Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

The Hatted Professor

New in Town
I haven’t bought hats off the ‘Bay for a while but decided to go for this one. I have Cavanagh Derbies but only one in my size, so now I have two. Both are from the ‘40s.
IMG_2165.jpeg
IMG_2166.jpeg
IMG_2167.jpeg
IMG_2169.jpeg
IMG_2170.jpeg
IMG_2172.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg
However, this one is rather musty and looks like mold or something on the sweatband. The photos didn’t really show this or the foxing on the liner. But the felt and silk ribbon and binding and pristine. The leather is dry so will not survive my sweaty head long. I’ll end up having to replace it.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A real beauty, Brad.

I haven’t bought hats off the ‘Bay for a while but decided to go for this one. I have Cavanagh Derbies but only one in my size, so now I have two. Both are from the ‘40s. View attachment 616037 View attachment 616038 View attachment 616039 View attachment 616040 View attachment 616041 View attachment 616042 View attachment 616043 However, this one is rather musty and looks like mold or something on the sweatband. The photos didn’t really show this or the foxing on the liner. But the felt and silk ribbon and binding and pristine. The leather is dry so will not survive my sweaty head long. I’ll end up having to replace it.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
My problematic relationship with bowler hats continues.
Cabela Bombetta 1.jpg

I honestly have to say that when I saw it on sale I had no doubts despite the size and my little love for this type of hat.
Cabela Bombetta 3.jpg
I have some doubts about its origin because it is a masterfully made bowler hat despite having the lining with the "Cabella" brand, a well-known shop in Milan that still exists at the same address.
Cabella Interno totale.jpg
The lining is held in place by old pieces of ribbon and I found the word "Stylish" on other Italian hats from the 1920s and 1930s.
Cabella Particolare 1.jpg
My questions about its origins aside, it is one of the best bowler hats I have found in my search for elegant or distinctive hats. It is light and beautifully built.
Cabela Bombetta 5.jpg
The cambered brims are perfect and curled with perfection and are 5 centimeters, the crown is 11 centimeters at its maximum.
Cabela Bombetta 6.jpg

Felt is a mixture of wool and fur, this makes me think it is "ancient".
Cabella Particolare 2.jpg
The size as specified is 5 or 57 centimetres.
Cabela Bombetta 4.jpg
One of the best bowlers I've had in my hands.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Bravo, Daniele!

Cabela Bombetta 1.jpg

I honestly have to say that when I saw it on sale I had no doubts despite the size and my little love for this type of hat.
Cabela Bombetta 3.jpg
I have some doubts about its origin because it is a masterfully made bowler hat despite having the lining with the "Cabella" brand, a well-known shop in Milan that still exists at the same address.
The lining is held in place by old pieces of ribbon and I found the word "Stylish" on other Italian hats from the 1920s and 1930s.
My questions about its origins aside, it is one of the best bowler hats I have found in my search for elegant or distinctive hats. It is light and beautifully built.
Cabela Bombetta 5.jpg
The cambered brims are perfect and curled with perfection and are 5 centimeters, the crown is 11 centimeters at its maximum.
Cabela Bombetta 6.jpg

Cabela Bombetta 4.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Cabela Bombetta 1.jpg

Cabela Bombetta 3.jpg
Cabela Bombetta 5.jpg
Cabela Bombetta 6.jpg

Cabela Bombetta 4.jpg
A lovely find, Daniele. I can understand why you just couldn't resist buying that one.

Sometimes a 50's Cavanagh "A Posse Ad Esse" box (Latin: "From possibility to actuality"), has a wonderful additional meaning of the possible, especially when it contains 1930's Stetson.:)

And it is a nice, super clean example, which importantly for me, is in my size. ;)

1717096608381.png
1717096691708.png

Wonderful rolled edge supple sweat:
1717096923683.png

Sold in Chicago:
1717096830976.png

Sold for $7.50
1717097015777.png

Cannot make out the Lot Number......
1717097097855.png

Does have a nice clean duplication number stamped on the sweat. Matches the orange tag number.
1717097234649.png

Bow detail:
1717097280433.png

This one fits well.....and dare I say don't come much cleaner or nicer than this one.:):)

1717097776793.png

This hat was found fairly locally in the wild! Those Marketplace/Classified apps/listings can be a good friend sometimes....;)

Attachments

• 1717097196487.png
    1717097196487.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes a 50's Cavanagh "A Posse Ad Esse" box (Latin: "From possibility to actuality"), has a wonderful additional meaning of the possible, especially when it contains 1930's Stetson.:)

And it is a nice, super clean example, which importantly for me, is in my size. ;)

View attachment 617712 View attachment 617714
View attachment 617717
Sold in Chicago:
View attachment 617716
Sold for $7.50
View attachment 617718
View attachment 617719
Does have a nice clean duplication number stamped on the sweat. Matches the orange tag number.
View attachment 617721
Bow detail:
View attachment 617722
This one fits well.....and dare I say don't come much cleaner or nicer than this one.:):)

View attachment 617723
This hat was found fairly locally in the wild! Those Marketplace/Classified apps/listings can be a good friend sometimes....;)
Wow! Fantastic find, Mark. Congrats!

CRH

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 617717
Sold in Chicago:
View attachment 617716
Sold for $7.50
View attachment 617718
View attachment 617719
View attachment 617721
Bow detail:
View attachment 617722

View attachment 617723
Oh my gosh! I feel faint and weak and excited and strong as hell!

Definitely Derby fever!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That is a very nice bowler. I'm glad it fell into good hands!

View attachment 617717
Sold in Chicago:
View attachment 617716
Sold for $7.50
View attachment 617718
View attachment 617719
View attachment 617721
Bow detail:
View attachment 617722

View attachment 617723

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart