Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a beauty that I just refurbished for another lounger who has an impressive collection to say the least. This is a Dobbs Twenty that has a 3 1/4 brim with a nicely done felted edge . The felt on this hat is some of the densest I have come across with out being thick yet it is still very pliable . Also the tawny color is not so common either and has weathered nicely over time .There was a slight fade line from old ribbon so I put a 1 7/8 ribbon on with new sweat and of course made a custom burgundy silk liner as the original was shot. The 7 3/8 Size sticker with block info still intact.

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Conversion number 20.A Resistol BR 20.Open crown 6 1/2",now as creased front 4 3/4",Back 4 1/4",highest point on sides 5 1/8".Brim was 3 1/2",trimmed to 2 3/4".Ribbon 1 1/2" black.Added one of my custom liners.Hand shaped the brim,with swoop front and back

Thundercolt

One of the Regulars
Looks doggone familiar!

100_0035_2_zpspjse92io.jpg
I was looking at the beautiful work you did converting that old hat and when I saw your last photo I had to make sure that my dog hadn't run away. I guess you have good taste in more than just hats.
By the way, I'm a dog "handler" too!

Conversion number 20.A Resistol BR 20.Open crown 6 1/2",now as creased front 4 3/4",Back 4 1/4",highest point on sides 5 1/8".Brim was 3 1/2",trimmed to 2 3/4".Ribbon 1 1/2" black.Added one of my custom liners.Hand shaped the brim,with swoop front and back

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

A couple of weeks ago I went to the local flea market for my usual treasure hunting. I got to talking hats with a vendor who was a rather grizzled-looking gent with a thick Australian accent who was wearing the most beat up, thrashed, and darn near worn-out Akubra I have ever seen. One word to describe it would be awesome. Turns out it is a Bushmaster that he has been abusing for 20 years or so. Exactly the kind of hat you would expect to see on the head of a grizzled Aussie flea mzrket vendor.
Anyhoo, as we talked hats, he pulled out a Resistol 4X beaver western he had not put out on his table yet. It was a size 6 7/8, and the Aussie man said he had shaped it to how it was when he handed it to me. I didn'r get pics of the before, so I'lo describe it. 4 inch brim, flat as a board with the back bent up as if it were a snap brim. 3 3/4 inch high crown made into a rather ridiculous looking rectangular telescope. Blue jay feather stuck into the band. I resisted the urge to ask if this was how Australian pimps wore their lids whilst hustling their 'roos in the Outback...
Turns out he only wanted 5 dollars for it, so I figured I'd get it, straighten it out and give it to my niece ( she still loves cowgirl stuff even after falling off a horse and giving up riding lessons) but when I got home and started working on it I found out that the crown was actually a full 6 inches crammed down into that telescope, and the compression hid the fact that the hat had been hat-jacked out to about 7 1/4 from the original 6 7/8, leaving a very prominent bulge where the sweatband had been pushed out. So, out came the knife, hat was disassembled and I stretched it over my 23.5 inch block to see if it would work. I was pleased to find it went on easily, and after drying, remained at the larger size. A lot of work later (it took me 4 times to get the sweatband back in somewhat straight, and 3 tines to get the brim binding right) , I now have what I believe will pass for a homburg.
Before conversion:
e80b3f0482cf948220c9abf26f123bf0.jpg

3178927b5b58faa18ddae20451cf0006.jpg

After:
92cd5ff5d4a51f52426bd9b1478bf7d8.jpg

I apologize for the bad light in the after pic. I wore it out today, and got quite a few compliments on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran