Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deck Jacket thread.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I got mine for around 500 quid and I think there was a similar sale on the classifieds for a size 40 a year or two ago.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Beat me to it. 2Xs the price of Ih and the stitching might be crap. No thanks, and there is zero chance the Fw is as warm as the Dehen if that’s your primary concern.
The fact that Freewheelers has actual alpaca in the sleeves and the flannel layer means this is not guaranteed as you think. I'm not saying it is or it isn't, just that your assumption isn't including all the information. Plus, that pricing is ridiculous and you can get them for a heck of a lot less than that.

I would actually be interested to see which is warmer. The dehen may be way warmer. I just wish they did the lining in the sleeves too. That would be so incredibly soft and plush. I'd even be willing to pay more for it.

That said, yeah the stitching is not pretty on the FW. That part is inarguable and it does make me laugh how Freewheelers is so good at leather but so awful with with other jackets, especially given that their shirts and jeans are very nicely made. Im guessing its made at a different location.

breezer

Practically Family
I had a freewheelers deck jacket at one point, an earlier version with a wool collar. It was labelled as a size 40, but it was far too small for me, I would say it was more like a 36. Nice jacket but I had to move it on.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I had a freewheelers deck jacket at one point, an earlier version with a wool collar. It was labelled as a size 40, but it was far too small for me, I would say it was more like a 36. Nice jacket but I had to move it on.
Ah I see yeah, sometimes Japanese sizing is unpredictable.

The one I have is also tagged 40 and the P2P is around 22 inches.

theeprimitivesound

Familiar Face
Picked up this Spiewak deck jacket in a vintage store 6 months ago, $70, its well lined, Mouton fur collar, really warm for the Canadian winters.

Attachments

• 20231024_171645.jpg
    20231024_171645.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 80

realgone

Familiar Face
It's deck jacket season, and I took a few crummy iPhone pics to show off my favourites. I've owned a few others, but these ones I like to keep in rotation.

The blue one is a sz 40 Real McCoys, purchased new on a trip to Japan. This one is my favourite. Best fit, nicest quality. I've worn it in to the ground over the past few years, so it's had a few repairs, and will continue to do so until it falls off of me.

IMG_8333 2.jpg

The khaki USN stencilled N1 is a Buzz Rickson's, tagged large. It has that weird high armpit thing going on, so it's difficult to layer. I had the sleeves shortened a bit. It's a bit long, but feels good. A lovely jacket, though I think I will move this one along unless I start wearing it more often.

IMG_8334.jpg

The brown one is a medium Pike Bros. I purchased here from Claybertrand just last spring. It's the shortest, which I don't mind, and has the narrowest waist, which helps with the cold. A very thick, heavy duty jacket. I had the sleeves trimmed up a bit. This one has been getting the most wear this season so far. IMG_8335.jpg

barnabus

One Too Many
It's deck jacket season, and I took a few crummy iPhone pics to show off my favourites. I've owned a few others, but these ones I like to keep in rotation.

The blue one is a sz 40 Real McCoys, purchased new on a trip to Japan. This one is my favourite. Best fit, nicest quality. I've worn it in to the ground over the past few years, so it's had a few repairs, and will continue to do so until it falls off of me.

View attachment 568264

The khaki USN stencilled N1 is a Buzz Rickson's, tagged large. It has that weird high armpit thing going on, so it's difficult to layer. I had the sleeves shortened a bit. It's a bit long, but feels good. A lovely jacket, though I think I will move this one along unless I start wearing it more often.

View attachment 568265

The brown one is a medium Pike Bros. I purchased here from Claybertrand just last spring. It's the shortest, which I don't mind, and has the narrowest waist, which helps with the cold. A very thick, heavy duty jacket. I had the sleeves trimmed up a bit. This one has been getting the most wear this season so far. View attachment 568266

All great, but the RMC looks excellent, like you live in it.

CatsCan

Practically Family
They all look good on you!
Almost surprises me how good the Pike Brothers looks on you.
Had you also altered the sleeve width at your Pike Brothers? If so, did they manage to get the seams like they were before, don't know how it is called, but I mean those two parallel rows)? My Pike Brothers is the only of my N-1s that I only put on in front of my mirror only to find it wrong all over. I have overdyed it with gray and the colour now is almost perfectly matching well preserved originals I have seen. It is just that something in the cut is strange. I am still wondering what to tell my tailor to get it right. It is wide and big enough (oversized for me) to alter things. At the moment I tend towards slimming the sleeves tapered to a more snug cuff, taking the chest in at the pits about an inch each side and reducing the curve of the armhole and thus "re-setting" the sleeves right. It will probably make it more rectangular instead of barrel or trapezoidal shaped. I am also contemplating about replacing the liner with Steiff Schulte Alpaca. Meanwhile I have three other N-1s to wear. But the Jungle Cloth shell and construction of the Pike is the best I have seen and handled. Such a brilliant cloth. If it only had not all the other issues.

Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
I found some nice Original WWII photos, which were completely unknown to me until recently (and I have searched the internet often times for years, still seem to have overlooked those). All types of 1940s N-1s are seen, from Zip to Hook, from Blue to Olive-"Khaki", from fur lined cuff to unlined cuff and also the N-1 Parka, Hooded.
Maybe good to share them here:
3 on one.jpg
PT 304 2.jpg
PT 304.jpg
PT-511.jpg
US PT Boat Crewmen maintenance on machine guns.jpg

US PT Boat Crewmen with German POW.jpg
US PT Boat Crewmen working on engine.jpg
US PT Boat crewmen working on engine2.jpg
US PT Boat Crewmen working on engine3.jpg
US PT Boat Crewmen.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 568264

View attachment 568265

The brown one is a medium Pike Bros. I purchased here from Claybertrand just last spring. It's the shortest, which I don't mind, and has the narrowest waist, which helps with the cold. A very thick, heavy duty jacket. I had the sleeves trimmed up a bit. This one has been getting the most wear this season so far. View attachment 568266

Very nice, all three of them.

Surprised, how well you pull of a size medium PB when you wear a 40 in the RMC. I have the later in 44, and the PB in ‚large‘ looks like a potatoe sack on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner