Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

fenris

One of the Regulars
The comments that get to me is not the Indy comment (as it was Indiana Jones that got me into hats), but these ones:

- Cowboy comments - "Where's your horse?!" or "Look, there's a cowboy!"
People here are so ignorant that for them a wide-brimmed hat is automatically a cowboy hat.

- Freddy Krueger - "You have the same hat as Freddy!"
Yes, it happened once. I was standing next to a Freddy Krueger bust at the time. Not on purpose, of course.

The first time I got an Indy comment wasn't a negative moment...

A guy in the mall approached me and asked if I was wearing an Indy hat. He was all excited about the hat (I was wearing my Christy's Adventurer) and asked where I got it and how much it was. He got disappointed when he found out it wasn't available in our country, but overseas. I did point him towards a shop that sold the official DP hats as an alternative.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Ignorant boob trying to be funny: "Where's your horse?"

Me: "I don't know, but I'm amazed to see that it's hind-end has learned to talk!"

Use it free of charge.

Sam

fenris

One of the Regulars
Ignorant boob trying to be funny: "Where's your horse?"

Me: "I don't know, but I'm amazed to see that it's hind-end has learned to talk!"

Use it free of charge.

Sam

That is priceless!!! Now all I need to do is translate it properly in our language so that it will still have the same effect...

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
People here are so ignorant that for them a wide-brimmed hat is automatically a cowboy hat.
And here I thought such things could only happen in Finland! While I'm still dismayed by that sort of ignorance, I'm also a bit happy that Finns are not as stupid in comparison to other nationalities as I thought... :)

garenb

New in Town
Stepping into an elevator yesterday, someone looked at me and said "nice fedora". To which a second person already in the elevator replied "that's not a fedora, it's and Indiana Jones hat". I just chuckled and said "thanks".

Edward

Bartender
The comments that get to me is not the Indy comment (as it was Indiana Jones that got me into hats), but these ones:

- Freddy Krueger - "You have the same hat as Freddy!"
Yes, it happened once. I was standing next to a Freddy Krueger bust at the time. Not on purpose, of course.

The first time I got an Indy comment wasn't a negative moment...

A guy in the mall approached me and asked if I was wearing an Indy hat. He was all excited about the hat (I was wearing my Christy's Adventurer) and asked where I got it and how much it was. He got disappointed when he found out it wasn't available in our country, but overseas. I did point him towards a shop that sold the official DP hats as an alternative.

Ha, I used to get 'Freddy' years ago.... over a black wool trilby. Some local kids, about 1992.... I suppose that was simply what they associated that shape of hat with. Never bothered me, really. The cowboy comments do great a bit, but in most cases people mean well. 99% of all comments on my hats are well meaning - "love your cowboy hat" typically translates as "I admire your hat and am unsure of how to communicate this fact". [huh]

T Rick

Practically Family
Well, I got the 'love your Cowboy hat" once, and I was wearing an Open Road with a Cattleman's crease. Didn't think I could really argue the point. OTOH, I've never (so far...) gotten the Indy comment. Even with a nice wide brimmed brown vintage Stetson and a brown leather flight jacket. Maybe I'm immune? (Doubt it...). Maybe I'm just too fat? ;)

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Regrettably that's the only reason I don't wear brown fedoras. Yet I have also received the "Hey Indy!" comment when wearing a natural colored straw fedora. However the more complements I get and the more my hats have become a regular part of my wardrobe, I've pretty much got to the point where I care less what folks think.

irb

Familiar Face
Yep. It doesn't even matter if the hat's a Panama. I get it all the time.

Once though, after telling a coworker that it wasn't nearly as clever and original as he thought, he started calling me Ray Chandler.

Which I think I'm okay with. ...

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
Well I must confess, the hat which started me down this road of hat obsession was my uncle's Akubra. It was sort of silverbelly colour with a tear drop bash - it looks nothing like an Indy hat to the expert but the first thing I thought when I put it on and saw my reflection was "oh, I look like Indiana Jones." In hindsight, and with years of experience of intricate detail scrutiny, I now realise how it looked nothing like a dark brown, high crown, centre dent fedora with a ribbon and bow... but until all my research my memory banks had nothing but distant childhood memories of Indy's hat to refer to.

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
I have been wearing various fedora like hats for years, in and around the local community and beyond. The oddly placed comment by an arrogant little youngster to his 'friends' was " Look, here comes a Rabbi"... ? I was wearing a Bottle Green Fedora at the time. Since then, all comments have been complimentary without exception, even when wearing a chocolate brown Orvis 'canoe' hat, which I wear to work in. As for the IJ comments, I have none at all that I have been able to hear but, even if I had, all I do is watch older films, cliffhanger serials etc, and imagine myself as one of the many hat wearers that went unnoticed in those days...
A reference earlier on this thread mentioned Melanoma, well, that is a real threat to anyone without protection, and I have to admire those scantily clad females who sport 'cowboy' style hats on the beach. They may be following the trendy fashions of the 'celebrity culture', but one hopes it may last and grow. In fact, scantily dressed females, in a chaps hat can look quite exhilarating most times..... power to the female I say !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot