Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Feraud

Bartender
For reference. Dwight Frye from The Maltese Falcon, 1931.
untitled.jpg

maltesefalcon31.jpg

Razzman

One Too Many
3 recent 8 panel caps. Left to right. B!Wear, Grey Tweed Herringbone, Hat People, Herringbone Green, Brown & Black in a full cut, and a Blue Patchwork Wigens. I thought it would be nice to see them side by side for comparison. All three are well made in my opinion. The B! Wear & Hat People are made in the USA, the Wigens although a Sweedish product was made in Estonia. The Wigens was also twice as expensive as the other two. The B! Wear has a button on the brim, and Wigens has three buttons on the brim. The Hat People hat does not have a button brim.

DSC01781.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01782.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01783.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC01784.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

email68

One of the Regulars
I was taught that the etiquette rules applied to all hats, so to me it makes no difference what kind of hat it is; fedora, flatcap, western hat, baseball cap, etc., the rules are the rules.

Probably a good idea. Although the ball cap wearing buddy I work with never takes his hat off ;-). He jokes with everyone about me that we need an extra chair at the restaurant for my hat....

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Bi-Wear uses such a small (narrow) brim without a center seam lined up with the middle of the brim. Rather the seams run to each side of the brim. To me..it tends to almost give the cap a beret look when worn. Any one else notice this difference compared to most other caps?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
email68;1392982He jokes with everyone about me that we need an extra chair at the restaurant for my hat....[/QUOTE said:
That's because he doesn't have the gut's to where a hat different than everyone else and by singling out you and your non conforming hat it will make you uncomfortable. You are just not conforming and he is trying to make you conform. :)

HoosierDaddy I see the small size of the brim on the B! Wear cap. It's almost baseball cap in size I don't have one so I don't know how the fabric is applied to the brim. But the size of the brim needs to be wider for me or the size of the body of the cap needs to be smaller. It is out of proportion with the rest of the cap and that is what I see in the pictures above.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Palm Beach "The Sportsman" Dbl. Snap Flat Cap

P1030676.JPG
P1030675.JPG

P1030673.JPG
P1030674.JPG

I doubt this was ever worn. Ultra-light with a gros grain ribbon covered leather sweatband.

email68

One of the Regulars
The comments so far since wearing my cap.

"You going golfing?"
"Where is your convertible?"
"You remind me of a jockey, you know, like with horses."

;-)

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Denim Zasu cap. Doesn't have the structure of the wool one, but still rather joyous to wear. Blue caps don't really suit my complexion, so I will probably avoid the shade in future, but denim is a good spring and autumn fabric. Positives with Zasu caps - huge brim, shady, crown also offers a bit of protection from sun and rain, and I haven't seen a better lining in a newsboy - that eight panel lining fits exactly to the shape of the crown and because it covers the band means there is no sweaty leather or elastic digging into your forehead. Negatives - hmm, perhaps the button is a bit dicky.

100_5891 by Adnamira, on Flickr

100_5904 by Adnamira, on Flickr

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes what is up with that button.:D Like the brim on the cap though nice an big. It takes a while with Denim to get it to lay the way you want I can see on yours that it is kind of wavy. I where my Hat People Denim cap all year round I even wore it to work today.:)

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I just don't understand why Bi-Wear uses such a small (narrow) brim without a center seam lined up with the middle of the brim. Rather the seams run to each side of the brim. To me..it tends to almost give the cap a beret look when worn. Any one else notice this difference compared to most other caps?

Shhhhhh! I think they can hear us. I was looking at B! Wear's website today, and a ways down the page I see this;

bigtwd.JPG

A new version, with a wider brim and the seam down the middle. It runs $50, while the original one is 35. I might have to try one of these..........

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Yes what is up with that button.:D Like the brim on the cap though nice an big. It takes a while with Denim to get it to lay the way you want I can see on yours that it is kind of wavy. I where my Hat People Denim cap all year round I even wore it to work today.:)
Yeah, it's got a comical Jetsons cartoon look about that button. The brim is like the hp brims - you can shape it how you want. A denim cap is like a pair of jeans, eh - a good casual all year round cap. Yep, newsboys seem to have to be worn for a while to look their best. My hp linen cap is working well for summer, but the full cut is only half the size in dimension to these Zasus. One things with the zasu too, is that hem is quite thick around the band, so if the cap is a bit big and you have big ears it will sit down on them and the weight will push your ears out *laughs* If I had smaller ears, I'd be tempted to tuck my ears into it - plenty of room :p

m0nk

One Too Many
So I've worked up an interest in flat caps and was wondering about sizing. I'm a size 6 7/8 or 7 in fedoras and so I think a medium would work. Do flat caps typically shrink a tad similar to many fedoras? Would it be better to buy slightly big than slightly small? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael