Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

NorthernBloke

Familiar Face
What is old becomes new ;)
Yep, early 20th century style is timeless. Just bought this failsworth james cap for £8, this style was around in the thirties too. Going to have to have a break from cap purchases after this i have enough now to outfit a platoon with caps.
s-l1600.jpg

Yep, early 20th century style is timeless. Just bought this failsworth james cap for £8, this style was around in the thirties too. Going to have to have a break from cap purchases after this i have enough now to outfit a platoon with caps.
View attachment 420798
Oh, to live where you live just so I might arrive at the shops a few minutes before you and take home a few beauties like this one for myself! Great caps!

NorthernBloke

Familiar Face
Oh, to live where you live just so I might arrive at the shops a few minutes before you and take home a few beauties like this one for myself! Great caps!
cheers, i buy them off ebay 99% of the time, i just check it everyday, most times its luck, I very rarely see any old style caps in shops, it's more modern ones the majority of the time. It is a nice cap, had to remove the plastic bit on the snap button again though so i could drape it to the side more.
IMG_20220501_140639.jpg

dkstott

Practically Family
cheers, i buy them off ebay 99% of the time, i just check it everyday, most times its luck, I very rarely see any old style caps in shops, it's more modern ones the majority of the time. It is a nice cap, had to remove the plastic bit on the snap button again though so i could drape it to the side more.
View attachment 422350
Wow, whenever I look on ebay for newsboy caps, all I see are the cheap Chinese junk.

NorthernBloke

Familiar Face
I search for ''flat cap'' then filter out the new items out by clicking on used only, then select newly listed at the top of the page, bear in mind i am in the UK and don't wear newsboy caps so i'm not sure what results you would get. You can still get the cap style i like by searching for ''bond tweed cap'' on google.

Wow, whenever I look on ebay for newsboy caps, all I see are the cheap Chinese junk.
Long story short, in October of 2019 I went back to work for a period of seven months, most of which were spent in a local warehouse filling customer orders. As such, I bought a few of those "cheap Chinese junk" flat caps just to keep the dust and other filth from that warehouse out of my hair. Didn't cost me much, I didn't have to worry about ruining any of my better caps, and I didn't have to resort to ball caps. Sometimes that "cheap Chinese junk" is just the ticket. ;)

dkstott

Practically Family
Long story short, in October of 2019 I went back to work for a period of seven months, most of which were spent in a local warehouse filling customer orders. As such, I bought a few of those "cheap Chinese junk" flat caps just to keep the dust and other filth from that warehouse out of my hair. Didn't cost me much, I didn't have to worry about ruining any of my better caps, and I didn't have to resort to ball caps. Sometimes that "cheap Chinese junk" is just the ticket. ;)
Oh, I get the need for cheap hats to avoid ruining better ones. I own several caps that were made in China that are sold by Bailey, Gamble and Gunn, etc.

My issue is with the cheap Chinese caps on Ebay. The few that I've purchased barely lasted a month of wear. The stitching was poor with loose threads or incomplete. They've had extremely thin material that faded from sun faster than it should & sizing was very inaccurate.

...My issue is with the cheap Chinese caps on Ebay. The few that I've purchased barely lasted a month of wear. The stitching was poor with loose threads or incomplete. They've had extremely thin material that faded from sun faster than it should & sizing was very inaccurate.
Yep, those are the caps I was referring to. I knew they'd be rubbish, but I didn't spend much on them so it didn't bother me too much when they didn't fit well, got snagged on a sharp somethingorother and had to be thrown away, kept shifting position on my head, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

thatguykeek

New in Town
The Legend of the Goorin Grenadier. As the tale would have it, the Grenadier line saved Goorin Brothers in mid century. It's a story I have heard uh, and maybe somebody can confirm it or clear it up perhaps. As the formality of the 40s transitioned into the casual nature of the 60s, hat makers were struggling to find new markets. Just in the nick of time Goorin brought out the Grenadier line, reinventing itself a little, by adding some outdoorsy and sportsmen's hats. Featured here is my favored waxed cotton cap complete with ill-fitting ear flaps. Despite the weirdo earflaps I really do love the hat. And the waxed cotton is ideal for attracting dust and Chihuahua hair. So there you have it, Goorin Bros. was saved and today's hipsters have something to wear.

20220502_221716.jpg
20220502_221736.jpg
20220502_221725.jpg

quikrick

One Too Many
I've been eying some all leather newsboys for sale on various sites.

What's the thought on their being too hot in warm weather ?
Dave, I’ve been looking at leather caps as well. I haven’t got one yet as I have the same questions/concern about the warm weather. I think I’m just give it a shot. If it turns out that the leather is too hot, I’ll just wait to wear it when the weather cools off.
I’ll let you know!

dkstott

Practically Family
What's the general opinion on lambswool in newsboy caps?

Is it durable??

I've got my eye on a used Wigens cap on ebay.

I know what lambswool is, but a Google search on the lounge just gave opinions on its use in sweaters & jackets.

I haven't found anything on caps made with lambswool. It's apparently softer than shetland and the various tweets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff