Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I would for sure tack stitch it down. With wear it will start shifting around. I know this because of old cowboy hats with a lose ribbon. It absolutely will not stay in place unless it is tacked down.

By the way, I think that ribbon color is neat. Good job.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I bought this Open Road today at a 'consingment store' here near Detroit. It is immaculate clean, in fact it had a box, but the hat and box got seperated. The store owner told me he had just destroyed the box yesterday as he thought the hat had been sold. No idea of how old it is. I am reblocking it now. I have a very custom block (corel cerel bowl), so if it looks custom, it is! Seriously, this hat is really primo, I'm sure it's not real old, but it really is soft, and it actually creases just as is, but I'm blocking to open block right now. Wish me luck! (Does this mean I can join the 'thin ribbon club ' now?)

74977-m-0.jpg

74978-m-0.jpg

74979-m-0.jpg

74982-m-2.jpg

74983-m-0.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Eh, $82 isn't the worst price in the world. Especially if it is bigger than a size 7. I have seen them go on Ebay for $50, though.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Yes me too..OK, here it is finished for tonite anyway. I amnot going to show the crease..not after seeing that prior post! His is primo..mine is..well, it's a work in progress. I'm just happy it came out as good as it did. Still have to work on pinch, and crease..

75004-m-0.jpg

75003-m-0.jpg

75006-m-0.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was bored....

....and had this Resistol, (very stiff) that I wanted to convert. I basically just soaked it in water, then manhandled it to soften it up some. I swapped out the thin ribbon, sorry Russ. =o)
I also cut the brim down a 1/4" from 3".

DSC05650.jpg
DSC05649.jpg

DSC05651.jpg

DSC05663.jpg

DSC05662.jpg

DSC05660.jpg

DSC05673.jpg

DSC05672.jpg

and a quick noggin shot.....

DSC05671.jpg

DSC05667.jpg

I have to tack down the ribbon in the front so you don't see the sweat stitching.

fmw

One Too Many
That's a great job. Excellent. I'd be afraid to try that on one of my lids.

Raider

One of the Regulars
Planning to add to this thread. Have two westerns to convert (not me personally; professionally done). Pics to come.

Larry Mahan in bone and Resistol in black:

westernconversion001.jpg

westernconversion002.jpg

westernconversion003.jpg

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Henry the Hatter is listed on the web. Talk to either Joe (joedahat on FL) or Paul (the owner). Tell them what yoou have and what you want done. I believe it's $65 for a full conversion which is what you want. They disassemble, trim brim,clean, block, install new sweat and manufactur a new ribbon, then crease to your desire. I think that also includes return shipping.

I am very happy with both of my conversions. I am moving to Frankfurt Germany soon, and I will still send my hats to them. Just make sure you tell them exactly what you want, as they will try to save you money. I wish you success, it is nice to get some use out of something you don't use anymore.

Check out what they did for me on page 66 of this thread!

Last edited:
looking for opinions, I wanted to sell the hat because it is really nice, but there's been no bites.. I have a stratton with a cattleman's crease that I love, but I just can't pull this one off...

so I guess my questions are:
1) if I open up the crown and put it in a c-crown, how can you tell how much taper will be there? if I soak it, what's the odds of it becoming discolored because it's so light?
2) it has 3 eyelets on each side, the metal part of the eyelet is a royal blue (matches the braided band) would you paint them black and how to do this without getting paint on the felt
3) it a off white / bone color, what ribbon would look best on it?
4) I was thinking a brim width of 2 1/2 inches

let me know your thoughts...

IMG_6522.JPG

IMG_6529.JPG

IMG_6530.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy