Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

fedoracentric

Banned
Finished Justin's hat. I'll put it in the mail today, Splintz!

usyzy4e2.jpg
What sort of hat is that? Is it a soft felt?

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice work guys! Here's a dress wt beaver I just completed. The inspiration for this one is the hat that's on the back of the Mens Hats book Il Capello Da Uomo by Adele Campione. I liked the style and upturned brim and the camel color is more of a color I can wear VS a darker color and I've been wanting to use this ribbon that I had a few pieces left of. Also Iam really liking the vented sweat in this weather. Liner is silk in Olive drab.

John Galt

Vendor
What sort of hat is that? Is it a soft felt?

Yes, it's an early 20th century C&K (Knapp-felt, I think, but no proof), soft felt. I left it open crowned at Justin's request, and punched his initials in it. I found it at an antique store in Monterey in bad shape & dirty, with no sweat, but sound. I posted it & Justin contacted me. I agreed to do the work & sell him the finished hat. I took my time because it is a special hat, and he was quite patient.

It's funny, actually. Re-blocking & re-flanging didn't really change it at all (except to remove the wrinkles & creases) because the block & flange matched the originals so well.

Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for comments all. Not sure what color the ribbon is , kind of orange/rust , I washed the starch out and wanted to lighten the color some from its original newness so it is a shade lighter than original .

DOGMAN

One Too Many
My 17th conversion.This one is a Stetson 4x brown hat size 7 3/8.Open crown 6 1/4",now as creased front 4 3/4",back 4 1/8",highest point on the sides is 5".The ribbon is 1 1/2" dark brown,with a frayed edge bow.Brim was 3 1/2",now 2!/2".I put in. one of my handmade Hot Rod liners. http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/gokutdog/may2014014_zpscec04d6e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thank you,T Jones.1mach1,I make the liners.The sides are satin and the top is a printed fabric.I've made some pin-up liners, a couple dog print liners and the Hot Rod also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24