Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great work by Josh! Garrett, can we see a before pic of the hat?

thanks
B

Sorry Bill, the original auction photos are long gone. Our own member, Nolanf was the original owner. Perhaps he can chime in with the originals.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
On-going Knox 15 project

I picked up a nice Knox 15 at a flea market a while back for a song. The hat had a 3" bound brim that just made the hat feel like an awning over my 5'5" frame although I loved the fact that it had a 5 1/2" open crown. I decided to trim the brim down to 2 3/8" and keep the center dent bash to try to give it a 30's ish look. I used a compass and a tailor's chalk pencil to mark the trim line and a rotary cutter to do the trim which reduced the amount of sanding I had to do. Currently working in a tighter pinch. Sides of the crown remain at the 5 1/2" height.

I thought I would keep the thin ribbon, but I realized this morning that I am just not a fan of thin ribbons so I will be replacing it with a wider ribbon (open to color suggestions).

BEFORE:

knox3.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_0775.jpg

Looks nice HeyMoe. Great color hat. A copper or bronze color ribbon would make that hat scream, or some shade of gold, but I'd probably end up with plain black if it were mine, just to make it more wearable with different stuff.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Looks nice HeyMoe. Great color hat. A copper or bronze color ribbon would make that hat scream, or some shade of gold, but I'd probably end up with plain black if it were mine, just to make it more wearable with different stuff.

I think I am going to end up with just plain black or dark brown. Boring but it will allow me to wear the hat more often so it can be in my regular cycle. If the hat were lighter I think it would lend itself to some more color options.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I picked up a nice Knox 15 at a flea market a while back for a song. The hat had a 3" bound brim that just made the hat feel like an awning over my 5'5" frame although I loved the fact that it had a 5 1/2" open crown. I decided to trim the brim down to 2 3/8" and keep the center dent bash to try to give it a 30's ish look. I used a compass and a tailor's chalk pencil to mark the trim line and a rotary cutter to do the trim which reduced the amount of sanding I had to do. Currently working in a tighter pinch. Sides of the crown remain at the 5 1/2" height.

I thought I would keep the thin ribbon, but I realized this morning that I am just not a fan of thin ribbons so I will be replacing it with a wider ribbon (open to color suggestions).

BEFORE:

View attachment 18468

AFTER:

View attachment 18469

UPDATE: I could not find any good ribbon locally so I harvested a ribbon of a 30's vintage project hat that I have. On the old hat the ribbon looked greenish brown, on the new hat, it is obviously green. Unfortunately the ribbon was shorter as the vintage hat is a smaller lid so I was not able to use the pleated style ribbon that it came with and had to convert it into a standard bow. In doing this I was not able to get enough ribbon to make the bow "tie/knot" so I mixed it in with tan and dark brown leaving the green section in the middle.

IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's a 70's/80's Resistol 3X conversion that I just finished. I have converted it a couple of times, but I am finally satisfied with the final product.

I wanted to give it a 1900's western dress hat look with a thin ribbon. I blocked it with a Graeco block which is straighter than any block I have ever seen. I would venture to say its even straighter than a Columbia block. Pounced that thick western felt WAY down to a lighter dress weight. (that eliminated any felt spidering as well) I sanded the inside of the crown and added a leather sweatband which I had done some work to. Lastly, I added an old school thin ribbon which I used from original 40's/50's ribbon stock that I bought.

It originally looked like this.....

It had a tall but ROUND crown, thick and rough pounced felt, and was loaded with shellac. It also had a really uncomfortable fake leather sweatband.

Shortly after purchasing the hat, I changed the ribbon, gave it a more natural crease with side dents, and changed the brim shape slightly......

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
cont......

After about 6 months, I decided I wanted a fedora....so I chopped the brim to 2 1/2 inches wide, gave the crown a fedora crease, but left the crumby sweatband and rough original pouncing.

I wore the hat, but I never liked the way the felt looked or felt. It was also still very heavy and the sweatband was very uncomfortable to wear. I decided it needed a total redo....so I took the hat apart, hand sanded everything down with multiple grits of sandpaper. I went from 80 grit, then 100 grit, 220 grit, 400 grit, then finally 600 grit. I must have sanded off half its felt and weight. Now the felt is smooth as silk and very easily shaped with no spidering. Reblocked the body, flanged it, added a custom sweatband, and tacked on a ribbon/bow.

I finally love this hat and will leave it just like this from now on. It finally comfortable to wear.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Look at you all brim up!... love the old school ribbon bow. You are a talented hat whisperer, my friend.

+1
Magnificent!

B

Thanks Alan & Bill!! :yo:

I love wearing this one as a brim up! I have another conversion on the block right now that I will be posting in the next week or so. Its a off-white longhair which I gave a very deep cupped flange and tall straight crown. It looks like something from the 1915-1918 period. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari