Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Hatband Dilemma

This has been one great thread but it has sort of fizzled out of late.....Anyway, maybe some of you guys can help me. I can do most hat things except to sew on a hatband. I am no seamstress for sure but I have real difficulty pushing the needle back and forth through the felt and the hatband to tac the band to the hat.......Is this the way everybody else does it or is there a trick I don't know about?.....Maybe and inexpensive sewing machine ?. If I have to do it all by hand I'll be forever.......

Thanks in advance

Spoiler

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Someone has suggested a certain kind of stitching awl before, but I don't remember the details. I definitely put a few holes in my thumb replacing a ribbon with my shirt- button-grade mini-sewing kit before...

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
that's some style you got there- keep it up!

The Megahat converts once again. thought I'd go Gus and seeif it sticks. I'll need to spend a little more time smoothing the brim...
megahat00122.jpg
megahat01422.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
ha! Thanks. That grey one definitely gets some disapproving glances around town...

I just took two hats that had almost the same crease, and pulled them apart, so to say.
First my Beaver Brand silverbelly--
from
121vu.jpg

to
bbor011copy.jpg

and my Stetson twenty five OR.
from
newhatalogue06922.jpg

to
bbor007copy.jpg

wanted to go with a modified cattleman with that one, but the teardrop really wanted to hang around, so it's kind of a rakish cattleman/teardrop, or perhaps "the cattledrop." :) lol.

scooter

Practically Family
I really like the unique bash on the Beaver Brand, but with the "25" I much prefer the original crease. Having said that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if it makes you happy, that's all that matters. By the way, I have a Husky that could pass as your dog's sister, right down to the blue eyes.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Ten bucks for the hat plus about 50 in ribbon. I got 5 yards of Black, Burgundy Grey and Olive all 1.5 inches of the real Milliner's Grosgrain Ribbon for more projects!

Where did you get the ribbon ? Is it the kind that has a bound edge ? I have only been able to find the kind with the scalloped edge

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can see you really know your stuff, and I am going to be doing this to one of my older hats that need to be worked on. Thanks for putting this information here for everyone to use!

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I know this posting is 4 years old but I want to try converting a hat, is there anyway to get a copy of the posting with the pix? It looks like the thumbnails have been removed

Thx!

pjt113

One of the Regulars
Hi Fellow Loungers,

I am doing my fist conversion, I'm using a brown Resistol Stagecoach I have left over from my Waylon Jennings days. With the help from postings in this subject, I have cut down the brim to 3", I'm a big guy so I'm starting wide, I have also put in a teardrop bash in the crown. I'm ready to start shaping the brim, any tips on how to do this? I'm most concerned about getting a nice curl on the back of the brim, but i have also considered just having it slope down also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've had good luck, in the absence of tools, with wetting and shaping by hand. Depending on the hat, I've had to over shape a section so that when it dries, it comes back to what I originally envisioned. If you work carefully, you can get a smooth arch.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
I thought I would try my hand at a conversion so here is my first attempt....started life as a Dobbs West 3X...cut the brim down to 2 3/4 and added a 2" hatband..Unfortunately it is a 7 1/2 1nd I wear a 1/8 so I'll be giving it away......I did tear the sweatband in the process but a little tape behind the tear fixed that. ...otherwise things went OK....sewing on the hatband seemed to take forever and the whole thing was definitely a learning process....

17.jpg

DobbsConversion_01.jpg

DobbsConversion_02.jpg

DobbsConversion_04.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice work, thespoiler! I have given up trying ribbons anymore. I had reasonable success with the one I tried awhile back, but it's certainly a bit crude. I have limited my conversions to crown and brim shaping now!

Incidentally, my Beaver Brand silver belly just can't seem to hold a crease that sticks for me. Maybe I shouldn't have messed with it in the first place, but I experimented with something new last night, and so far it feels much more comfortable on my head and I think I kinda like the direction it's going. I went with an equilateral diamond crown, with front pinches, and the brim is trying to be a little swoopy with an up-flange all the way around. The sides are high-ish, and the front and back are dip-ish.

Not the greatest pics, and taken while wet:

053copy.jpg

054copyu.jpg

046copyv.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
Dried up cowboy Resistol conversion.

I bought this old mouse eaten, stiff as a board 3X beaver Resistol from the local Salvation Army resale shop for $5:

P1000921.jpg

sprayed the brim with denatured alcohol and flattened it under two heavy boards:

P1000924.jpg

sprayed the crown and pushed it out:

P1000925.jpg

"That's a BIG hat!" I thought, and shelved my plan to have a 2 1/2" brim so I cut it down with scissors to a 2 3/4 and sanded the edge a smooth as I could:

P1000927.jpg

I had wanted a diamond bash but it wouldn't co-operate so I went with this:

P1000928.jpg

P1000930.jpg

I put some shape into the brim:

P1000931.jpg

and added a ribbon. This was the most difficult part, the ribbon was from a local 'craft store' and synthetic, all my fingers are thumbs so making the 'bow' was a real pain.........however:

P1000933.jpg

P1000932.jpg

It was a 7 1/2 LO when I started but now it fits me well so it must have morphed with all the messing around and massaging to a standard 7 3/8.

P1000937.jpg

It was an interesting little project and one whick I may try again if another donor hat shows up. Thanks for watching.

MP

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Nice Job Mike..........I like the crown work.....As I said above, I had real struggle with with the bow and band as well..I used 50% cotton grosgrain...On my second conversion I experimented and sewed the hatband to the hat but (and this may be a sacrilege to some ) I glued the bow together with fabric glue and then glued the bow to the band, (making sure I didn't glue anything to the hat itself so the band could be changed later)....sure saved a lot of time and came out looking quite well, .......but on the next one I will probably go ahead and sew the whole thing...I'll just feel better about it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy