Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

This 3X Stetson Western thin ribbon conversion, I'm gonna call, 'Unfinished Buisness'. I started this one a few weeks ago but was never able to finish it. I held off showing it until now. For one, I can't find a matching 3/8 ribbon to bind the brim edge. Two, my back just aches too much right now for me to sit long enough to sew one on. So, I just popped it on a #810 flange and made it a thin ribbon with raw edge brim for now.

Before: It started off about two sizes too small and I blocked it up to a 7 1/4 to fit me. It was in pretty rough shape.
Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-10.jpg

Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-11.jpg

Embroidered 'Last Drop' liner that I was able to iron out and reuse, along with the original sweat band bow
Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-9-A.jpg

Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-8-A.jpg

On the block a few weeks back
Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-12.jpg

After: I may or may not leave it as is with the raw edge. Just depends on what the ol' back can take sitting and sewing and if I can locate some matching 3/8 ribbon for the brim binding. All in all, I do like the crisp lines on this one and the clean look of a thin ribbon...
Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-5-A.jpg

Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-4-A.jpg

On the head from a few different angles...
Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-3-A.jpg

Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-1-A.jpg

Thin-Ribbon-3-X-Stetson-2-A.jpg

Love it, Terry. I never get tired seeing old hats being reborn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This 3X Stetson Western thin ribbon conversion, I'm gonna call, 'Unfinished Buisness'. I started this one a few weeks ago but was never able to finish it. I held off showing it until now. For one, I can't find a matching 3/8 ribbon to bind the brim edge. Two, my back just aches too much right now for me to sit long enough to sew one on. So, I just popped it on a #810 flange and made it a thin ribbon with raw edge brim for now.

Before: It started off about two sizes too small and I blocked it up to a 7 1/4 to fit me. It was in pretty rough shape.

Embroidered 'Last Drop' liner that I was able to iron out and reuse, along with the original sweat band bow

After: I may or may not leave it as is with the raw edge. Just depends on what the ol' back can take sitting and sewing and if I can locate some matching 3/8 ribbon for the brim binding. All in all, I do like the crisp lines on this one and the clean look of a thin ribbon...

Terry, yet another great hat conversion on that Stetson. Super rake! Love it.
I'm worried about your health though. Stay well, friend, and lay off the hard work if you can.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry, yet another great hat conversion on that Stetson. Super rake! Love it.
I'm worried about your health though. Stay well, friend, and lay off the hard work if you can.

Thank you Steve! I gotta say, this hat has a real nice profile that I like. The crown, the flange...are really crisp. It's definitely a favorite.

Thank you buddy. I truly appreciate your concern. I'm confident, though, that I'll shortly be back at it full force! Thank you again buddy!

jswindle2

One of the Regulars

I think it looks great the way it is now, but of course, I'm open to having my mind changed.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Borsalino Homburg conversion to fedora. Basic conversion but instead of using a wider brim binding I choose a narrower binding to keep balance with the lower crown ht and mid width crown ribbon. The Homburg brim was trimmed about 1/8 on one side and about 1/4 on opposing side to get it even before binding. The hat was never really worn so the binding stitch holes from original binding were never really a problem. Color of the felt is called Mineral and is a real chameleon of a color as it alternates between grey and brown depending on the lighting.
81eafbe0bb04a64502a7fb450aa974f7.jpg

7f829f76a096dcd5a93bc01b6b232032.jpg
a3f31300225e85b463bba936e9b2180f.jpg
173b1fa7891b2576592142a002e6c490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Found this unfinished black Caxton that I started sometime back but never got around to completing yet. It started out as a butt ugly Western with a bound taco brim and a low horseshoe creased crown. The open crown, though, was 5 3/4. It'll be my version of a thin ribbon Strat clone once I get ambitious enough to finish it. I got as far as making up the brim binding. I just have to be able to sit long enough without back pain to sew it on. I have an appointment for Pain Management next week so hopefully I can get this done sooner than later. It was reblocked from a size 7 to a 7 1/4. The brim has been cut and flanged to 2 5/8. The crown is creased to my preferred teardrop and was blocked on the straight sided dome from Hat Shapers. It's creased to 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back. It has a clean and crisp profile. I've always wanted a Stetson Stratoliner or a Borsa Alessandra thin ribbon but I could never afford one, I gave up ever trying to get one. So, I have to make my own version of one.

Here's what's done on it so far. I'll have more when I'm able to finish it, although I do have more pictures of this hat throughout its conversion process. Those I'll post at a later time. I didn't reuse the original brim binding or hat band because they were too wide for what I want to accomplish with this hat. They'll be saved for a future project.
Caxton-Conversion-5-A.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
After some time I finally mustered up enough ambition and finished this Caxton that I started awhile back. The hat was originally a late '50s - early '60s black Western with a bound taco curved brim and with a low horseshoe creased crown. It also had a mid ribbon with a double tailed bow. It seemed liked it took me forever to get this finished. I started on this a good while back. It set aside for the longest time. It was a real pain work on with these back issues. It'll probably be a while before I sit down long enough to try and do this again, at least until I see how pain management works out for me.

Anyway, here's the specs on this Caxton Western.
1. It originally started out as a size 7. It's now been reblocked to a 7 1/4.
2. The open crown height is 5 3/4 inches tall and was blocked on my preferred straight sided dome.
3. It's been creased to my preferred Teardrop and is 4 3/4 at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in back.
4. It's a thin ribbon with a bound brim and also has a 3/8 ribbon with a Strat / OR style bow work.
5. The snap brim is 2 5/8 wide.
6. I was also able to reuse the original liner and sweatband bow, and I put the original manufacturers labels back into the hat...

Before:
Caxton-Strat-3-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-6-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-4-A.jpg

Featuring my Rick Walker brim cutter and Rockwater band block
IMG-20191218-085757454.jpg

This was as far as I got until I later decided to get ambitious enough to finish it...

Hand sewing really sucks. Definitely a back breaker for me...
Caxton-Strat-9-A.jpg

Finally finished...I'm done for awhile and I'm definitely going to be wearing this one a lot.
Caxton-Strat-1-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-7-A.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
After some time I finally mustered up enough ambition and finished this Caxton that I started awhile back. The hat was originally a late '50s - early '60s black Western with a bound taco curved brim and with a low horseshoe creased crown. It also had a mid ribbon with a double tailed bow. It seemed liked it took me forever to get this finished. I started on this a good while back. It set aside for the longest time. It was a real pain work on with these back issues. It'll probably be a while before I sit down long enough to try and do this again, at least until I see how pain management works out for me.

2. The open crown height is 5 3/4 inches tall and was blocked on my preferred straight sided dome.
3. It's been creased to my preferred Teardrop and is 4 3/4 at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in back.
4. It's a thin ribbon with a bound brim and also has a 3/8 ribbon with a Strat / OR style bow work.
6. I was also able to reuse the original liner and sweatband bow, and I put the original manufacturers labels back into the hat...

Before:
Caxton-Strat-3-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-6-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-4-A.jpg

This was as far as I got until I later decided to get ambitious enough to finish it...

Caxton-Strat-9-A.jpg

Finally finished...I'm done for awhile and I'm definitely going to be wearing this one a lot.
Caxton-Strat-1-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-7-A.jpg
Yet again, another great job well executed, Terry. You really know how to bring a hat back to life.
Hope the medical fraternity can help put your back to rights just as well as you do hats my friend.
I'm rooting for you, not the only one for sure. Keep us posted as to how the treatment goes.
Meanwhile, just keep posting photos of your good self with your wonderful hats.
Very best wishes - Steve

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yet again, another great job well executed, Terry. You really know how to bring a hat back to life.
Hope the medical fraternity can help put your back to rights just as well as you do hats my friend.
I'm rooting for you, not the only one for sure. Keep us posted as to how the treatment goes.
Meanwhile, just keep posting photos of your good self with your wonderful hats.
Very best wishes - Steve

Thank you buddy. I'm happy with the way it turned out. The profile is very crisp and it's hard to beat a thin ribbon for its clean and casual look.

Yeah, these back issues have definitely been a constant irritation. I'm pretty confident, though, that I'll get through it all after a bit of pain management. I'm just not looking forward to getting those pain shots in my back. :confused:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you buddy. I'm happy with the way it turned out. The profile is very crisp and it's hard to beat a thin ribbon for its clean and casual look.

Yeah, these back issues have definitely been a constant irritation. I'm pretty confident, though, that I'll get through it all after a bit of pain management. I'm just not looking forward to getting those pain shots in my back. :confused:
I truly hope the pain of the shots will give some gain, Terry. You deserve it. Here's hoping the best for you, your dear wife, and your family in 2020. You enrich our world, my friend. Hope karma will enrich you back [emoji145]

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I truly hope the pain of the shots will give some gain, Terry. You deserve it. Here's hoping the best for you, your dear wife, and your family in 2020. You enrich our world, my friend. Hope karma will enrich you back [emoji145]

Thank you buddy. I really appreciate that...and I wish the very best for you and your family as well. On another note, the wife had a health scare a couple months back but recent test results have revealed very good news and things weren't what we first suspected. So, 2020 is getting off to a good start, better than what last year was for us.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you buddy. I really appreciate that...and I wish the very best for you and your family as well. On another note, the wife had a health scare a couple months back but recent test results have revealed very good news and things weren't what we first suspected. So, 2020 is getting off to a good start, better than what last year was for us.
That is some good news, Terry. So happy to hear it!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Before:
Caxton-Strat-3-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-6-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-4-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-9-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-1-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-7-A.jpg
Very nice work, Terry. That is a fine looking hat now. Hope the pain management comes through for you.

Michael

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Before:
Caxton-Strat-3-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-6-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-4-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-9-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-1-A.jpg

Caxton-Strat-7-A.jpg
Another fine job Terry, as always.
Your preferred style is always recognizable.
I thought you got a sewing machine awhile back to alleviate all that hand stitching, no??
Be weller. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points