Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Did a little modification on my Stetson Gilchrist caps...I wasn't too satisfied with the looks of them and I wanted to show more of the brim...the material on these caps were sewn to the brim, so I cut the stitching and I was able to move the material around where I wanted to achieve different looks...

Here's my blue Gilchrist with the material pulled back away from the brim....looks a bit like a Greek Fisherman cap...
7rdt.jpg

Here's my grey one with a more traditional Newsboy look with the material draped to one side...notice that more of the brim is exposed...(which is how I like to wear my newsboy caps)...
z9my.jpg

howardeye

Practically Family
Great looking cap! That cap style has always been my favorite, without a snap. With more straighter sides it would be what is called a Stroker Cap popular in the motorcycle world.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Diamond Dave's cap.
1026036_388536471246271_2063586310_o.jpg

Is what stroker caps where made from.
The WW2 uniform cap was very popular in the 50's as they where easily found cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Interesting conversation. In the hot rod world a "stroker cap" means a Big Apple / panel cap. Conventional wisdom being that it's named after the cartoon character Stroker McGurk:

null_zpsb92f1bbc.jpg

That other cap I sometimes hear referred to as a Johnny cap after the character from The Wild One.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Interesting conversation. In the hot rod world a "stroker cap" means a Big Apple / panel cap. Conventional wisdom being that it's named after the cartoon character Stroker McGurk:

null_zpsb92f1bbc.jpg

That other cap I sometimes hear referred to as a Johnny cap after the character from The Wild One.

Interesting find David...

The cap that Brando wore in The Wild One looks very similar to the caps worn by some California motorcycle cops from the 1930s...I also saw this similar cap in the movie Grapes of Wrath...

6q11.jpg

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
What do cordova and simonds caps use for brim stiffener? cardstock would, of course, be vintage correct.

The curiosity was killing me, so I took a 1920s 6 3/4 linen 8 dart cap and cut the bill open to see what they would use to see if it is still available today. So who can identify this woven material? It is also used in the inside underneath the leather sweatband to keep the cap from stretching.

IMG_7461_zps85be4ef4.jpg

IMG_7462_zps6aa12dae.jpg

IMG_7463_zps4d0f8fc8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart