Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

John Galt

Vendor
Not retiring. Busy lawyering and am somewhat on the "down low" here. Appreciate your concern. PM sent. Will follow up today with Ideaguy & 1Mach1.

John Galt

Vendor
Saw some wool flop hats yesterday at Forever 21 when I walked through to get my watch battery replaced. Pretty thin, pretty good hand for wool, in various colors, and only $10. Pretty easy to make a hat from, if anyone here needs cheap bodies. I passed, but was tempted...

Was in a local antique shop today, and thought for a minute I might be about to buy my first boater, but then I got closer and saw that it was a "conversion".
4e52e7597b6f67ded7a3615ce00a2e27.jpg

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After several renditions of ribbons this one finally ended up like this at the request of new owner. Also added wind cord from a recent acquisition of them. (Last pic is final version)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Who is John Galt? Here's a conversion that John G. did for me. This '50s nutria used to be a Western. The hat also belonged to John, but he gave it to me. It started out as a size 7 and is now a 7 1/8 LO. The felt is great and it took a dry crease very well. A little steam for the finishing touches and I have a real nice Center Dent! The over all height of the crown is nearly 5 inches tall, as creased, 4 1/2 inches at the pinch and sloping to 4 inches at the back. The medium brown ribbon is an 1 1/2 wide with a double bow, the stitching is hidden on the bow work. I'm going to change out the ribbon though to a darker brown ribbon of the same 1 1/2 width. The hat is awesome! John Galt worked some real magic on this one! I'm very happy with it....

Before:

photo_1.jpg

After John's magic:

Nutria_1.jpg

Nutria_2.jpg

My_new_Nutria.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Terry!

The crease & bow work are all you, my friend, and it looks very good! Welcome to the Nutriaphile crowd!

You did a great job on the hat John. I'm really happy with it buddy. Thanks again, and thanks for the warm welcome to the Nutriaphile Club!

John does great work Harv. You'll definitely be happy with the results.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
kingrat, RJR, Joao, DOGMAN, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. John Galt did a real nice job converting it. He sent it to me open crowned which gave me the option to crease it any way I wish. That's just the way I like it. The Nutria felt is awesome. It's my first. It seems really resilient. I'd definitely like to have more Nutrias.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I switched out the ribbon on my John Galt Nutria conversion, (I didn't care much for the other ribbon I put on it because of the shine it had). I spent a few hours getting everything just right. The ribbon was nice and tight around the hat. The stitching on the bow work was tucked away nicely and hidden. Then, DANG IT! I grabbed the wrong color ribbon to do the bow with! Under the light I was working the ribbon looked the same color, until I took it outside and under other lighting. D*MN! I gotta take that thing back off and redo it again! Weekend project!

The_Nutria_04.jpg

The_Nutria_02.jpg

The_Nutria_01.jpg

The_Nutria_03.jpg

Oh well. Aside from my mistake, which I'll change out this weekend, I love the profile on this hat. John Galt did a great job converting it. He's just as good at refurbing and converting hats as any of the other hatters, except he's a lot easier on the wallet.

Attachments

• The_Nutria_02.jpg
    The_Nutria_02.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael