Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

...I've got two caps from B-wear, an 8-panel and a Brando "Wild One" style motorcycle cap...I'm with Hoosier Daddy though, there's something a little off about the 8-panel...it could be that the brim seems kinda small...
Bingo. Their brims are noticeably narrower than those on caps with more "traditional" patterns. It may be a "signature" look for them, and I know they have a lot of loyal customers, but I'm not a fan.

i think i will try hat people next, they look like good cut hats
I have three Hat People caps, and I really like them. They're made from Pendleton wool and each has a different pattern, but they're consistent with regards to shape and quality and all fit exactly the same. You can see photos here, here, and here. I've gotten very good customer service from them and, as best I can remember, received my caps within two to three weeks.

That said, if you're looking for an 8/4 panel cap with the "traditional" flat cap look (what I call the "pancake" look) you might be able to achieve that with an "extra full cut" Hat People's cap, but all three of mine are the "full cut" and drape similarly to the 1960s-era flat caps (i.e., more relaxed). The brims are soft and shapeable, but won't hold the shape once you remove the cap. Also, they don't normally install snaps on the brim, and I don't know if they even offer them if requested; I don't care about them, so I've never asked. And you're limited to the material they have on-hand. I asked about sending them material to make a cap, and was told they no longer do that because it became too problematic for them when customers sent them material that was not suitable for a cap (i.e., too thin, too thick, too old and fragile, not durable, etc.); I got the impression they prefer not doing special requests.

All things considered, I'm very happy with the quality of the service and the caps I received from Hat People, and in my opinion they're great caps for the price.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
All I remember about B! Wear Caps is that when I barely started making caps in the beginning of 2012 I was referred to him to answer one of my questions, but when I contacted him he didn't want to help me. :(
Brett has his own style and Hat People too. But if anyone takes the time to read here on The Cap Faction a few years back you will see reviews on many cap company's and that will help you decide on what to purchase.
I tried Hat People's extra full cut cap and I didn't like it at all and sold it I think the same week here in the Classifieds.
B! Wear, well, I didn't really like what I seen on his website so I never ordered.

But, when I purchased my first true 1920s/1930s vintage newsboy cap, well, I was hooked! Just like many others here on the lounge. But everyone has different taste in caps, so The Hat People is great for some and B! Wear for others.
But I do believe that he should have taken back the cap to redo the mistake. Thats good customer service.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
All I remember about B! Wear Caps is that when I barely started making caps in the beginning of 2012 I was referred to him to answer one of my questions, but when I contacted him he didn't want to help me. :(
Brett has his own style and Hat People too. But if anyone takes the time to read here on The Cap Faction a few years back you will see reviews on many cap company's and that will help you decide on what to purchase.
I tried Hat People's extra full cut cap and I didn't like it at all and sold it I think the same week here in the Classifieds.
B! Wear, well, I didn't really like what I seen on his website so I never ordered.

But, when I purchased my first true 1920s/1930s vintage newsboy cap, well, I was hooked! Just like many others here on the lounge. But everyone has different taste in caps, so The Hat People is great for some and B! Wear for others.
But I do believe that he should have taken back the cap to redo the mistake. Thats good customer service.
I have to agree here. There's been posts from Loungers who bought caps from Hat People and B Wear and were sorely disappointed with their purchases. I've looked through their sites and their caps are definitely not what I would want to buy, but, to each his own. I've seen pics posted of Loungers wearing those caps from HP and B Wear and they just don't look right to me. When I get an opportunity to have a newsboy cap made for myself it'll either be from Simonds or from Cordova. Both of those guys turn out some real fine vintage looking caps.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Well, very I'm happy with this one. :thumb: Brett (B! Wear) had recommended the blue/white herringbone, which was my very first choice, so I went with it. I also asked him for specifics, like reducing the amount of drape that normally falls over the ears and sizing to the nearest 1/8".

It was definitely on par and exceeded my expectations! When I asked for 22 5/8" he actually suggested that it be 3/4" to allow some comfort. I should have taken his advice; the cap is certainly comfortable, but I think that the 1/8" relief would be more comfortable while putting the cap on. Though, once it's on it does feel good. Very happy with this fabric.

Brett's prices are hard to beat, I will be placing another order soon...

79552876.jpg

15F9532C.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Well, very I'm happy with this one. :thumb: Brett (B! Wear) had recommended the blue/white herringbone, which was my very first choice, so I went with it. I also asked him for specifics, like reducing the amount of drape that normally falls over the ears and sizing to the nearest 1/8".

It was definitely on par and exceeded my expectations! When I asked for 22 5/8" he actually suggested that it be 3/4" to allow some comfort. I should have taken his advice; the cap is certainly comfortable, but I think that the 1/8" relief would be more comfortable while putting the cap on. Though, once it's on it does feel good. Very happy with this fabric.

Brett's prices are hard to beat, I will be placing another order soon...

That one actually looks pretty good on you.

Looks good on you A-n-A. That fabric is definately top shelf, it looks great. And you're right, his prices are very hard to beat.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Rudie

Call Me a Cab

I have two B!Wear caps, but since I started wearing vintage caps I just can't bring myself to wear them anymore. They just look weird and downright wrong to me now with their narrow brims and floppy crowns. Pretty much like I would feel weirdly costumed with a modern low rise suit made from tissue weight fabric. The only alternative to vintage caps for me would be a custom cap by one of the Lounge's custom makers now.

Bingo. Their brims are noticeably narrower than those on caps with more "traditional" patterns. It may be a "signature" look for them, and I know they have a lot of loyal customers, but I'm not a fan.

I have three Hat People caps, and I really like them. They're made from Pendleton wool and each has a different pattern, but they're consistent with regards to shape and quality and all fit exactly the same. You can see photos here, here, and here. I've gotten very good customer service from them and, as best I can remember, received my caps within two to three weeks.

That said, if you're looking for an 8/4 panel cap with the "traditional" flat cap look (what I call the "pancake" look) you might be able to achieve that with an "extra full cut" Hat People's cap, but all three of mine are the "full cut" and drape similarly to the 1960s-era flat caps (i.e., more relaxed). The brims are soft and shapeable, but won't hold the shape once you remove the cap. Also, they don't normally install snaps on the brim, and I don't know if they even offer them if requested; I don't care about them, so I've never asked. And you're limited to the material they have on-hand. I asked about sending them material to make a cap, and was told they no longer do that because it became too problematic for them when customers sent them material that was not suitable for a cap (i.e., too thin, too thick, too old and fragile, not durable, etc.); I got the impression they prefer not doing special requests.

All things considered, I'm very happy with the quality of the service and the caps I received from Hat People, and in my opinion they're great caps for the price.
great looking Lids, i think your cut has a more gentlemanly look, could be worn which tweed suits and casual , me i am looking for more of the blue collar dock worker /prison look, i think i need a more floppier drape----------- i am considering getting one now but not sure if I wanted the extra full cut or the full-whats with the adjusting strap------ cool beard brother, i wish my work allowed it

Last edited:
hello all, id like to intruduce myself, my name is Tim, im from northern california, ive been on the fedora lounge cap faction for a couple of years now, but i have been too shy to post, ive been studying alot photos of vintage caps on here as well as in movies from the 30's and vintage photos as well, ive been teaching myself to sew and draw patterns to try to recreate the vintage cap shape, i havent owned a vintage cap yet but i think the shape i came up with is pretty close for just doing it by eye, here my latest attempt at making a cap, its lightweight italian wool with a bemberg rayon lining and a vegetable tanned sheepskin sweatband that i cut from a whole hide, i also use a black vintage style segma snap ,here are a couple pics
mecap.jpg
sweat7cap.jpg
, i will add more later
well it sure looks like you pulled it off nicely

i have been wearing these newsboys for years, here a couple of pics when me and my wife got married 20 years ago, and when i was tugging, i can't find the originals so i took some pics off the wall, lol

bfea3372-2c56-4d07-a505-8ca21deba60e.jpg
5add5e8f-6742-4cf3-b631-85e97e6741b0.jpg
4c464fef-71a1-4c7c-9398-9db6d2990491.jpg

Last edited:
great looking Lids, i think your cut has a more gentlemanly look, could be worn which tweed suits and casual , me i am looking for more of the blue collar dock worker /prison look, i think i need a more floppier drape...
Thank you. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "gentlemanly", or the difference between that and a "blue collar dock worker/prison look". It could be the way I wear them--centered on top of my head rather than having the crown off to one side or the other. There's enough crown with the "full cut" to play with the look somewhat, but for wearing them the way I do what you see is what you get.

...i am considering getting one now but not sure if I wanted the extra full cut or the full-whats with the adjusting strap------ cool beard brother, i wish my work allowed it
I've thought about getting one with the "extra full cut", but the Capas cap I have (seen here) already has more crown than I prefer. The "adjusting strap" is simply a length of elastic sewn beneath the sweatband; you pull it through a small access hole in the sweatband until the cap cinches down to the preferred fit (I'd guess as much as 2" if necessary), and secure it with a small safety pin (which they provide). I don't use the adjusting straps because their caps fit me just right as-is, so they lie unused and unseen beneath the sweatbands of my caps.

As for the beard, I've been fortunate that most of the places I've worked at over the last 35 or so years didn't really care as long as I kept it neatly trimmed; now that I'm on the "disabled list" I can wear my beard and hair however I want to, but if I don't keep it trimmed I look like a deranged bum or a Duck Dynasty employee. :p

Wonderful photos you shared with us! Your wife is lovely, and with that cap...well, let's just say I really like the look of an attractive woman in a flat cap; I'm a child of the 60s, what can I say? Looking at your photos again, it occurs to me that the caps you're wearing in them is the "blue collar dock worker/prison look" you mentioned above, and I think you just might be able to re-create that look with one of Hat People's "extra full cut" caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner