Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 15 minute conversion. Vintage Dobbs Shantung from hburg to flat brim fedora bash w/vintage burgundy ribbon. 1)Ironed the brim flat.2)steamed the sides of crown.3)hook on ribbon.
bc2ff9c6.jpg

83f9fd9d.jpg

bond

Thanks Manfred, I liked the original too, but not as much as i like the conversion. I like a bit of pinch in the crown crease and the brim curl in the original was a bit too round for my tastes. Overall though the hat has great bones which made for easy conversion.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Really nice work there, bond. In this case, I have no objections to converting that homburg. Looks great.

Advice now being solicited:

A casualty in the vintage bowler department today caused me to mess around with some stuff (the stranger things I may share at a later time!). Just to see how it looked, I wrapped the bowler's ribbon around my modern Dobbs burgundy fedora, and wrapped the burgundy ribbon from the Dobbs around my Beaver Brand in sand.

My personal opinion is that the Dobbs looks much better in black, but I'm undecided with the BB.

Before:

0032copy.jpg

018copy.jpg

After:

007copyo.jpg

017copyf.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, I like it. The burgundy ribbon looks well on the Beaver Brand, reminds me on your Falcon Park and is truly a better improvement.
The Burgundy Hat with black ribbon, looks good with this black one. In my opinion, better as before. Looks decent.

bond

This is the conundrum I always have with my hats is choosing a dang ribbon. Which is why I like to get ribbons made up so I can switch em out as my mood changes .
Jeff the monotone look is always great as you can wear that with anything whereas the burgundy ribbon looks good too but limits the palate.
I think this is why borso stuck with the monotone felt/ribbon combo look in vintage hats as it is easy to coordinate with clothing colors. Just my opinion.
What ever you decide it looks good either way.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
thanks guys. I do really like that burgundy on the sand hat, but a good point was made that would look similar to my falcon park, and why not keep a few different options? :)
On the other hand, I ordered one of these pugs from shushan's, and it already makes this ole Dobbs more wearable, IMO. The matching ribbon just looked cheap and plastic-y to me.
imgp6706copy.jpg

bond

Bowler man , nice hat, but the pug is on wrong . The wrap should terminate the other direction , opposite of how you have it currently.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
174.jpg
Here is my 2nd conversion.A Resistol Ridgetop-silverbelly-brim 3 1/2"-open crown 6".After conversion brim 2 6/8"-crown front 4 7/8"-back 3 6/8"
176.jpg
180.jpg
silverbelly2012001.jpg
silverbelly2012010.jpg
silverbelly2012011.jpg
silverbelly2012013.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters