The Conversion Corral

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Davidson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

I wasn't going to say anything, but you are right on point @milandro . There's no one for miles who could even pretend to know how to work on a hat, western or else. Which is a sad thing to say living in Texas. Luckily, we have a shoe repair place here that has been in the same family for over 100 years and they do great work, but I'm well aware they is a rare luxury these days. I've had to learn how to do things myself if I want to get the hats I want. Since I'm a guy with a 7 5/8 LO and pointed head, finding a high crowned fedora is almost impossible. Therefore, I'm having to convert any western I can find that fits. The only thing I have yet to tackle is sewing a sweatband. I guess I'll have to continue on my search for a good set of instructions. Until I see you again, thank you for your help.

2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I don’t have anyone local. I’ve been sending most of my hat work to Art Fawcett at VS, and that’s almost 700km from me. I ship them and Art ships them back.

I recently tried a more local hatter and was very disappointed in the quality of her work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. milandro

milandro One of the Regulars

I have seen some videos and I’ve shown them to my wife (which stitched my only sweatband replacement) .

I think this was the video in question. Watch it all but the relevant part starts at 12’. The sweatband gets first basted ( by hand) and then sewn (with a machine)

4. J Williams

J Williams A-List Customer

@bond here on the lounge or finevintagefedoras on etsy sells pre-sewn sweatbands to your size specifications. Just have to tack them into the hat. They are very nice and reasonably priced. I can’t see shipping being that crazy maybe for you @milandro but certainly not to Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Steve1857

Steve1857 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Terry, you truly are the conversation king. You always do a great and thorough job. I always end up thinking, how did he do that? Take one, nice looking hat and turn it into a stunner? A mystery to most of us. An art form to you. Cudos, friend.
    Hope your wife and your back are feeling better.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

T Jones, Rmccamey and jlee562 like this.
  6. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

Yea, I've already contacted him. Once I learn how to sew in the sweats, I'll be ordering some from him.

7. For some reason this reminded me of a 1935 Stetson Catalog ad I ran across when searching "Arminto" styles.

Steston_San_Anal.JPG

Not sure I want to "get the service" ... :eek:

steur, TheOldFashioned and jlee562 like this.
  8. Steve1857

Milandro, I grew up with that cheesy comedy show back in the 70s in the UK. Thanks for bringing back the memories [emoji4]

9. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you Steve! I really appreciate that. I'm just finishing up another one that I'll be posting here in the Conversion Corral in the next day or so. This one took me a little while to do because of some back issues. I'll probably be taking several weeks off from doing more conversions until it gets better. It's back into PT again.

Steve1857 likes this.
  10. Steve1857

Sorry to hear about the back issues, Terry. Hope the treatment helps.

T Jones likes this.
  11. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you Steve. This will make my third round of PT.

Steve1857 likes this.
  12. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

I finally finished up a project that took me a while to get through. Back issues are going to have me sidelined for several weeks so this will be the last conversion I do until I finish PT again. Anyway, this started out as a too small size 7 Bark Brown Resistol Stagecoach that I blocked up to a size 7 1/4 and converted. I reused the original liner and sweat bow. Here's the specs on it:

Crown:
    1. Open - a very straight sided 5 3/4 inches tall.
    2. As creased - teardrop crease with a high and tight pinch at 4 3/4 inches with a rake sloping back to 4 1/4 inches. Overall crown height, as creased, is a tall and vertical 5 inches.
    3. Longhair finish.

Ribbon:
    The ribbon work is black at 1 1/2 wide.

Brim:
    The brim is raw edge at 2 3/4 inches wide and was flanged on a #19 brim flange.

Sweat Band:
    New

Before:
    [​IMG]

On the block:
    [​IMG]

Brim cut to size with my handy dandy Rick Walker brim cutter @ 2 3/4 inches. Also used my handy dandy Rockwater band block for the cut:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  13. Steve1857

Wow, Terry! You've breathed new life into that Resistol. Looks so cool.

T Jones likes this.
  14. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you Steve!

Steve1857 likes this.
  15. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Another damn fine conversion Terry. Nobody does it better.

T Jones and Steve1857 like this.
  16. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you Rick! I couldn't have done it without my handy dandy Rick Walker brim cutter! I love that tool!

Hat and Rehat and Steve1857 like this.
  17. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Glad it's still serving you well T.

T Jones likes this.
  18. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

You’re too good to be sidelined T.
    Hoping you get back in the game quickly!

T Jones likes this.
  19. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Thank you buddy. As soon as I get through all of this I'll be right back on my conversions!

Rockwater likes this.
  20. Hat and Rehat

Hat and Rehat Call Me a Cab

Hello Milandro,
    Can I ask where those drawings came from? I'm a woodworker, of sorts, a residential carpenter. A furniture maker's skill set is probably a better fit for making these things, but I have taken on the challenge. I have two flange projects underway right now. I've been unable to find a source of design drawings like that, so have been trying to borrow from the two vintage flanges I own, and also do some designing of my own. what you shared would make my life much easier.