Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
and a few more shots;(sorry for quality of photo-taken through a mirror-which I should have cleaned first!)
27zaeer.jpg
mvlyfc.jpg
hx91mr.jpg
2le09i8.jpg
.hmm looking at that last photo I think it's time to shift the 'winter layer'....jacket is a three button 1960's Harris tweed which is my current favourite and just back from my tailors after a couple of alterations.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
That's a good City Sport, that one, Estaban! It's probably the most vintage looking one so far. The brim doesn't look stitched down. The smaller newsboy CS reminds me of the Hat People full cut in the crown size, except with a bigger brim. As well as the fabrics they use, I love the brim dimensions. It's good when a brim wraps around your temples, I reckon.

Nice jacket too - they work well together!

You know, I reckon City Sport caps are made to a price, but they put a priority on the fabrics they use and an attention to detail in how the patterns in their caps run true, and that is to me what makes them great value. It will be interesting to compare the Retro Sport cap when it arrives. Judging from the photos, the linings and overall make might be better on the Retro Sport Caps, but I notice that in the photo of the Retro Sport that I ordered that the lines in the pattern aren't centred. Exact symmetry might be an anal teutonic thing that perhaps is a little too orderly for a cap that has its roots in a workers garment, but once you own one cap where everything lines up, your eye starts being drawn to it - bit annoying really. Really my soft spot for the brand was really based on hearing them play Tom Waits' song 'Innocent When You Dream' and 'I've Got the Tune' by Chinese Man on their website - my judgement is completely clouded by that clever bit of marketing. I think City Sports should make a cap with an inbuilt squeeze sound device like they have in those stupid birthday cards, which plays 'I've Got The Tune' everytime you put the cap on.

[video=youtube;kqjeNSNuNPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqjeNSNuNPM[/video]

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
mvlyfc.jpg

It looks great the the hat draped like that cap straight on the noggin bad in my book.

DSCN1139.jpg

That is a great Donegal Tweed. You want a chunky weave with that style of Tweed.

Watch this episode of Put this on. One of my favorite podcast.

donegal-tweed-at-molloy-sons-i-just-got-back

molloy and sons.com

Bela get some of their chunky weave tweed now and make some cap's out of it they will be grand.:)

Here is another video on the Molloy an Sons Donegal weavers.
molloy-and-sons--heritage-tweed

Good Stuff.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
@Esteban68: The City Sports cap has that great vintage look to it that I like so much - very neat!

@The Wise Hatter: Very informative videos, thank´s a lot! The #2 video was filmed so well, now I want more Donegal tweed.... :D

Frank

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I'll have to watch that, Hatter. At the moment I am converting a video, damn camcorder formats, and am afraid I'll crash this poor old laptop if I try now. I just wonder how they stitch that fabric together - those threads look chunky, but I suppose there is a warp or weft to it that can be stitched somehow (I have no idea about those sorts of things). I quite like it - it has a nice Pro Hart lumps of paint look about it.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
cheers guys ...you gotta wear the hat not just sit it on your head, when you get to 40 you can do pretty much what you want, when you see guys in their teens and twenties with their pants halfway down their legs you just gotta think " I'll never look that bad" the peak isn't stitched it has a snapper on it, not sure how old the cap is but the original price tag was at £75!
I agree re the peak many hats the peak is waaaay too small, It was a bonus that it was in Harris tweed and I was looking for a near match to that jacket and my black leather 'reefer/peacoat' and I found it at last.I'd certainly go for another City Sport if the price was right.I'll have to see what the price is like in Holland as the inlaws live there, who knows I might get them cheaper?

Harris tweeds vary from very soft almost silk like in the lighter herringbones to heavy almost cardboard like as in the jacket I am wearing in the pictures( I'll post some more in the appropriate thread asap of the jacket), I have another similar jacket that has almost no 'hair' on it and its all over so must have been woven like that and it's an even denser tighter weave, however it's too small and has some issues it's the one I was thinking of getting a hat or two made from.

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
You know, considering that this is 'The Cap Faction' rather than specifically Vintage Eight Panel or Eight Dart French Cap, there aren't many other types of cap, except for the occasional flat cap or Ivy. Where are the Engineer, Millitary and Cricket Caps... there are a few po... I mean English type persons on here. I would have expected an occasional ring-in would pop up now and then.

Last edited:

wintergreen

New in Town
Hat or cap?

This has been my foul weather headwear for around 10 years.
Made by Barbour - I guess it would be described as a Deerstalker but without the earflaps. Its very comfortable to wear and great for keeping rain out.

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Damn it, I thought this outfit worked well for me in this - City Sport cap, tweed (I expect a chinese made tweed) sports coat, over a t-shirt and with jeans, but I didn't put the camera far enough across the room and the top of my head gets cut out. Luckily I have terrible posture and you can see cap a fair bit as I lean forward and look to the side, which shows how well this cap suits me. I'm not saying City Sport are the best caps in the world, but they work for me. I mainly do these videos, because otherwise I would never remember how to play these songs if I didn't, so struggling to find the time to do them and busy with cables, mics and interfaces and cameras, I usually haven't worried how I dress, but I quite enjoyed this and will have to make more effort with this side of things in future - just chucking on a cap and a sports coat made a big difference I reckon. You fashionistas are having an influence on me ;)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4GlaSfggM[/video]

I'll have to do some more cap review vlogs (without the singing), because I think you get a better indication of the way the cap fits and looks in a video compared to a photo.

Last edited:

wintergreen

New in Town
That is an interesting one, Wintergreen. Is that the front or the back facing the camera? Nice tweed!

The pic of the hat with me holding it up is from the side.
The peak is the same size front and back and narrower around the sides.
I am unsure of the age as I was given it around 10 years ago.
The label inside has 2 royal crowns and all my newer Barbour clothing has 3 crowns, I have no idea if that helps with dating or not.

Picture-1.jpg

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Damn it, I thought this outfit worked well for me in this - City Sport cap, tweed (I expect a chinese made tweed) sports coat, over a t-shirt and with jeans, but I didn't put the camera far enough across the room and the top of my head gets cut out. Luckily I have terrible posture and you can see cap a fair bit as I lean forward and look to the side, which shows how well this cap suits me. I'm not saying City Sport are the best caps in the world, but they work for me. I mainly do these videos, because otherwise I would never remember how to play these songs if I didn't, so struggling to find the time to do them and busy with cables, mics and interfaces and cameras, I usually haven't worried how I dress, but I quite enjoyed this and will have to make more effort with this side of things in future - just chucking on a cap and a sports coat made a big difference I reckon. You fashionistas are having an influence on me ;)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4GlaSfggM[/video]

I'll have to do some more cap review vlogs (without the singing), because I think you get a better indication of the way the cap fits and looks in a video compared to a photo.

I´d say the sportscoat and cap work nicely for you. I´d just skip the T for a normal shirt or stick to a plain T with no artwork or lettering on it. Some might say a sportscoat and T-shirt is too eighties, but what the heck, we´re fashion idiots after all. :D

Looks good, carry on!

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner