Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went out for a bite at a local hipster eatery last night and saw two ivy caps. Then this morning a student showed up for my last class of the week sporting one. After class I was discussing an upcoming paper with him and a few others, and when I said "New cap?" he laughed and said, "Yeah, I've been checking yours out and they look cool." I wear large-brimmed fedoras and he was probably fishing for an "A", but it was a nice way to end the week. I think I was right a few days back when I thought the ivy caps were making a big comeback. Anyone notice this?

Snortman45

Familiar Face
There's a coworker of mine that has been wearing one for a couple of months, but it looks a little different from the ones I got yesterday. He said his wife bought it for him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I went out for a bite at a local hipster eatery last night and saw two ivy caps. Then this morning a student showed up for my last class of the week sporting one. After class I was discussing an upcoming paper with him and a few others, and when I said "New cap?" he laughed and said, "Yeah, I've been checking yours out and they look cool." I wear large-brimmed fedoras and he was probably fishing for an "A", but it was a nice way to end the week. I think I was right a few days back when I thought the ivy caps were making a big comeback. Anyone notice this?

TB; Today at a large gymnastics meet in Minnesota (>1300 gymnasts) I wore a Cordova Cap (pic below) to the very early morning (at meet site before 7:30am) start. Many other male coaches commented on my cap. I tell them about the bespoke advantages and opportunities we have. Today I actually experienced a coach working on a transaction. Their are folks joining the ranks of FF cap/fedora folks.

i-Q5GfMzm-M.jpg

As to ivy, I do not know. I see almost none of them in my trips thru the cities in state, regionally or nationally I visit. Granted I am mostly people watching at airports. I have seen some fedoras, 8 piece caps and almost no ivy caps. That is just my experience in my part of the world.

Best, Eric -

foamy

A-List Customer
Ivy's and their derivatives are the most common cap/hat I see in DC. I also have a couple of fellow commuter bus riders who have an ivy cap rotation. Newsboys (my preference), are much rarer. I see more fedora types than newsboys. Fedoras that I see the most are usually cloth, stingy brimmed trilbys or outback styled fur felt. Old-style masterpieces such as the custom flat caps that the vendors here make are petty much nonexistent. I'm hoping that might change over the course of time as men get more accustomed to classic headwear.

Berets too, are almost nonexistent, except for women, who wear them mostly as hair covers.

In my little corner of the world, any hat I wear is considered outlandish. Even my friends think I'm a bit "touched." But then, they thought that long before I ever started wearing different styles of hats. Ball caps still rule on the shore.

RJR

Ivy's and their derivatives are the most common cap/hat I see in DC. I also have a couple of fellow commuter bus riders who have an ivy cap rotation. Newsboys (my preference), are much rarer. I see more fedora types than newsboys. Fedoras that I see the most are usually cloth, stingy brimmed trilbys or outback styled fur felt. Old-style masterpieces such as the custom flat caps that the vendors here make are petty much nonexistent. I'm hoping that might change over the course of time as men get more accustomed to classic headwear.

Berets too, are almost nonexistent, except for women, who wear them mostly as hair covers.

In my little corner of the world, any hat I wear is considered outlandish. Even my friends think I'm a bit "touched." But then, they thought that long before I ever started wearing different styles of hats. Ball caps still rule on the shore.
Pretty common attitude :(

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Sterkowski 8 Panel Gatsby Newsboy Cap arrived!
I have several Caps, Stetson, Bugatti, Mayser, Wegener and so on and some of Sterkowski
a Biker Cap and a Maciejowski Cap and both are wonderful and handmade. I saw this nice 8 Panel Gatsby Cap on the Sterkowski Web Site in a Harris Tweed in Blue Black and Melange. That was a colorsheme that I am looking for.
The fabric looks great in real, and the Cap fantastic made, really.
My Size is 56, and the Cap I orderd a 56 too, and she fits perfect! The bill has a good stiffness and holds the shape you want! The Cap is from high Quality and plays in the same class as Stetson, Mayser or Wigens. For me definately not the last Cap of Sterkowski! Now Gentlemen some Photos in detail and some Photos how it looks in action!

Thanks to Barbara Fraczek of Sterkowski for fast shipment and a nice Correspondence.

52c272fc9416571a0ebe32988b2e9ce6.jpg

d584ebb11d95f370cd1a06f503102d04.jpg

0a2878c4638645adc19da7100e0f4301.jpg

4bdd9805c063a68ea4ff6b49c7de5835.jpg
035b5b58b9cae89001ec30f8278b1673.jpg

5f6296b5f123da7a73e59b772a531dbf.jpg
bb02fff6712b956628b690e1a92afa2c.jpg

12cc3008ea8c1c94f762abf73517460a.jpg

49b682eef54b0ec6ce4c92e80d6bc2e3.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Jayessgee

Familiar Face
Just snagged this 'un off ebay a short time ago. Name in it is "The Star Cap." I am bald and the wife likes to keep the house cool so my head gets cold. So this is my house hat. I have a couple of modern knock offs that are ok but lack the character of these older style 'cabbies.' I haven't found out much about this brand but, it seems to be from the 1920s and the moth bites seem to bear the age out. Anyway, I like it.
Top two images are of me and my closest modern copy of the style.
P1050135.JPG P1050130.JPG

These pics are of the vintage cap I referred to above.

0 Dad's caps & hats 003.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 004.jpg 0 Dad's caps & hats 005.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 006.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 007.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 009.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 011.JPG 0 Dad's caps & hats 015.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points