Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Feraud

Bartender
That 30s wool crepe is gorgeous! I can almost feel the texture through the photo!
I applaud your attention to detail. You have the eye of an artist who takes pride in his work.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I was recently reminded by a family member that I acquired a likeness for nice caps at a very early age.
Me 1956.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Your caps are glorious Stuffsmith, keep up the good work.

Here is something a little different, a Ralph Lauren military inspired cap that I 'saved' from my local shopping centre.

The distressing (not something I'm normally fond of) looks authentic, I think this comes across in the photos.
Note the strap so that you don't lose the cap in a sandstorm. ;)
With the badge removed it should make a good accompaniment to a leather or denim jacket.

I think I might not be quite macho enough to rock this cap so I may offer it for a reasonable price in the classifieds if there is interest. The size is XL61.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Here is something a little different, a Ralph Lauren military inspired cap that I 'saved' from my local shopping centre.

My first thought was 'OH NO, THE BADGE!' Then I scrolled down to see you had the good taste to swap it out. It's a very cool cap, actually - the leather and detailing looks nice!

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
For all the fantastic RRL clothing, with real attention to period detail, the RRL vintage-style caps, for lack of a better word, SUCK. It's weird. That one excepted, of course!

For all the fantastic RRL clothing, with real attention to period detail, the RRL vintage-style caps, for lack of a better word, SUCK. It's weird. That one excepted, of course!
So.....about the same ratio of cool to suck as everything else in his output. I believe it was Benny Holiday who pointed out in different thread, when Ralph is good, he's very good, but when he's not.........

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Well, the volume is so massive with RL stuff. But I'm specifically talking about RRL here, which once you get past the denim which is often bogus, the shirts, sweaters, trousers and jackets are pretty much all quite amazing.

But they have no clue about headwear.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Just minutes old! I'm going to cut & paste my info about this one from my Well-Dressed Head FB page:

Although I make caps to sell, I am primarily, at the end of the day, a wearer and devotee of the form for my own head - my daily hair, as it were. So I allow myself the occasional indulgence.

Rarely does a fabric comes along that is quite this unique and scarce. Found in an attic stash with other vintage fabrics from 1900-1930, this 18 x 24" square of hand-loomed weaving was neatly folded in tissue and largely avoided the ravages of time. The stunning chevron pattern places it, to my eye, squarely in the 1920's. It is 100% cotton, the backing a heavy raw uncolored waffle weave. Snaking across the top, however, are three colors of mercerized cotton embroidery thread, snared into the fabric on the horizontal and then allowed to float above the weave in vertical cascades.

I've held this fabric for a few years now, and today it has become my newest cap to see me into the autumn.

'L'aronde' (The dove), 8 dart casquette. Lined with 1950's Japanese 'yukata' indigo-dyed kimono cotton cloth, with leather sweatband and visor.

Included are images of the weaving intact before working, and the cap in construction.

laronde-1920s-weaving-1.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-2.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-3.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-4.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-5.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-6.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-10.jpg

laronde-1920s-weaving-11.jpg

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
My first box-pleated cap. Good fun!

'The Victory'. Vintage wool, 1920's silk lining, leather appointments, vintage snap. Six box pleats with back band.

victory-green-wool-1.jpg

victory-green-wool-2.jpg

victory-green-wool-3.jpg

victory-green-wool-4.jpg

victory-green-wool-5.jpg

More pix in my Well Dressed Head merchant thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24