Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Well, in my opinion, Terry is the best resident FL hat restoration expert.
(At least, that I know of, in my short time as a member)
In my year and 4 months here he’s given me inspiration and a healthy goal to reach for.
Been looking for a Stephen L. Stetson for a while when, a week ago, I found this one.
ECA4BEF4-853F-4463-A503-AD4E55A9876A.jpeg
It was an aged homburg that needed either serious restoration or a serious restoration and a reimagined look. Since I own many very nice homburgs in every color I went with the latter.
39A5E304-0A21-42AB-A0DC-B05F64714630.jpeg
31473917-20FD-4416-B0B5-042DB766188C.jpeg

The reedless sweatband was coming unattached, dry and cracking, so I took it on out. All the cracks were around the old stitching holes and though I tried it wasn’t letting me use the original holes, so, reluctantly, I decided the best thing to do was to cut off the holes which meant taking off about a 3/16”.
I poked new holes with a needle then stitched it back in. It doesn’t look so great, I know, but at least I was able to reuse this fragile, but all too important original sweatband.
76995388-1C84-455C-BBDF-C19BE55EAC6C.jpeg

Stefan, @steur brought a bow keep style to my attention when he made a comment that this particular bow keep was his favorite. I liked it too, but didn’t think I could figure out how to pull it off.
Well I did, but I’m sure the next one will look better.
1B699C90-C3EA-4EC1-BA6D-7E845A7E19F3.jpeg

As you can see, I sewed in one row of color matched decorative stitching around the brim edge for a little added bling.
The fur felt of this SLS had a short hair type finish and I was really glad that it made it through the restoration Without losing a bit of its tight, fuzzy appearance.
77ED8428-A1A3-433A-9AEA-F62958064B42.jpeg
638AD654-8502-4A46-8299-E323703C897B.jpeg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
In my year and 4 months here he’s given me inspiration and a healthy goal to reach for.
Been looking for a Stephen L. Stetson for a while when, a week ago, I found this one. View attachment 291409 It was an aged homburg that needed either serious restoration or a serious restoration and a reimagined look. Since I own many very nice homburgs in every color I went with the latter. View attachment 291403 View attachment 291401
The reedless sweatband was coming unattached, dry and cracking, so I took it on out. All the cracks were around the old stitching holes and though I tried it wasn’t letting me use the original holes, so, reluctantly, I decided the best thing to do was to cut off the holes which meant taking off about a 3/16”.
I poked new holes with a needle then stitched it back in. It doesn’t look so great, I know, but at least I was able to reuse this fragile, but all too important original sweatband. View attachment 291402
Stefan, @steur brought a bow keep style to my attention when he made a comment that this particular bow keep was his favorite. I liked it too, but didn’t think I could figure out how to pull it off.
Well I did, but I’m sure the next one will look better. View attachment 291408
As you can see, I sewed in one row of color matched decorative stitching around the brim edge for a little added bling.
The fur felt of this SLS had a short hair type finish and I was really glad that it made it through the restoration Without losing a bit of its tight, fuzzy appearance. View attachment 291406 View attachment 291407
Thank you, buddy. That one sure came out nice. Just my size, too!

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Been looking for a Stephen L. Stetson for a while when, a week ago, I found this one. View attachment 291409 It was an aged homburg that needed either serious restoration or a serious restoration and a reimagined look. Since I own many very nice homburgs in every color I went with the latter. View attachment 291403 View attachment 291401
I poked new holes with a needle then stitched it back in. It doesn’t look so great, I know, but at least I was able to reuse this fragile, but all too important original sweatband. View attachment 291402
The fur felt of this SLS had a short hair type finish and I was really glad that it made it through the restoration Without losing a bit of its tight, fuzzy appearance. View attachment 291406 View attachment 291407

I really like the way that turned out. Nice work!

Looks fantastic

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I think you are closing in on a TFL Conversation Rookie of the Year nomination, Randall.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Excellent work Randall. The new life you have given it is sure to last.

Great work!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Keeping it simple on this 4X Resistol conversion. The hat sports a tall straight crown with a crisp profile and a tight pinch. The raw edge snap brim is 2 5/8 wide. The open crown is a full 5 3/4 inches tall and is creased to my preferred Teardrop. As creased the crown is 4 5/8 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/8 inches to the back and has an over all height of 5 inches. It also sports a contrasting mid ribbon with a slight upward swoop to the bow work...

IMG-20201224-051642516.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-1-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-2-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-3-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-4-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-5-A.jpg

And for Christmas I finally got the lighted magnifier glasses I've been needing, along with a prescription of Prednisone for another back flare up. It almost feels like luxury to be able to see what I'm working on and to be able sit down for periods of time without these frequent irritating back issues... these glasses are great! They sure beat putting on three pairs of reading glasses like I've been having to do!

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-6-A.jpg

Keeping it simple on this 4X Resistol conversion. The hat sports a tall straight crown with a crisp profile and a tight pinch. The raw edge snap brim is 2 5/8 wide. The open crown is a full 5 3/4 inches tall and is creased to my preferred Teardrop. As creased the crown is 4 5/8 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/8 inches to the back and has an over all height of 5 inches. It also sports a contrasting mid ribbon with a slight upward swoop to the bow work...

IMG-20201224-051642516.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-1-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-2-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-3-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-4-A.jpg

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-5-A.jpg

And for Christmas I finally got the lighted magnifier glasses I've been needing, along with a prescription of Prednisone for another back flare up. It almost feels like luxury to be able to see what I'm working on and to be able sit down for periods of time without these frequent irritating back issues... these glasses are great! They sure beat putting on three pairs of reading glasses like I've been having to do!

4-X-Fedora-Resistol-6-A.jpg
Beautiful job Terry.

glasses look like they will do the trick

DB2BC1F3-2062-4922-887D-B94622B16E15.gif

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
0D2E6483-8FAA-4F75-A074-70D59A01FB73.jpeg
60s Kevin McAndrew Gray long hair conversion. It had a badly tapered round crown and a raw edge curled brim with a black ribbon. Really ugly, imho.
She got a new life and now sports a 2” light green petersham ribbon with 13 pleats in the gilled bow. Bad luck?
I better stick a 4 leaf clover in one of the pleats!
4 3/4” crown at front crease. 2 3/4” raw edge brim.
780C05D7-1A94-40D1-ABF8-85EA0F1D9A65.jpeg
A4764F47-5D1C-44A1-A670-F6660E36BC85.jpeg
E204902E-B98B-4680-8270-B6633DB7AADC.jpeg

Attachments

• ECA3E918-D444-4F04-8A60-0757571622E5.jpeg
    ECA3E918-D444-4F04-8A60-0757571622E5.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 210
  • 0ADEA113-5F18-4586-AD2A-16E7A6426733.jpeg
    0ADEA113-5F18-4586-AD2A-16E7A6426733.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 192

Forum statistics

Threads