Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

MikePotts

Practically Family
Many Thanks Randooch & spoiler,
There's a little glue on the hemmed ends of the bow, that darned synthetic ribbon just won't hold a crease worth a darn, I think I've seen some of the real stuff on Etsy.

The entire project, overall, was quicker, easier and turned out better than I expected, although it is FAR from perfect it is definitely wearable in public!

P1000935.jpg

No matter how I tried I could not get the ribbon to cover this sweat stitching at the back, and here's a close up of my bow:eeek:

P1000936.jpg

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
Thank You bowlerman, I am truly honoured. My small accomplishment is as naught compared to some of your creations. I always look forward to seeing them.

MP

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's affirmation that perhaps I need help... My Stetson 25 OR that I had listed in the classifieds last week has taken on a new life and perhaps I won't get rid of it if don't have to.

I put about two dozen different creases in it this evening. Oh, yes, some of the usual suspects like the traditional cattleman, pinched teardrop, elko, montana peak, mesa pinch, center dent, etc., but perhaps some of these will freshen the night up a bit for you:

First, The Alien
thealien.jpg

The Karate Chop
thekaratechop.jpg

The Pumpernickel
thepumpernickel.jpg

The Wave
thewave.jpg

thewave2.jpg

The Handle
thehandle.jpg

The Hatjack
thehatjack.jpg

The Starfish
thestarfish.jpg

The Cupcake Wrapper
thecupcakewrapper.jpg

And my personal favorite, The Bomb Pop
thebombpop.jpg

scooter

Practically Family
Well, I found a Stetson on Ebay for less than $20 to experiment on. It started off with a cattleman's crease and a 4 inch curled brim. I took the hat to Heritage Hats here in Phoenix and he trimmed the brim down to 3 inches for me. I then soaked the hat with distilled water and worked on shaping it by hand. I still consider trimming the brim to 2 3/4, but my wife says it would unbalance the hat. Here are the before and after, tell me what you think.
IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Lastly, as Neophyte would say, "the money shot".
IMG_0093.JPG

MikePotts

Practically Family
Looks good to me scooter! I don't think a half inch off the brim would unbalance it though - your call.

Bowlerman - I think your final choice is the way I'd go too :) - looks great.

MP

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
scooter, depends on the look you're going for. If you're looking to retain a western look, leave the brim as is. If you're looking to go more 'fedorish,' trim some more. Either way would look good on you, imho.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's affirmation that perhaps I need help... My Stetson 25 OR that I had listed in the classifieds last week has taken on a new life and perhaps I won't get rid of it if don't have to.

I put about two dozen different creases in it this evening. Oh, yes, some of the usual suspects like the traditional cattleman, pinched teardrop, elko, montana peak, mesa pinch, center dent, etc., but perhaps some of these will freshen the night up a bit for you:

You crack me up, B-Man!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Well, I found a Stetson on Ebay for less than $20 to experiment on. It started off with a cattleman's crease and a 4 inch curled brim. I took the hat to Heritage Hats here in Phoenix and he trimmed the brim down to 3 inches for me. I then soaked the hat with distilled water and worked on shaping it by hand. I still consider trimming the brim to 2 3/4, but my wife says it would unbalance the hat. Here are the before and after, tell me what you think.

Scooter ... THAT is what a conversion should be.
There are some merely passable western Stetson and Resistols that are getting turned into Great fedoras.

This is one of them!

In Arizona, I'd think you could find some at the thrift shops, too.

Great Job!

Sam

scooter

Practically Family
Thanks, Sam, I appreciate the appreciation. :D I honestly did not realize so much could be done with hats until I discovered this forum. My wife commented along the same lines the other night when I showed her two pictures and asked which one she liked best, then revealed to her they were the same hat creased differently. She and her girlfriend love to frequent thrift shops/Goodwill and she has taken to calling me when she spots a decent fur felt hat.

scooter

Practically Family
It actually looks much like the hat in your avatar, Egghead, so I guess it stands to reason it would appeal to you. I originally wanted to have more of a "fedora" look with a upturn in the back and all, but it just didn't want to look right with the 3 inch brim. After all the compliments on it's current state, I guess I'll leave well enough alone. On to the next grand experiment!!

Jauntyone

Practically Family
My first Akubra was a tawny fawn Campdraft that I bought a few years ago. It got soaked quite a few times (it rains a lot here) and tapered up pretty bad. I relegated it to yard work; etc. But now that I have a real block and flange, I decided to re-do it. The original ribbon was unsalvageable, so I put a wider ribbon on it. I like the results:
IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy