Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, thanks. I have a Milan Pork Pie from Thomas Begg. It's similar to yours but with relatively short brim.
I want to try the same. It looks really good after your conversion. Maybe its a try worth.

Injurytime

New in Town
Cutting down cowboy hats?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has had any success cutting down cowboy hats to fedora size?

Some 'Western Fedora' or pinch-front hats are OK looking apart from the gigantic brim, and it seems a good place to go for good felt these days. So I'm thinking of doing this. Any advice?

I converted this from a $16.00 women's Panama (Cuenca) I found. Number 322, 5 1/4, 7 1/4 Block. Crown 5 inches creased with 2 inch brim. New sweatband and pug.

7136047677_0f975423af_b.jpg

6989800172_c318d2d976_b.jpg

7135883997_9f0a56ec5e_b.jpg

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Dark Green Resistol "DoubleX" Cowboy conversion to...

P1010225.jpg

.........well........those of you who look at the websites of current custom hatters will realise from whence came my inspiration.
This one looks OK in my photograph, but remains as stiff and thick as cardboard. It will make a good wet weather hat and maybe one day I'll spring for a REAL custom.

MP

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Mike, I know what you mean about the cardboard quality. Your conversion looks great nonetheless. Someday I'll try a bucketful of denatured alcohol on one of those stiffies, see if I can't soften it up pleasantly.

A certain Resistol 15X comes to mind . . .

MikePotts

Practically Family
Mike, I know what you mean about the cardboard quality. Your conversion looks great nonetheless. Someday I'll try a bucketful of denatured alcohol on one of those stiffies, see if I can't soften it up pleasantly.

A certain Resistol 15X comes to mind . . .

Yeah, I have a gallon sitting right here. Maybe I'll give it a shot [huh]

MP

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
nothing to lose...

not so much a conversion than an attempted restoration, I suppose.

I grew fond of this little cav-edged resistol but while steaming it one day, i ruined the sweatband. i thought i'd try and give it a reblock after removing the sweat, but while pulling it over the block, i tore through the felt-- about 2 inches right at the crown/brim cusp. I thought felt was tougher than that. oh, well.
so anyway I figured I'd experiment a bit and see if I could get a sweatband on this thing. And I did! (not well, mind, you, but sufficient, I think.) I just used my regular slight bent needle I always use, and some black thread, and it took me about three days.
This was originally tagged as a 7 1/4, but I put a sweatband on it that I cut to my head size (about 22 3/8" or 22 1/2") and it fits better now. just tucked the liner back in and gave it a good cleaning and recrease, and now it's just fine! except for that damn tear...
some pics:

009copys.jpg

007copyx.jpg

008copye.jpg

005copyq.jpg

006copyx.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
Nice work B'Man, well done. I've yet to attempt a sweat replacement, although I have a good candidate hat and another for a donor sweat, maybe one day.
And as my sainted mother was fond of sayong: "A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice the difference"

DOGMAN

One Too Many
bowlerman,that's bad luck with the rip in your resistol.But nice job on sewing the sweatband.I don't think I'm brave enough to try a sweatband yet.Seems like a very tedious job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran