Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok, hear ya on that. I guess I was looking to hear more options regarding color combinations of ribbons that go with black hats.
Thanks

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I have used navy blue with black,I liked that combo.I did a black hat for a friend with a ivory ribbon,he loved that.I'm thinking of doing one with a smoke grey ribbon.

bond

Good. I have some smoke grey and was thinking of doing a brim binding with it but wasn't sure about crown ribbon , what do you think about different color for crown or keep it same to match brim binding?
Thanks

bond

Stay tuned . I ve decided to go with a black brim binding and a black ribbon . Ill post pics when its finished. New vintage stock ribbons all the way around.
Thanks for feedback.

LonnieW

New in Town
Conversion Hat

Hello. I'm new on the forum, and I actually posted on the "Introduction" page, lest anyone think I'm just jumping in unannounced. :)

This is a hat I found in an Austin, TX resale shop sometime back, which is a work in progress.

2elbmsp.jpg

It was hanging on one of the shop's walls, and when I saw the crown and "cleanliness" of it, I decided I had to have it.

All I'm doing right now is working the brim back...it stands at 3 1/4 right now, and I'm heading for about 2 7/8, I "think". I'm doing it at 1/8 at a time because I want to live with it a little at each cut.

I realize the crown should probably be changed to really do a "conversion", but I love the crown. What are the odds of an off the wall hat fitting perfectly? Pretty slim...but this one did. I don't have the heart to change it.

The pink ribbon will go as soon as I get the brim where I want it. That's going to take some thinking.

The hat was made by the Standard Hat Works in Waco, TX, and according to them it's a '70s model, 10X or 20X. Current, they only make 10, 20, 50, and 100X. They were started in 1909 and are still in business...they're only open to the public on Saturdays, and all their hats are custom made. I've recently put a down payment on a new 100X, and I'm just waiting for them to get the felt and block it so I can go down and let them finish the fit and fit the crease to my head.

Then I'll start trying to figure out what ribbon and design I want. Considering their inventory, it might take me a while; this is one of the ribbons I like:

31529fn.jpg

It's hard to read, but that's vintage ribbon dated 1950. They've got tons of vintage ribbons. I think I saw some 4 and 5 "ply" ribbons (at least that's what I think you call them; I understand that the one on the hat is a 3 ply). I'm going to double check when next time I visit them because I saw a post on the website here, that the higher number of plies is pretty rare. Don't know for sure, but that might be a neat option. I asked him how much a roll of some of his would cost, and he said some of them would be $1,000 or more. But, I figure 20 some odd inches for my hat won't be too bad. If I finish this deal up, I'll post a follow up pic.

bond

Welcome to the lounge Lonnie .
Looks like a nice hat, glad to hear your going slow on trimming the brim as that's the easiest way to ruin a perfectly good hat. Sounds like your going about the right way though.
Nice ribbons too, sounds like they have a treasure there.

... They've got tons of vintage ribbons. I think I saw some 4 and 5 "ply" ribbons (at least that's what I think you call them; I understand that the one on the hat is a 3 ply). I'm going to double check when next time I visit them because I saw a post on the website here, that the higher number of plies is pretty rare...
Typically after 2 & 3 ply, the higher ply's are reached by adding these 2 together. 4 ply = 2 2 ply, 5 ply = 3 ply + 2 ply 6 ply = 2 3ply. Other ribbons are measured by "lignes", roughly 11 ligne = 1 inch.
Welcome to the Lounge. Living in Plano, you should visit the HatCo Outlet Store as well as take a tour.

LonnieW

New in Town
Hatco Outlet

I'm thinking your referring to the Resistol and Stetson outlet store over by the plant in Garland.

I've been there a couple of time. I almost bought a 30X Resistol "blank" (isn't that what you call an unshaped/trimmed hat?) at half price. But even at that, I decided to save my money for the hat I'm having Standard Hat Works make. I think I'm pretty fortunate to have a custom hat shop within weekend driving distance, and want to take advantage of it. But there are a few good deals over at the outlet.

Re ribbon, this is a snapshot I took of part of the SHW's ribbon stash. It's pretty cool being able to walk up and check out all the possibilities.

2lxwdbo.jpg

I'm thinking your referring to the Resistol and Stetson outlet store over by the plant in Garland. ...

That's the one. Anytime you can visit a good custom hat store in easy driving distance is a good thing to me, especially one that does renovations & repairs.
I have a friend that has bought quite a few custom westerns from Standard.
I'm glad to see the business continue on especially after this = http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/...ing-After-More-Than-A-Century--183842851.html

LonnieW

New in Town
The shop isn't closed, but production isn't what one would want or used to be; I know more about the situation, but don't feel I should comment. They've got plenty of work to do, as the new 100X I'm having them make will take about 6-8 weeks. There's a guy name Cameron that's the main worker bee right now, and the great thing about him is that he's drips with passion over what he's doing; he's the person that one should try to talk to, as an initial contact, I believe. Bottom line, I'm not concerned about doing business with them at this point, as I asked a few pointed questions before discussing the new hat I've since ordered.

I'm glad I found them. Off the shelf hats are ok....the $1,000 100X Stetsons and Resistols are pretty, but they're still "factory" hats that have to be fitted "to you" after the fact, so to speak. Being able to be fitted and choose dimensions and details from the beginning is really appealing, and SHW's quality appears to be first rate. I'm not expert by a long shot, but I can see fit and finish without too much trouble.

They do have a pretty interesting bunch of fedora's for sale (they have stuff that isn't their own), including what looks to be a perfect condition Stetson Stratoliner (?) from what Cameron says is the 1920s. If it hadn't been too small for me I'd bought in on the spot.

...They do have a pretty interesting bunch of fedora's for sale (they have stuff that isn't their own), including what looks to be a perfect condition Stetson Stratoliner (?) from what Cameron says is the 1920s. If it hadn't been too small for me I'd bought in on the spot.

Their prices aren't too out of line with other custom western hatters. I know Shorty's in OKC gets $600 & up for her 100% beaver.
They look to be Winchester felt bodies.
The Strat was introduced in the early 1940s but the thin ribbon/bound edge has been around well before that.

bond

Here are some pics of brim binding project I am working on. This is a first attempt and it turned out very well so far, all that's left to do is final stitch with sewing machine.
6A1AB23F-0703-48E5-9EEA-75D254CAD56F-177-0000001F1FD80BB4_zpsc9dc1998.jpg

0323A7D3-1C19-4D04-BBD8-859AEF2729F6-177-0000001F29C9133E_zpsf07d327d.jpg

9AD36C52-4E43-4834-B57A-BA8AC23411BC-177-0000001F417F1B0A_zps38254f20.jpg

163B3C40-DB0E-4813-B8F7-237439709C66-177-0000001F4B433630_zpsc8b9c6b7.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That would be quite an undertaking for me. I'm not great with a needle and thread, and have no idea how to use a sewing machine. So-- you pin the ribbon, then stitch it with that twine looking stuff, and then go to the machine? Will you remove the twine somehow?

bond

B man, these are the basic steps in pics , there are just as many steps not illustrated in pics such as knowing where to cut and mark ends of ribbon before stitching together. As well as ironing the binding in half and creating an arch so it conforms to circular form of the hat. The basting stitches you see now are removed after machine stitching it down .
I have more time than most people right know so I can fool around with figuring this out , if I had more money I would just as easy hire someone else to do it now that I know what's involved . All that you see so far has taken me about 2 hrs to do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff