Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I was holding off on doing conversions and refurbs for a while until I received some more hat tools that I ordered. But, I decided to go ahead and try and finish up this black Borsalino with what I have, ( besides, the wife has me busy tearing out a bathroom for a remodel). I blocked this one up two sizes to a 7 1/4 and I'll be doing a matching 3/8 thin ribbon with an OR style bow, something similar to the hat that Mike Mazurki wore in, "Murder My Sweet"...
Borsa-III-A.jpg

Mike-Mazurki-MYS.gif

Last edited:
I was holding off on doing conversions and refurbs for a while until I received some more hat tools that I ordered. But, I decided to go ahead and try and finish up this black Borsalino with what I have, ( besides, the wife has me busy tearing out a bathroom for a remodel). I blocked this one up two sizes to a 7 1/4 and I'll be doing a matching 3/8 thin ribbon with an OR style bow, something similar to the hat that Mike Mazurki wore in, "Murder My Sweet"...
Borsa-III-A.jpg

Mike-Mazurki-MYS.gif

Nice, Terry. Is is basically going to be an Alessandria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Terry. Is is basically going to be an Alessandria?

Thanks buddy. Yes. That's what I had in mind, something close to that. It's almost finished. The sweat's sewn in, the crown's creased, and the brim's flanged. Just gotta put the ribbon and bow on and it'll be good to go.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here’s a little number I tried to whip out of an old Winchester beaver body and the inspiration from my very first Borsalino xx I owned briefly. Ended up making a comfortable short brim with an elliptical shaped brim for a light weight summer weather camping hat. Brim is 2 1/2 at front /back and 2 3/8 at sides which suits the long oval shape well. I opted for a 3/8 block instead of my normal 1/2 size and put a tighter crown shape into the 5 3/4 crown ht. and exaggerated a long oval shape. Color of the felt I believe is called Pecan and the boss ribbon is called Muffalatto , a color Borsalino liked to use.
Wanted to go with a casual playboyesque type ribbon and added a fray ribbon end.
Also forgot to mention that when I washed the felt I flipped the pounced side to interior and that is my finished lining in lieu of a liner with the unfinished side out now.
Enjoy
View attachment 178880
76101ba007c90a1282dfc0f68fbc7c7d.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

IMG_7087.jpg

bb4c5e4735f10ee5a8d4de71eebb74ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Down to the wire on this black Borsalino reblock and make over. My ribbon and bow's made up and is ready to be put together. This one's going to be a matching 3/8 thin ribbon, similar to an Alessandria but with more of an OR style to the bow work. Gotta give my back a break before I sit down again to sew everything together....

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

The hat is actually much darker than is pictured.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Down to the wire on this black Borsalino reblock and make over. My ribbon and bow's made up and is ready to be put together. This one's going to be a matching 3/8 thin ribbon, similar to an Alessandria but with more of an OR style to the bow work. Gotta give my back a break before I sit down again to sew everything together....

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

The hat is actually much darker than is pictured.
Looking really good, Terry.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
EDIT:

This is more to the actual color of the hat...
Borsa-III-3-A.jpg
It's so hard to get hat colours right in photos. Whatever the shade of colour of yours Terry, it is a fabulous looking hat, and again, a testament to your craftsmanship. I'm particularly drawn to, what I call, the American rake of the crown. For me, it's one of the touches that differentiate vintage European hats from US ones.

I appreciate them both, but would like more US rakes in my collection.

Cudos again, Terry. Great work.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It's so hard to get hat colours right in photos. Whatever the shade of colour of yours Terry, it is a fabulous looking hat, and again, a testament to your craftsmanship. I'm particularly drawn to, what I call, the American rake of the crown. For me, it's one of the touches that differentiate vintage European hats from US ones.

I appreciate them both, but would like more US rakes in my collection.

Cudos again, Terry. Great work.

Thank you Steve. Much appreciated. I finally finished up the ribbon work. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
Speaking of rake, I creased this one to 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in the back.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Steve. Much appreciated. I finally finished up the ribbon work. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
Speaking of rake, I creased this one to 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in the back.
Sounds awesome, Terry.

Looking forward to seeing the photos of the finished product.

I've no doubt it will be another "me want" hat [emoji4]

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I finally finished this Borsalino and as I already said, I went with a black 3/8 thin ribbon with an OR / Strat type bow.

The specs on this one...
1. 5 3/4 open crown
2. The crown is creased to my preferred Teardrop that is 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches to the back.
3. The snap brim is 3 inches wide.
4. It's been reblocked from its original size 7 to a 7 1/4 to fit me.

I'll have more in the WHAYWT thread and also in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

Borsalino-III-and-Dodge-2-A.jpg

Borsalino-III-and-Dodge-3-A.jpg

Borsalino-III-and-Dodge-7-A.jpg

I tried to get some pictures of the front but the color is hard to photograph under certain light...

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I finally finished this Borsalino and as I already said, I went with a black 3/8 thin ribbon with an OR / Strat type bow.

The specs on this one...
1. 5 3/4 open crown
2. The crown is creased to my preferred Teardrop that is 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches to the back.

I'll have more in the WHAYWT thread and also in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

I tried to get some pictures of the front but the color is hard to photograph under certain light...
Fantastic looking now new vintage Borsalino, Terry. Beautiful finish. My [emoji145] is off to you, sir. Cudos.

The specs on this one...
1. 5 3/4 open crown

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

That hat looks great, Terry. I’m having VS make me up one just like it. I need to get you a block and flange in my size!

The specs on this one...
1. 5 3/4 open crown

Borsa-III-A.jpg

Borsa-III-2-A.jpg

Another great makeover, Terry. It is a style Borsalino themselves don't do enough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo