Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Crime of the Century

Edward

Bartender
Interesting, I hadn't realisechow key thed glases were to the case. I studied Darrow's defence in depth at university. To a great degree, as I recall, it relied on the assumption that Leopold and Loeb were lovers, and thus, being gay, couldn't possibly have been in their right minds.

Hitchock's movie "The Rope" isn't a bad fictionalized version of the crime, but there is no reason to do a fictionalized version when the real story has so much real life grit.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Man that whole story is just plain creepy , kill a kid just to see if you could get away with it ,
I wonder, if he never lost his specks would they have ever figured out the "who done it " if not then I would have to assume that it would have been the perfect crime ,very interesting .

All the Best ,Fashion frank

Man that whole story is just plain creepy , kill a kid just to see if you could get away with it ,
I wonder, if he never lost his specks would they have ever figured out the "who done it " if not then I would have to assume that it would have been the perfect crime ,very interesting .

All the Best ,Fashion frank

I often think about that when I think about the murder - without the glasses, would they have been caught? And if not, would it have remained a story discussed to this day?

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Interesting, I hadn't realisechow key thed glases were to the case. I studied Darrow's defence in depth at university. To a great degree, as I recall, it relied on the assumption that Leopold and Loeb were lovers, and thus, being gay, couldn't possibly have been in their right minds.

Darrow never presented "a defense" per se. There was no trial: only a sentencing hearing after guilty pleas before a judge to avoid the enflamed passions of a jury. The issue was not guilt, but whether Leopold and Loeb would be executed. To that end, it was a victory for Mr. Darrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner