Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Color Brown

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Jovan said:
I own brown nailhead trousers... wish I had a brown nailhead SUIT.

I'm not quite sure why this colour isn't considered "normal" nowadays. And then we've got the people that are convinced brown shoes or suits are for the country only. :rolleyes: I've never heard of such a preposterous rule in my entire life as that.

As it happens, I'm wearing my brown nailhead suit today. Loving it.

The "no brown in town" precept was cited to me by a UK poster at another board -- maybe it's a Brit thing, although the British can wear their browns so well -- think of the vets in All Creatures Great and Small. Since my personal style is founded on a curious blend of loving traditions and hating rules, I'll ignore this one. :)

Pymander

New in Town
I too am a great lover of browns. I've got one brown suit that I adore, and a good variety of odd jackets and trousers in various browns. Brown tweed, especially, is awesome. I've even got a light brown (pale taupe?) striped seersucker suit for summer wear.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I can't think of a business occasion where I wouldn't wear this suit.

Shoes227.jpg

PenMan

Familiar Face
Brown, like wood, brings out good qualities in virtually anything set against it. I am blonde with blue eyes, so I don't wear black or white very much: I have wool suits in tan and dark brown, and a bone-coloured linen one. My favourite jacket is brown tweed, though my camel jacket comes out a lot too. I especially like brown with blue, but the right shades of brown go very well with pink too. If I wear a blue suit or jacket, I'll almost certainly have some shade of brown somewhere in the outfit.

Don't give up on the brown. If you feel dull or uninspired, it isn't the brown--it is what you match it with (unless it really doesn't suit your coloring, which is unlikely).

Tomasso got it exactly right imo, though I couldn't pull off that tie.

Favorite colors.

I am always a fan of blues in clothing but haven't gotten the blue suit yet. I'd like to get a Navy pinstrip DB for that one.

In casual clothing I do like browns and greens in that Khaki earth-tone kinda way. I would like to get a Brown suit at some point, in this a peak lapel single breasted 3 peice would be a definative yes for me.

In the future a linen suit in that creamy white maybe.

Would love a DB tux too.

So much fashion, so little money.

Sincerely,

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In the interest of equal time...

2237085508_a7173a0cbe_m.jpg

"A man who wears a brown suit looks like $#!!."
Charles H. Revson* (1906-75), Canadian-American cosmetics magnate

*"Charles H. Revson was a hard-driven perfectionist whose overbearing, imperious personality led most of his business partners to sever their connections with him by 1965." —Wikipedia entry on Revson

I own and wear rackfuls of brown clothing. %#¢!! you, Mr. Revson.

Fletch said:
2237085508_a7173a0cbe_m.jpg

"A man who wears a brown suit looks like $#!!."
—Charles H. Revson* (1906-75), Canadian-American cosmetics magnate

*"Charles H. Revson was a hard-driven perfectionist whose overbearing, imperious personality led most of his business partners to sever their connections with him by 1965." —Wikipedia entry on Revson

I own and wear rackfuls of brown clothing. %#¢!! you, Mr. Revson.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner