Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

TomSchmitz

New in Town
There's no way that I'm going to attempt to do anything to it myself. That's a sure recipe for disaster!

My preference runs to a lower crown with a brim in the 2 1/2" range.

It is a size 7.

Tom

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Then there are some hatters here and out there that are willing to do the job for you. If you want a lower crown it needs reblocking but I think that would be preferable to get another hat as what "you" are taking from the crown, must go to the brim.
Better for someone else advise you better (bond or John Galt for example).
I'm only trying to save a western ;)

job

One Too Many
I know how you feel Joao. Here in the states westerns are so plentiful, especially larger sizes. I would not like to see a nice vintage Western converted but an average one I'm cool with.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

TomSchmitz

New in Town
Saving a western is understandable. I'm really in a learning process here and trying to figure out options. After all, it's sat in a box for 35 years and there's no rush.

To that end, I've done a bunch of reading and have taken your input to heart. So far I've learned that this, it would seem, is not a simple 'pop the crown to a different shape and re-shape the brim' job. It sounds like it would require complete dis assembly of the hat, shaping, sizing, and putting a new band in.

Maybe I should pass it along to someone who would appreciate it, like my nephew. I got him started with knives; maybe I can get him into wearing a proper hat.

Of course, that would be a fedora ;^), but this hat ain't a bad hat for someone who can carry it off....

Tom

job

One Too Many
That would be nice. My son is 8 and wears a 7 1/2. I wear a 7 5/8. I like westerns because evidently Texans have a lot of big heads so extra large westerns are way easier to find than nice big vintage fedoras.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I know how you feel Joao. Here in the states westerns are so plentiful, especially larger sizes. I would not like to see a nice vintage Western converted but an average one I'm cool with.
Yes I do know.
Don't know how common Stagecoach are (there aren't much of those on ebay) but those are 30 years old hats and no longer made.

Saving a western is understandable. I'm really in a learning process here and trying to figure out options. After all, it's sat in a box for 35 years and there's no rush.
I've been learning with my mistakes in this matter as I do not live in the US and Resistol/Stetson are not a known company in my country, I cannot go to a store and try one, so I try to get different felts with different colors with different creases. For a long time I discarded Stagecoaches because they didn't have beaver fur and only recently I discover how nice (and roomy) they are.

Maybe I should pass it along to someone who would appreciate it, like my nephew. I got him started with knives; maybe I can get him into wearing a proper hat.
As long it doesn't get trashed (don't know your nephew's age)...

That would be nice. My son is 8 and wears a 7 1/2. I wear a 7 5/8. I like westerns because evidently Texans have a lot of big heads so extra large westerns are way easier to find than nice big vintage fedoras.
With 8 years and wears a size 7 1/2!? Now that's a big head, bigger than mine!

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
TomSchmitz,Don't be afraid to convert that hat.I've did a few for myself they make a great fedora.Some distilled water a little steam.work the crown open.Make a bow,sew on a ribbon.Trim the brim,Put in a new crease.It's almost that easy....Well kind of.

John Galt

Vendor
PM me if you want, I'll do it.

Here's Justin's hat, nearly done, needs liner stitched in, sweatband bow & hatband tacked, but close enough to taste & looking pretty good to my eye...

ra7e4e8y.jpg

ezerasej.jpg

ge4u4yqe.jpg

yrusanyq.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow...that looks nice John G. ! Congrats on your hat Justin! John does great work! I think you're really going to like it.

I'm back in possession of the ugly Black Beast again. My Akubra Squatter. I had it traded off to John Galt but he's doing up something real nice for me, so in return, I'm swapping out the ugly beast and giving him a much better hat in return. Not to take away from Akubras, I know they have their loyal following and they're probably pretty decent hats compared to other modern fur felts, but, vintage hats are far better in quality of materials and workmanship.

Anyway, I thought I'd do something to make the Black Beast less ugly. I drew some inspiration from Johnny Depp's "Public Enemies" hat, with a few of my own touches. I recreased the thing with a Center Dent and sewed on a wide Burgandy ribbon. I also hid the stiches on my bow work. All I have left to do now is to cut the brim down. I may go 2 1/2 inches wide on the brim, although Depp's Dillinger hat looks to be a little less than that....

Black_Beast_01.jpg

Black_Beast_02.jpg

Black_Beast_03.jpg

Hidden stitches on the bow work...

Black_Beast_07.jpg

Black_Beast_08.jpg

Dillinger_Depp_02.jpg

Black_Beast_09.jpg

Dillinger_Depp.jpg

picture below is a mirror image...bow is actually on the left side

Black_Beast_06.jpg

Black_Beast_05.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Good God Man, don't you EVER smile?!!!

Fantastic hat by the way, the proportions are absolutely perfect.

Ha! I guess if I turned the picture upside down I'd show a smile there somewhere! :D

Thanks for the comment on the hat. I still have to take a 1/2 inch off the brim yet.

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks fellas, I'll finish the little stuff tonight (maybe at lunch) and get it off to our patient patriot.

TJ: "I like it! I like it a lot!" Your skills are increasing at breakneck speed. Better get a shingle...

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Justin's hat looks nice.

I'm back in possession of the ugly Black Beast again. My Akubra Squatter. I had it traded off to John Galt but he's doing up something real nice for me, so in return, I'm swapping out the ugly beast and giving him a much better hat in return. Not to take away from Akubras, I know they have their loyal following and they're probably pretty decent hats compared to other modern fur felts, but, vintage hats are far better in quality of materials and workmanship.
Hidden stitches on the bow work...

[
Black_Beast_06.jpg

Why do you buy black hats if you don't like them? This picture almost tells me the brim is perfect but it's your call. Good choice on the burgandy ribbon and nice work (but I wouldn't send you a hat to change ;)).
I think I want a black hat with a ribbon of that color.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hercule, DOGMAN, John Galt, Joao, Kingrat, thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

John G. Ha! Thanks buddy. I have a little way to go yet before I hang my shingle out! :D

Joao, When I bought that Akubra from a bidding site I thought I was getting a grey hat. The pictures they posted were poor quality and didn't show the true color. I would never have bought it otherwise. The black Stagecoach was such a bargain I couldn't pass it up. Even if it was Black. Hey. You should send me one of your 4 + inches wide brimmed Westerns for me to convert for you. I could make you a real nice stingy brim fedora! ;) You should try a fedora and see how one looks on you. I think an Indyish type would suit you pretty well.

Kingrat, hey man! Good to see you back! I'll give you a call soon.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao, When I bought that Akubra from a bidding site I thought I was getting a grey hat. The pictures they posted were poor quality and didn't show the true color. I would never have bought it otherwise. The black Stagecoach was such a bargain I couldn't pass it up. Even if it was Black. Hey. You should send me one of your 4 + inches wide brimmed Westerns for me to convert for you. I could make you a real nice stingy brim fedora! ;) You should try a fedora and see how one looks on you. I think an Indyish type would suit you pretty well.
No, I would not want a stingy Tom Mix. What I have spent in shipping cost would have allowed me to visit the US 2 times... If you really want to make me a fedora, send me the black stagecoach you... "killed". It had a +4" brim and is now converted so no need to... "kill" another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24