Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I saw someone else do a conversion on a silverbelly campdraft and I really liked it so I splashed out and went for it!
IMG_0173_zpsejed3nbn.jpg
My second attempt at a ribbon and bow, my first being about an hour before on my new Fed IV!
IMG_0178_zpsttmnpa69.jpg
I'm pleased with it :p

I trimmed the brim down to 60mm too to give it more of a city and less of a country vibe.
It's not perfect, but I'm really made up with it and it is my favourite colour combo.

I doubt a ribbon swap counts as a conversion, but I'll post a pic too just for completion.
IMG_0170_zpsi5xpytmn.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0174_zps4avntwb8.jpg
    IMG_0174_zps4avntwb8.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 137

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Here's my attempt at a conversion.

I purchased the Fedora Loung Bluegrass Green Campdraft from this thread. Although in pretty good overall condition, the crown was a bit messed up as you can see from the photos. It had been teardrop creased then most recently cattleman's. I tried to open the crown but it was just fighting it all the way even with steam and spray. I figured it might need a reblocking, which would not be justified in my mind. And so I set to work.

Using a combination of steam, spray, my wife's iron, and a variety of improvised pads and tools, I turned it into a telescope crown. Still playing with the crown and the finish needs sanding, but overall it turned out pretty well. Comments? Advice? I think I might change the ribbon though. Maybe a braided leather piece.

John Galt

Vendor
Here's my attempt at a conversion.

I purchased the Fedora Loung Bluegrass Green Campdraft from this thread. Although in pretty good overall condition, the crown was a bit messed up as you can see from the photos. It had been teardrop creased then most recently cattleman's. I tried to open the crown but it was just fighting it all the way even with steam and spray. I figured it might need a reblocking, which would not be justified in my mind. And so I set to work.

Using a combination of steam, spray, my wife's iron, and a variety of improvised pads and tools, I turned it into a telescope crown. Still playing with the crown and the finish needs sanding, but overall it turned out pretty well. Comments? Advice? I think I might change the ribbon though. Maybe a braided leather piece.

Turned out well! The easiest way to make a telescope is to push the steamed or wetted crown down onto a flat surface then flatten the part that sticks up inside the crown from the center out with a small iron or the bottom of a drinking glass, etc. this is described in Ermatinger's book. You can make it really crisp, or leave a rounded bowl - whichever suits.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the comments guys. This one I just finished is from a Czech Republic fur felt of rabbit I guess, it's a light blue/grey color. I added a navy crown ribbon with a blue/grey binding. Sweat is un finished sheepskin that I vented and liner is navy in Silk . Brim is about 2 7/8 and my current comfort zone of sorts as far as brims go.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR