Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My perception of all these comments from observers is, most of them really wish they had the self-confidence to wear what they like without fear of ridicule. I had a friend years ago who only wore tee-shirts and jeans - ever! He admired certain fashion or trendy duds but would never wear them simply because his ego would not allow for any comments or ridicule from others. He wasn't comfortable with himself enough but for plain vanilla clothing. So be it.

Most of the comments that I get, though few, leave me with the impression that the observer, but for their own hang-ups, would prefer to be so bold. It is a nice feeling inside that one has gotten past all that and can just be themselves without fear or insecurity.

And it is true, our responses to such comments might be the difference between a new fedora lover and an envious observer.

-dixon cannon

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
mwelch8404 said:
From my FedDlx (replaced a Stetson) over the past couple of years:

I have only had a couple Indiana Jones comments, more "cowboy" comments but I live in southern Utah and c'boys are not uncommon.

But, mostly, I get the "nice gangster hat."

I wore my Federation Deluxe to a meeting, last year. Another fellow had to bring his child to the meeting. The little boy (about 4 years old) looked at me with admiration and asked, "Are you a cowboy?" :cool: :D

MAB1

Suspended
Let's face it. The Indiana Jones movies have created more fedora fans than anything in our lifetime. We should embrace it and welcome the newcomers into the fold. And... just ignore the ignorant comments.

It's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

feltfan

MAB1 said:
Let's face it. The Indiana Jones movies have created more fedora fans than anything in our lifetime. We should embrace it and welcome the newcomers into the fold. And... just ignore the ignorant comments.

It's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.
What's so great about popularizing the fedora?
Okay, if quality hats get popular enough that we have
an economy of scale again, that would benefit us. But
until then, it just drives up the price of vintage hats.

Last week I was coming home wearing a grey, stingy
Cavanagh and a neighbor said, "Indiana Jones!". Arg.
I will go with "curse", per the thread title.

MAB1

Suspended
feltfan said:
What's so great about popularizing the fedora?
Okay, if quality hats get popular enough that we have
an economy of scale again, that would benefit us. But
until then, it just drives up the price of vintage hats.

Last week I was coming home wearing a grey, stingy
Cavanagh and a neighbor said, "Indiana Jones!". Arg.
I will go with "curse", per the thread title.

There was a time when everybody wore hats and nobody knew the word Melanoma.

Whatever we can contibute to bringing back the sanity of wearing hats, is up to us.

And I doubt like hell that the kids buying woolly IJ's is driving up the price of anything vintage on ebay. But...

Someday they may come to appreciate a real hat.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Solid Citizen said:
Judging by the number of people in the HATS
section this may be IJ movie related?????? :rolleyes:

Solid Citizen ;)

Yup. And the new edition of the magazine. (Fine job, btw).

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Interesting-

NonEntity said:
We've gone over and over this issue here on FL.

This is certainly true!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

NonEntity said:
The Indiana Jones character has by far and away the strongest association with brimmed hats of modern times, so people simply call any remotely similar hat an "Indy." As headgear enthusiasts, we must remember that we are all ambassadors from the Hat Nation, and being nice to such people is key to a favorable foreign relations policy and perhaps even making them one of our own.

Here, here!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Well said. Very well said. Though this also brings up a very interesting point. Why has no other prop seemed to generate nearly the following as this one (well, toys excluded). I hear from some of my sword and foil friends the same kinds of comments, btw, about certain movies but they don't actually carry them around or to work!! :)

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Personally, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. They could be shouting "Look at the dork in the gangster hat!"

Most people only see 'real' hats in the movies; at least Indy wears a decent hat that people recognise and admire.

The only other time they're likely to see a fedora is in a Bogey or similar movie, which is great but not exactly mainstream these days. It's a look which I personally love but most would sadly think is weird in today's hat-free, taste-free, plastic world.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Two Gun Bob said:
Personally, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. They could be shouting "Look at the dork in the gangster hat!"

Most people only see 'real' hats in the movies; at least Indy wears a decent hat that people recognise and admire.

The only other time they're likely to see a fedora is in a Bogey or similar movie, which is great but not exactly mainstream these days. It's a look which I personally love but most would sadly think is weird in today's hat-free, taste-free, plastic world.

HI Two Gun Bob,
If that's you in the picture under your name may I say I can only imagine you getting compliments about your hat 'cause you really suit it.:cool2: It's also good to see someone (I know there are others) from the U.K. I hope I suit mine as well when I finally get one.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I've gotten the Indy comment when wearing western hats but never in a fedora. I have gotten Bogart comments in the fedora on more than one occassion. That actually made me want to wear it more.

T.E.W.Clough

New in Town
Rightly so! Surely this kind of positive identification is a good thing?

O.k, so people will get it wrong, and that hat you happen to be wearing may not be the right style, material or even colour- but hey, the guy intended it as a compliment.

YARVTON

New in Town
"It Just Drives up the Price of Vintage..."

I'm no Free-Market Fundamentalist, but if "Vintage" becomes too pricey, then other options should become available. Even now, Vintage is not an option for many due to size. And selection is hit-and-miss even for the smaller sizes. Will that felt really last forever, or is it just luck that hats fell out of fashion yet many managed to be well-preserved?

It's said that the Indy flicks saved Stetson? How is that Bad? Should the only choices be truly junky hats made by near-slave & child labor in China and then the custom-made? Ok, there's also Akubra, and their biggest seller ever was the Federation -- created by and for the Indy nutters. And by the way, the quality keeps increasing with details improving.

It seems to me that Indy created a niche market big enough to allow all sorts of people to make enough money to keep on going, and the growing market makes more and more possible.

I'm more the Eccentric than Indy-Fan, but for the efforts of Mr. Delk, Mr. Keppler, and so many others I remain most grateful.

AlanC

^ Exactly.

Increased demand leads to increased options. We can see that in action over the past 5-10 years (or 2-3 years). The 'Nostalgia' project with Stetson, including hints at a Strat project in the Nostalgia thread. More options from Akubra. A high quality factory Adventurebilt in the works. Camptown, Keppler, Jimmy Pierce, not to mention Vintage Silhouettes and Optimo. Even if you don't like the Indy hat per se (and I wouldn't want to be limited by it, either), it has helped to drive demand, which has had a strong trickle down effect.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
Charlie, That's not me, but if I shaved off my beard there would be a distinct resemblance, oddly enough. Hope you enjoy your hat when you get one, and don't be worried about 'Indy' or 'Bogey' comments - revel in them! :D

PS... now it IS me :D

charlie farley said:
HI Two Gun Bob,
If that's you in the picture under your name may I say I can only imagine you getting compliments about your hat 'cause you really suit it.:cool2: It's also good to see someone (I know there are others) from the U.K. I hope I suit mine as well when I finally get one.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
No doubt about it. The high end fountain pen market has developed similarly. The huge interest in collecting and using high quality vintage pens has driven expansion and increasing diversity in both collectable and high end 'executive' modern fountain pens, to the point where these are now pursued as status symbols.

One problem that has arisen, however, is that old and new manufacturers have had to painfully re-learn the old craft and manufacturing skills lost when the ballpoint pen largely killed the quality fountain pen market in the 60s. Not all of them have made the grade, despite their marketing hype, and high prices are no guarantee of quality in the modern world.

It's entirely possible that the quality men's dress hat market will also go this way, expanding from a niche collectors market to a market where a high quality hat becomes a commonly accepted status symbol as well as a fashion statement, on a par with other top quality clothing once more.

Maybe the newsboy cap will even take over from the baseball cap, one day ;)

AlanC said:
^ Exactly.

Increased demand leads to increased options. We can see that in action over the past 5-10 years (or 2-3 years). The 'Nostalgia' project with Stetson, including hints at a Strat project in the Nostalgia thread. More options from Akubra. A high quality factory Adventurebilt in the works. Camptown, Keppler, Jimmy Pierce, not to mention Vintage Silhouettes and Optimo. Even if you don't like the Indy hat per se (and I wouldn't want to be limited by it, either), it has helped to drive demand, which has had a strong trickle down effect.

YARVTON

New in Town
... Take Over from the Baseball Cap...

One sees quite a few Dashing Young Men in their Stingy-Brim Fedoras. Fad? Or Trend? Time will tell.

enigmata-wood

New in Town
I get the Indy comment a lot and respond according to by whom and and how it is delivered.
If it's a child I just touch my brim and reply with my best Harrison Ford voice, "You better believe it kid".
If it's well meant but tounge in cheek from an adult it's, "yes but I'm better looking".
If it's shouted across a street, something like, "Look that bloke finks 'es Indiana jahns innit!" I point and shout back, "Look, that fellow thinks his opinion matters".
If it's a yobbish comment from [usually] a teenage boy trying to impress his mates, pointing out how 'uncool' I look, I find something ridiculous about His clothing and retreat while his mates are laughing at his expense. For example, if he's wearing a hoody track suit and beany hat it's easy; "And I'm going to take fashion advice from someone in an adult romper suit and a teacosy?"
The point is NOTHING will prevent me dressing as I see fit.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
When I was in my teens and some jerk would see me in a Western felt and want to know where my horse was, I would respond "I don't know, but I'm amazed to see that his hind-end has learned how to talk!"

Today, if I was EVER to be compared with Harrison Ford ... especially vintage 1981 ... I would be so charmed I believe I'd just say "thank you, bless you, please do go on."

I agree with "wood-y" above, dress as you see fit and don't worry about those who just wish they had great hats ... but don't have a clue where to find them.

No ... You cannot find this hat at Target or Wal-Mart!

Sam

Edward

Bartender
I get the Indy comment a lot and respond according to by whom and and how it is delivered.
If it's a child I just touch my brim and reply with my best Harrison Ford voice, "You better believe it kid".
If it's well meant but tounge in cheek from an adult it's, "yes but I'm better looking".
If it's shouted across a street, something like, "Look that bloke finks 'es Indiana jahns innit!" I point and shout back, "Look, that fellow thinks his opinion matters".
If it's a yobbish comment from [usually] a teenage boy trying to impress his mates, pointing out how 'uncool' I look, I find something ridiculous about His clothing and retreat while his mates are laughing at his expense. For example, if he's wearing a hoody track suit and beany hat it's easy; "And I'm going to take fashion advice from someone in an adult romper suit and a teacosy?"
The point is NOTHING will prevent me dressing as I see fit.

Oh, there's litte more satisfying than turning it around like that.... unfortunately it's usually safer just to walk fast and avoid eye contact. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot