Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Ephraim Tutt said:
Thanks for that Dhermann. Since posting the above question I stumbled upon an old WWII newsreport which described Winston Churchill wearing his 'square bowler' - so, it was obviously a common term, and style, back then. Now I just need a photo!

Churchill's square bowler is what they refer to as a Cambridge Bowler. You'll probably find a lot more with that name.
winston-churchill-170.gif

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
A less stylized picture of the Cambridge Bowler on Churchill:
09_winston_churchill.jpg

Aaahhhh.....Mr Powers. Suddenly it all makes sense. It's the high, square-top crown they're referring to!

Many thanks for that. Now, where can I buy one??

Ephraim Tutt said:
Aaahhhh.....Mr Powers. Suddenly it all makes sense. It's the high, square-top crown they're referring to!

Many thanks for that. Now, where can I buy one??

Jack McKicking in Canda custom makes them. Aside from that, I have no idea where. [huh]
John McMicking
L&H HATS
179 Melville Street
Dundas, Ontario
L9H 2A9
Phone: (905) 627-7492
mcmicking@canada.com

I am not sure if the email still works.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
I think I already posted this picture somewehere on the lounge (by the way, is there a quick way to browse through your own posts?)

steed1.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
OddSteve said:
I think I already posted this picture somewehere on the lounge (by the way, is there a quick way to browse through your own posts?)

Yes, click on your name above your avatar, and you will see one option that reads something like "Find more posts by...". That's it! ;)

Great pic BTW!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Where do you suppose I could find one similar to this? Preferably in more of an earth tone rather than black.

bowler.gif

I should also add that I'm only 10 minutes from Virginia City and have yet to find the time lately to dally in their hat shops recently ... without children tagging along. I would hope I can find one there among the rest of the western wear.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I found another Dunn & Co bowler, which will hopefully fit a little better. Keeping my fingers crossed, it should be here tomorrow.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Looks like Bat Masterson had the same taste in hats as myself. Maybe I can cross reference his name in my hat searches? Somebody's got to have one.

Finding a proper 20th Century-styled Derby is hard enough these days, but finding someone that can do a proper 19th Century one is even harder. However, Clearwater Hats makes a decent-looking one. Look at their "Bowler" [sic].

I take issue with their "taller styles lasting into the 1930s" bit. After the turn of the century, crown heights started dropping. By the time you get to the 1930s, a Derby crown was on average about 5 inches tall, quite a bit shorter than the 19th-Century crowns.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No, I haven't ordered anything from them. I knew a fellow once that ordered a couple of them, and he always seemed happy with them.

Brad

LocktownDog said:
Looks like Bat Masterson had the same taste in hats as myself. Maybe I can cross reference his name in my hat searches? Somebody's got to have one.

batmasterson1879.jpg

Stetson actually made a hat named after Masterson. I have one and it looks quite similar but the brim curl is not nearly as tight. They probably made them from the 60s-80s some time. The brim is 3 1/4".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24