Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

DiamondDave

Vendor
Baron,

I agree completely, that the issue is somewhat muddled. It really is funny since most of the vendors on here are truly passionate collectors as well, and it would seem obvious that we should have a voice in places other than the vendor section. DD

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I agree there is some confusion on this.

I feel that, since Barry Simonds and Johnny J's cap threads were moved over to the vendor's section, there has been less discussion and debate about cap styles. I wish we could revive the level of discussion from a few months back before those threads closed.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
I agree there is some confusion on this.

I feel that, since Barry Simonds and Johnny J's cap threads were moved over to the vendor's section, there has been less discussion and debate about cap styles. I wish we could revive the level of discussion from a few months back before those threads closed.

I totally agree !
those threads had a great following & fueled or revived a interest in caps to not just me.
I will always be a cap fan just as I am a fedora fan..
But it was not thought out well, Editing-removing-moving those great posts & pics....
I believe in the interests & benefits gained to the members that enjoyed learning & sharing.
That is the basis of this forum.....
I know the 2 or 3 all started out here with that in mind (Learning & Sharing) not Capitalizing
& im grateful they are able to fill a niche with the knowledge they gained here to provide us with some Fantastic Vintage Style Caps ...

che

seabass

Call Me a Cab
leamas,
Now were talkin caps !
Looks great ...........

Diamond Dave,
Man the 2 Flighters are Killer ......
awesome work there ! your gonna have to make some similar utility caps & I know you got the talent to do so. !

T-Jones
the City Sport has Cappitude ! I have a couple of City Sports good stuff !

Pinesw
Great Cap & cool video great to see it in Action... man I mean some serious Action.....
Thanks for posting that up & looks Nostalgically cool.....

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
leamas,
Now were talkin caps !
Looks great ...........

Diamond Dave,
Man the 2 Flighters are Killer ......
awesome work there ! your gonna have to make some similar utility caps & I know you got the talent to do so. !

Same here Che would like to get one just to wear as a cap. Maybe in a grey color.

simonc

Practically Family
I agree completely with you Two Types; we all are not just looking at the products produced here we buy, we make, we swap and sell ourselves I don't see why anyone cannot share their new range with us wherever they like - once - at least, sure spam is offensive but one post like above is of interest to me not disinterest. We must not allow vendors to hate on each other but rather to support each other by allowing them freedom to post at least once anywhere something new they have made.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My main concern about this is the loss of the sense of community and the excitement that existed a few months back. That enthusiasm and commitment saw Johnny & Barry interacting with cap lovers in a way that I (and i suspect I am not alone) really responded to. Since that ended I feel that the FL is a less dynamic place.

This isn't a criticism of those runnig the site since they acknowledged that it would take some time to get the balance right. It's just that we haven't got there yet.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my understanding is that new, up and coming vendors (not sure if this applies to Diamond Dave) are allowed their own thread and / or to show work on this thread for a few months to help them get going. then they're moved to the merchants section. unfortunately i aslo agree that this policy has killed off a lot of discussion (although there's no reason the discussion couldn't take place on the merchant's respective thread).

simonc

Practically Family
Marketing is a good thing, spamming is a bad thing. We are all marketing the things we buy and love online or off. An allowance maybe if a craftsman can explain a weave or material via the use of a product he has made I'm all in favour of it, I learn something and I see the end result.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
My main concern about this is the loss of the sense of community and the excitement that existed a few months back. That enthusiasm and commitment saw Johnny & Barry interacting with cap lovers in a way that I (and i suspect I am not alone) really responded to. Since that ended I feel that the FL is a less dynamic place.

This isn't a criticism of those runnig the site since they acknowledged that it would take some time to get the balance right. It's just that we haven't got there yet.

Same goes for the very informative Luxire shirt thread. Only that there seems to be something else going on. Ever took a peek at the spear point collar shirt thread recently? It has changed quite a bit ...

There are of course "Official Affiliates Threads". (See outerwear - there's the Insurrection one on the first page currently.) these seem to be just like the old Cordova & Simonds threads used to be, where the vendor and customers can discuss new items, pros and cons of materials, etc.

That would be an option to essentially resurrect the previous discussions that people miss.

And just to be annoying, a piece of blatant advertising for my sales - might be worthwhile having a glance down in Classifieds!

1920s/30s by Barbier Lamoureux. More at my blog
barbierlamoureuxcap1.jpg

barbierlamoureuxcap8.jpg

barbierlamoureuxcap2.jpg

barbierlamoureuxcap3.jpg

1920s/30s E W Kibbin. More at my blog

kibbincap1.jpg

kibbincap5.jpg

kibbincap8.jpg

1920s/30s Adjustable. more at my blog
adjustablecap1.jpg

adjustablecap3.jpg

adjustablecap4.jpg

DiamondDave

Vendor
There are of course "Official Affiliates Threads". (See outerwear - there's the Insurrection one on the first page currently.) these seem to be just like the old Cordova & Simonds threads used to be, where the vendor and customers can discuss new items, pros and cons of materials, etc.

That would be an option to essentially resurrect the previous discussions that people miss.

Baron,

That is true to a point, but bear in mind that those "Affiliate" threads cost a pretty penny, and when one considers the tight margins that most of us operate under, it is, at best, prohibitive.

DD

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know that when the changes were made, and the old threads were closed, the management referred to the old threads being re-opened in an amended form. Maybe that remains in the pipeline? Anyone have any idea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot