Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Thank you very much, ManofKent. My own attempts to look at Harrods logos didn't help much; all I could say is that it wasn't the current logo. And I didn't look at UK eBay, so that was a help, too. The two hats look virtually identical, except for the white bow in mine. I didn't turn the sweatband down in the one I have - while it seems fairly pliable, I didn't want to tear it. Perhaps there is a tag behind the sweatband that would be helpful. Mine isn't in a Harrods box. It is in a hat box from a U.S. department store, but that is just a box someone had laying around.

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw my dad this weekend. He recalled getting the bowler in about 1970 or a touch earlier, so your guesses were accurate.

I doubt there's any real difference in construction between bowlers made in the late 50's through to the early 70's anyway :)

I've had no luck identifying the maker from the tag on the auction example. It could be any of the UK makers still in existence at that point. The ribbon fray is very similar to a Failsworth bowler from the early 70's in my collection (if the sweat is solid, have a look on the underside to see if the sweat is marked with the size printed inside a circle - Failsworth often did that), but it could easily be Christys' or Olney... Lincoln Bennett closed in the late 60's but you can't rule them out, as hats may well have been kept in stock for a few years.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Here is a bowler hat that my dad gave my son. I don't know anything about it other than what you can see here. He might have gotten it in London in '57 or so, but it is possible that it dates to later than that. The felt is stiff, of course, but fairly thin. The brim is curled almost 180 degrees on the sides. It isn't marked as to size, but it might be around a 7 1/2, maybe 7 3/8. What can anyone tell me about it?

7exx.jpg

1s8b.jpg

8j1p.jpg

Given the crown shape, brim curl, ribbon, and especially the very distinctive nap, I would say this could very well be a 60s-70s era Lock Co. bowler hat, or was produced by the same factory they got theirs from.

ManofKent

New arrival. A High Crowned Bowler in a UK 7 3/8! It fits!

Lincoln Bennett - Can anyone hazard a guess to it's age beyond 1901-1953?

Lovely condition, and in a large size, although the crown height will probably reduce it's wear time!

Richard, Great find! My guess would be later 30s-40s but it's tough with stiff felts. There are some other LB Bowlers you may want to search for comparison.

ManofKent

Richard, Great find! My guess would be later 30s-40s but it's tough with stiff felts. There are some other LB Bowlers you may want to search for comparison.

Thanks. I tried looking up the hatters where it was sold, but other than the building where J E Carhart resided was until recently a lounge bar I didn't get very far (the 62-64 Picadilly is the hatters address - not Lincoln Bennett's who were based in Picadilly London).

High crown bowlers aren't common for any period, but I think that style was even less in vogue by the 50's. The frayed bow was more popular in the 30's than latter years, but as I own a Failsworth bowler from the late 60's/early 70's I know that at least on bowlers it's not a good dating indicator.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Very nice, Richard. Great shape and dimensions.

I can't suggest a date, but I would trust mayserwegener's instincts about dating based on style and internal characteristics.

The most profound statement I have ever read on the subject of bowlers was posted in this thread by alanfg: "They are more similar than different." (I have probably quoted this line before, but it deserves to be said many times.) Given the similarities between different examples, it's interesting that someone would want to own more than one bowler -- and yet I do. It's also interesting that some bowlers are special. Yours looks like a special one!

ManofKent

Very nice, Richard. Great shape and dimensions.

I can't suggest a date, but I would trust mayserwegener's instincts about dating based on style and internal characteristics.

The most profound statement I have ever read on the subject of bowlers was posted in this thread by alanfg: "They are more similar than different." (I have probably quoted this line before, but it deserves to be said many times.) Given the similarities between different examples, it's interesting that someone would want to own more than one bowler -- and yet I do. It's also interesting that some bowlers are special. Yours looks like a special one!

I'm only up to four bowlers, but am always on the look out for something a little different (and in a big enough size to fit my oversized head!). A nice brown or grey vintage bowler in a 7 1/2 is on my wish list, as is a squared top :)

This one is pretty tall 6" crown as opposed to the more usual English bowler height of around 4 1/2". I don't expect to see many more in my size!

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Love the fuzzy nap on the Harrods Bowler JHE88, its almost a dead ringer for a Herbert Johnson bowler I have.

Richard, thats an absolutely splendid tall crown on that Lincoln Bowler, what a great block shape.

I scored this today and i'm very happy to find a grey bowler in workable condition in my size, let alone one this old.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I am glad to see that one go to s line member. I spotted it but am focusing on other things.

Great score! What would you say the age is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here is a bowler hat that my dad gave my son. I don't know anything about it other than what you can see here. He might have gotten it in London in '57 or so, but it is possible that it dates to later than that. The felt is stiff, of course, but fairly thin. The brim is curled almost 180 degrees on the sides. It isn't marked as to size, but it might be around a 7 1/2, maybe 7 3/8. What can anyone tell me about it?

7exx.jpg

1s8b.jpg

8j1p.jpg
What a lovely thing. Looks just like the Loch and Co I bought from them in 1978. That felt, lining format and shape looks so similar.

Denton

One of the Regulars
That's a beautiful hat, OCMH. I think rlk has posted a number of hats made by Melton. If I'm thinking of the right company, I believe he said that the quality of their hats is consistently very high.

Had not noticed the motto "Art in Hats" previously. I like that.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Seb Lucas - I don't know if you saw my later posts, but my dad told me that it dates to more like 1970. Others have guessed it might have been made by Locke, too.

I wish it fit me, but it is too small.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb Lucas - I don't know if you saw my later posts, but my dad told me that it dates to more like 1970. Others have guessed it might have been made by Locke, too.

I wish it fit me, but it is too small.

I grew out of mine. Always wanted to replace it. think I may buy a Christy's fur felt one from the menswear store in Melbourne. Looks similar to the Locke version. Problem is their sizing is strange. I normally wear a 58 but the Christy's bowler needs to be a 60-61.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn