Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Sounds right. It was the first one you did with the Charlie crease that we were discussing.
I really like that crease for a Western. It's been around in older Western movies for a while. It was always a favorite of mine, and then I really started liking it more after watching Open Range. I did a little more tweaking on the crease since those previous pictures. As far as the hat I just finished, I wasn't sure if I was going to go with that crease or not. But, I decided to go with it and I tightened up the pinch. I'll post some more pictures of it later.

3205262.jpg
Henry_Fonda_1.png

John_Wayne_Liberty_3.jpg

John_Wayne_Liberty_1.jpg

John_Wayne_1.png

81_C_ZUurvy_L._SL1500.jpg
MYDARLING3.jpg

IMG_20180407_205412190.jpg
IMG_20180407_205759002.jpg

Screenshot_20180328-190208.png
Open_Range_Costner.jpg

Last edited:

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Thank you, Redshoes. I liked the Charlie Waite hat so much that it has become my favorite crease for a Western but with a fuller looking brim curl. I did a Silverbelly 3X Resistol with that same crease a few pages back.

I'm not sure what it is about that hat style... but I'm with you... everything about that hat just rocks... the crease... the brim... everything.

I had pretty much broke myself of spending too much money on guitars... now it's hats.

HAH!!

~shoes~

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure what it is about that hat style... but I'm with you... everything about that hat just rocks... the crease... the brim... everything.

I had pretty much broke myself of spending too much money on guitars... now it's hats.

HAH!!

~shoes~
Definitely. Yes. I tried other creases, cattleman, Gus, center dent, Montana Peak,...but I just can't get away from this Charlie Waite / Montana Pinch crease. Just like I can't get away from Tear Drop creases for my fedoras. The brim curl I use is more similar to the Selleck Down Under hat. I like the fuller look of that brim style over the "squeezed" in look of the Charlie Waite brim. But yeah, like you, I really like this crease for a Western.

Ha! I know what you mean there, buddy. For me, it was high performance parts for my truck. Now it's hats!

Hello all;

Alan posted a photo today of a long hair hat they I really dig. My question is do you think I could turn this Stetson western into something close to Alan’s hat?

The goal:
420bd21da8e211a948d95fad9eb3f8be.jpg

(I know it’s weird cropping his face out, but it’s also kind of weird leaving it there. No offense intended.)

The donor Stetson:

d3b07f7fa0ecb8393cbc3c3cbc330c6e.jpg

78d30c5e4ebd19866d46d95f85361b0a.jpg

6011acb23f0e8ca8507257979457826c.jpg

Thanks, Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJR

Hello all;

Alan posted a photo today of a long hair hat they I really dig. My question is do you think I could turn this Stetson western into something close to Alan’s hat?

The goal:
420bd21da8e211a948d95fad9eb3f8be.jpg

(I know it’s weird cropping his face out, but it’s also kind of weird leaving it there. No offense intended.)

The donor Stetson:

d3b07f7fa0ecb8393cbc3c3cbc330c6e.jpg

78d30c5e4ebd19866d46d95f85361b0a.jpg

6011acb23f0e8ca8507257979457826c.jpg

Thanks, Brent

It certainly looks like it would work.

I, too, thinks it's doable. I'll be curious to see how yours turns out. I have a gray long hair Stetson that's destined for the same treatment.

Funny you should say that Rick. I was thinking of sending it to you for the conversion. I might get the courage to try it myself, but my skills are minimal and I’ve already ruined a few hats.

Good candidate for conversion I think. Did a similar one years ago and it's still one of my favorite "beater" hats. View attachment 118416 View attachment 118417

Thanks Rick. I understand why the western fans say to leave it as it is or just shape it differently. For me, it would barely get any wear as a western. I like how they look, but I just don’t like how they look on me.

Your conversion looks great! I’ll give it some thought, but that’s the way I’m leaning.

Brent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR