Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I have my eye on a beautiful Stetson No.1 Quality cattleman's crease and I was wondering if you guys would convert a No.1 quality hat or if it's too good of a hat to touch? Would you guys cut it or leave it alone?

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Thanks,bond.You know humanshoes I think you are probably correct.The hat just seems much more happy as a fedora.About that No.1 quality,do with it what you will.If you would wear it more converted then do it.I will say I have a 50's 7X clear beaver with the box that I got to convert.I decided not to.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
D-MAN, that is one nice conversion! I like that!

Here's a Western hat conversion I did that I wasn't too awfully satisfied with the first time around. I wanted the crown to be a bit straighter with a Center Dent and tighter pinch. I also flanged the brim to make it more fedora like. I'll put a thin ribbon back on it once the hat dries. Not sure what style of thin ribbon I'll do yet...hat still drying

Western_Fedora_5.jpg

Western_Fedora_1.jpg

Western_Fedora_2.jpg

Western_Fedora_3.jpg

Western_Fedora_4.jpg

Some Rock A Billy with Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps

I have my eye on a beautiful Stetson No.1 Quality cattleman's crease and I was wondering if you guys would convert a No.1 quality hat or if it's too good of a hat to touch? Would you guys cut it or leave it alone?
You buy it = you own it. Do with it as you like. I'm not a hat historian or collector. I'm a hat wearer. If I buy one, I'm going to do what I want to it so I'll wear it. If not, why bother?

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I have every intent on wearing the hat. I guess I was just asking if it they are an especially valuable or collectible. I'm thinking of converting it to a Open Road clone (minus the ribbon edge).

I have every intent on wearing the hat. I guess I was just asking if it they are an especially valuable or collectible. I'm thinking of converting it to a Open Road clone (minus the ribbon edge).
If you'll wear it in the original state, then don't convert it. Is it more valuable to you as is or as a felt body to make something even more valuable to you?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I was just asking if it they are an especially valuable or collectible. I'm thinking of converting it to a Open Road clone (minus the ribbon edge).
It depends on the person.
For me any hat that got it's brim trimmed for less than 3" brim looses all the value so they became a hat with no value for me, being vintage or modern and I "classify" them as a loss.
For others a hat with a brim bigger than 2.5" brim have no value and convert them to something that is more valuable for them.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
What's the hat look like? Do you have a picture of it? I like both Westerns and Fedoras. When I get a Western that has a tapered up crown and a taco brim, I reblock and recrease the crown to make it straighter and I reshape the brim so it doesn't rise up so high on the sides. If I like it after I put it on, I leave it Western. If I don't, I convert it to a Fedora.

Resistol 3X Before:
Resistol_3_X_C.jpg

Resistol 3X After: with a Diamond crease that I'm not particularly fond of. But, it worked in this case.
XXX7.jpg

XXX5.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach: that I reworked and left Western
RSCB_3.jpg

RSCB_4.jpg

Here's a Stetson Nutria that my good friend, John Galt, converted from a Western and gave to me. (The brim had some issues, hence the conversion to save it)...

Before:
photo_1.jpg

After:
A_My_Nutria_02.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach conversion:
Stagecoach_Indy_1_B.jpg

Another Resistol Stagecoach conversion:
Resistol_Black_3_RC.jpg

Another Resistol Stagecoach that I left Western after reworking it and changing out the ribbon:
Stagecoach_R_11.jpg

I'm currently reworking another conversion.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Back to the sewing board... I changed out the ribbon on my most recent rework of an older conversion. I went with a darker thin ribbon and added a Campaign style bow.

As it looked when I originally bought it.

X_Unknown_Western_2.jpg

After the conversion:
The stitching is hidden on the bow work...
Western_unkown_14.jpg

Western_unkown_20.jpg

Western_unkown_17.jpg

Western_unkown_18.jpg

Before: the ribbon I switched out
Western_unknown_12.jpg

Some Honky Tonk from Hank Locklin

Last edited:

RJR

Back to the sewing board... I changed out the ribbon on my most recent rework of an older conversion. I went with a darker thin ribbon and added a Campaign style bow.

The stitching is hidden on the bow work...
Western_unkown_14.jpg

Western_unkown_20.jpg

Western_unkown_17.jpg

Western_unkown_18.jpg

Before: the ribbon I switched out
Western_unknown_12.jpg

Some Honky Tonk from Hank Locklin
I really like that Campaign Hat bow and the color contrast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou