Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
So impressive! I couldn't do a 5 5/8 creased crown, but you wear it well. Nice work.

I love that ribbon-- Justin B, I'll be waiting to see how you use it!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!! I'm just flabbergasted with all the positive responses and warm words regarding the Resistol! I think I'm going to name this hat "The Tommy Gun." The crown is most definitely tall, but honestly, I love the way it looks on me. I made sure to crease the front lower than the back to further the 20's/30's look. I made this hat in my favorite proportions, 2 1/4 inch brim, and tall center dented crown. Thanks again, everybody!!!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!! I'm just flabbergasted with all the positive responses and warm words regarding the Resistol! I think I'm going to name this hat "The Tommy Gun." The crown is most definitely tall, but honestly, I love the way it looks on me. I made sure to crease the front lower than the back to further the 20's/30's look. I made this hat in my favorite proportions, 2 1/4 inch brim, and tall center dented crown. Thanks again, everybody!!!

Cagney had some terrific looking hats with these dimensions.
Looks great

Sam

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
LOVE it! Or you could go with "The Thompson".....On Facebook in Mafia Wars, I go by "Tommy the Gun" in reverence to "Jimmy the Lid"!!!!!

Very cool! What about the "Sub-Thompson"?? You were absolutely right about these Stagecoaches, Tom. The crowns have a nice pliable western weight felt and even though the brims are stiff, they react very well to steam. It seems that the felt is actually very nice in quality too. I mean, its just a basic rabbit fur felt, but they are finished pretty well for later production hats. I think I'm going to try and find a gray one and a tan one to make the "Sub-Thompson" in different colors.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, but tell me what happens to the curled ribbon edge brim?
Is it a matter of steaming the daylights out if it?

EggHead

Practically Family
I used an iron with steam to curl the brim the other way on a fedora.
Wet the brim first and used a wet kitchen towel in-between. Also sprayed a lot of water as I was doing it because it dries out quickly. This brim is raw, though.

<- This hat that I am wearing, the back brim is curled up now.

Last edited:

bond

Got it, I may have someone else do it that has experience as I dont want to mess up the ribbon edge on it,
thanks for answering my question though.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Ok, but tell me what happens to the curled ribbon edge brim?
Is it a matter of steaming the daylights out if it?

Yeah, I have converted several and have 3 more I plan to do....there is a thread on this.....I used water and steam and used an iron for the brim.....had to do it twice to make the brim behave.....on one I removed the brim binding ...big mistake....brim was too floppy to hold ......I think companies must have
used thin felt and depended on the brim binding to hold the curl....

bond

Spoiler, (or anyone)would you mind posting before and after pics of the berg conversion?
I would also like to see how the crown turned out.
Thanks

job

One Too Many
A few years ago I bought a Akubra Down Under. My wife said I looked like Willy Wonka when I wore the hat. I thought Paul Hogan looked good wearing it in Crocodile Dundee. He had a crocodile tooth band on his though. The hat was one size too small so I bought a hat stretcher and opened it up some. Next I had someone cut the brim down to 2 1/2. I re-creased the hat and replaced the leather hat band. I mostly wear this hat when it rains because this hat has the thickest felt and can take the most abuse. The longer I have this hat the more I like it. My wife no longer tells me that I look like Willy Wonka.
images28.jpg
images29.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder010.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder008-2.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder009-2.jpg
AkubraDownUnder012-1.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
A few years ago I bought a Akubra Down Under. My wife said I looked like Willy Wonka when I wore the hat. I thought Paul Hogan looked good wearing it in Crocodile Dundee. He had a crocodile tooth band on his though. The hat was one size too small so I bought a hat stretcher and opened it up some. Next I had someone cut the brim down to 2 1/2. I re-creased the hat and replaced the leather hat band. I mostly wear this hat when it rains because this hat has the thickest felt and can take the most abuse. The longer I have this hat the more I like it. My wife no longer tells me that I look like Willy Wonka.
images28.jpg
images29.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder010.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder008-2.jpg
th_AkubraDownUnder009-2.jpg
AkubraDownUnder012-1.jpg
Man, that came out looking like something you had custom made. You would never guess the hat was anything at all like the original. I hope to get the talent to do conversions myself soon, as from what I have seen so far, some are just awesome like this one! Thanks for sharing this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy