Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Jack Savage

New in Town
I think with Bencraft it's best to go in to the store. I realize not everyone can do this. Thankfully, I live close enough that I can and have had a good experience everytime. I think 90% or more of their business is the local Jewish community and keeps them pretty busy.

Now I understand, they just didn't seem to care.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Jack, Trust me , we do care a lot about our customers. We have been in business for over 65 years. In the past month , we have received a huge amount of orders for Borsalino hats and its caught us off guard . we are trying to fill all of the orders as best as we can. You can always PM me or email us at besdor@mindspring.com and we will try to help you out. Of course , if you are in NY please come by our store and see for yourself the selection . What we show on our website is only a fraction of what we carry. The main part of our business is the black hat market . We are an actual store unlike some retailers who sell out of their garage or house.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
Of course , if you are in NY please come by our store and see for yourself the selection . What we show on our website is only a fraction of what we carry. The main part of our business is the black hat market . We are an actual store unlike some retailers who sell out of their garage or house.

I wish I could get to the store. Not that I've had bad service online (I've ordered three Borsalinos since May), I'd just like to see the shop. Alas, I am quite far from NY.

Dear Nemo

New in Town
I must be living right, is all I can say. I stopped by a junk store here in town that I have found a few bargins, including my Stetson Sratoliner. So I was not totaly suprised at what I found today, but I was delighted to say the least. Can anyone date this hat?

MVC-382F.jpg

MVC-384F.jpg

MVC-383F.jpg

MVC-386F.jpg

Gorgeous hat! Harmony of shapes and colors !!!

Jack Savage

New in Town
Hi Jack, Trust me , we do care a lot about our customers. We have been in business for over 65 years. In the past month , we have received a huge amount of orders for Borsalino hats and its caught us off guard . we are trying to fill all of the orders as best as we can. You can always PM me or email us at besdor@mindspring.com and we will try to help you out. Of course , if you are in NY please come by our store and see for yourself the selection . What we show on our website is only a fraction of what we carry. The main part of our business is the black hat market . We are an actual store unlike some retailers who sell out of their garage or house.
Thank you. I guess it just wasn't my day.

Jack Savage

New in Town
Has anyone bought the silver belly Alessandria from Delmonico? What color is it in real life?

Tom

I just received it. It has a bit of olive in it. When I compare it to my Silverbelly Campdraft, the Campdraft is lighter without the olive tint. Also much sturdier hat. I don't know how the Borsalino would hold up in the rain like the Campdraft. This Silverbelly has a strong contrast, kinda like a Stetson Stratoliner in the grey color can't think of the name of it right now and I just sold it a couple of months ago. It looks and feels like the Stratoliner.

If you order with Del Monico they will block it anyway you want as it comes in an open crown. I'm very happy with it. Bought the Classic Fedora also.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today I want to show you a Borsalino that arrived today.
That hat is a gift from Daniele Tanto, a good friend and a member of the lounge .
This stingy beauty is a Borsalino Grandprix from the mid 60s maybe early seventies.
The price of the hat to that time was 7000 Lire. I don't know whether the price was for a new one or a used hat was. The color is anthracite, that sweatband is really thick and feels soft. Thanks Daniele, I love it!

BorsalinoDaniele3.jpg

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Hi all,
I've owned Borsalino straws and a few caps, but this is my first felt fedora. I looked at a few in person in NYC at J&J, but I thought the crowns were a bit stumpy and found the felt to be not particularly substantive. Unsurprisingly, perhaps, J&J stopped carrying the brand entirely shortly after my visit (a friend sent me a picture of the Borsalino sign being taken down off the front of the store - it was replaced with a blue neon Stetson sign).

Anyway, I decided to go vintage and grabbed what appears to be a vintage deadstock model - the long hair felt and whiskey color caught my eye, but I also like the high crown. Anyone have any idea how old this hat might be? I thought it was probably from the '60s or '70s, but someone at Style Forum thought it might be older. I've never heard of a Chicago haberdasher named Thomas & Moore, although a quick google search pulls back lots of eBay auctions featuring men's formal wear items from roughly 1910-1925. I've included a few pics - any info regarding age or Thomas & Moore would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Behind the sweatband and the liner, there ought to be a tag with information about size and what-not for the hat. If you can get a picture of that, folks here might be able to give you an estimate on date.

A

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Uptown,
Just come over the Williamsburg bridge to our store . You will find plenty of Borsalino hats. That hat is from the 1970's. Thomas and Moore was a decent hat account for Borsalino hats back then. I don't think they are still in business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou