 1903 until 1974.

borsalino-bario-worm_01-jpg.193227

nother recent find.

borsalino-ontano58_01-jpg.193237
Two lovely Borsalino with colors dedicated to autumn. Complimenti!
"stura" is a bunch of Piemonte rivers, but also an italian verb "uncork"

Last edited:

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
There's not much to go on, but when I see liner like that and the price is good I go for it at once. Those cellophane coverings of the liner (the yellow part) were used in the fifties and very early sixties by Borsalino (and other brands). So most likely a fifties Borsalino hat with the high quality that goes along with that.

Great, thanks for the input. It’s shipping from France, so the shipping may be the killer, bit I’ll see what deal I can get.

First of several new hats with many thanks to enabler supremo Brent.
Borsalino Marque Grand Luxe in Amiata colour. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and crown 10,5cm at the center dent. These Marque Grand Luxe are what it says on the tin: very luxurious. It's a chamois finish, the hand of the felt is fabulous and it shapes with no effort at all. Early to mid-sixties.

borsalino mgl amiata_01.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_02.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_03.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_04.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_06.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_07.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_08.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_10.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_11.jpg
borsalino mgl amiata_12.jpg

Went through collecting hats quite some before I could add a Borsalino Gorasgu to the fold and wouldn't you know it? Here's a second one, thanks to the generosity of Jonathan (@TheOldFashioned). Bit of a mystery game this one, because of the damage to the label. But it's almost certainly a Gorasgu model due to its proportions.
Borsalino Gorasgu in brownin a size 56. Felted edge brim at 7,3cm and the crown 11cm at the center dent. The first three letters of the colour on the label seem very clear: "Vis..." and after that, who knows? There are five colours in the Borsalino line-up staring with a V: two greys vischio and viscarda, two browns: vinato and volterra and a green: verde. Could be an new and so far unseen colour (I'm thinking visone -mink -, which would fit). Anyone care to hazard a guess?
Anyway: a fabulous hat.

borsalino gorasvis_01.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_02.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_03.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_04.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_05.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_06.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_07.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_08.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_09.jpg
borsalino gorasvis_10.jpg

Forum statistics